UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> MIT lectures!

5/25/05 4:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dracovich
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-May-05

So i'm doing my electromagnetism course right now, and my lectures are more based on the formulas and the math for the physics, so i've been looking for some extra material to gain some physical intuition, and came across this, thought it might interest others. Seems MIT has some video lectures online forsome of their courses, turns out they hvae their entire EM course online, 36 lectures, and they focus more on whats behind the formulas, perfect supplement for me (although it does cover more and is at a bit higher level then i'm doing it at). Thought you guys might be interested in it, there are some other courses that have the entire lecture season with them. http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoLectures/index.htm
5/25/05 5:15 PM
jgibson

OH yeah, Open Courseware kicks major ass. The Physics videos by Prof. Lewin are excellent.
5/25/05 5:21 PM
dracovich

I agree, just saw the first one yesterdya but thoguht it was excellent, it looks like they cover about DOUBLE of what we do though :o we'll have another course seperate to cover the rest they do there. Not sure if they have fewer courses or if they just learn insane amounts of material in that time, propably the latter since it's MIT :)
5/25/05 6:27 PM
jgibson

Remember, they are on a semester system, so they might have more time to cover more stuff.
5/25/05 6:51 PM
dracovich

Yeah they have more time, but we should be covering about the same, we have a block system here, 4 blocks in one year, 2 courses each block which should have about the same material as a one course in a semester (assuming you have 4 courses each semester), 7 weeks of lectures/problem solving and 2 weeks of exams.
5/25/05 11:30 PM
asdf
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They really do learn more stuff. I compared my intro thermodynamics to the MIT-equivalent course, and the MIT course was way harder, the tests were harder, everything was harder.
5/26/05 12:20 AM
jgibson

Edited: 26-May-05
LOL cajones. Like any of us undergrads could understand that stuff.
6/1/05 1:12 PM
iceman420

Edited: 01-Jun-05
statistical DSP stuff is harder than wavelets IMO
6/1/05 2:23 PM
MITman2k
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OCW's an excellent concept, although there was controversy on campus at the time it was being developed as to concept of showing material online for free. I would say though that its helpful for MIT students too, especially if they miss, or more likely sleep through, a lecture lol. From my experience it's true that some classes are highly condensed. MIT takes Organic Chemistry which is normally two semesters(for pre-med students) and they compress it into one, and they combine Calculus AB and BC into one semester. They do they combine General Chem Lab and Organic Chem into one class. It's good in some ways, because I can get more classes out the way at once. But its not so good when I have a lab report due every two weeks :( But the best thing to do is just pick and choose which sections of Open course ware are relevant for your interests or course syllabus. Oh and btw Walter Lewin is CRAZY haha he taught my 8.01 (Physics I) class, I'll tell you some stories about his antics I have more free time.
6/1/05 4:18 PM
dracovich

" or more likely sleep through," Dude this is my achilles heel, i fall asleep around 60% of all lectures, if i could listen to them at home, and pause them to browse and regain my thought every once in a while, i'd do a lot better.
6/1/05 8:08 PM
MITman2k
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Dude this is my achilles heel, i fall asleep around 60% of all lectures, if i could listen to them at home, and pause them to browse and regain my thought every once in a while, i'd do a lot better." Yeah this happened to me a lot during first semester freshman year, lots of jolt cola solved that problem. Not to throw this thread off track but here's a story about walter lewin; one of my friends wasn't doing well in Physics 1 during the fall semester, so before the final exam he goes to Lewin's office hours and brings in his previous tests so that he can get some advice for the final, and here's what Lewin said after reviewing his grades (in a heavy eastern dutch accent) Lewin:Well it looks like you're hanging on....barely.. but if you fail this next exam, you've had it! I mean, if you came in here with a few points lower on your grades, I'd just tell you to go home...have a fun weekend, because there's no way you're going to pass my exam. (After seeing my friend get teary-eyed) Lewin: Oh, but don't worry! Physics is easier in the spring! Lol, my friend aced the final and passed the class but it's still a funny story that we still laugh about lol
6/2/05 2:53 AM
dracovich

Edited: 02-Jun-05
man that's brutal lol
6/2/05 5:23 PM
dracovich

Edited: 02-Jun-05
I gotta say i love his way of lecturing, right now i'm mostly being lectured in the math, proofs of the equations etc. But i like to do those myself anyway so i really like that he goes more into the understanding of what it reall does and what lies behind the equations. Don't think i'd fall asleep so much if i had lectures like his. P.S. My professor is really good at what he does IMO and does what he deas really well, but i guess it's just different perspectives on how/what to lecture on, and this guys style seems to fit how i learn better.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.