UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Stop With The Made Up Styles?

5/26/05 10:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
F-15
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-May-05
David Vieira BJJ / Tampa CombaT

Why do so many people get a black belt in something and then think they can make up a style of training?  There are way too many people creating martial arts styles out there.  It's sickening.

Generally it's a TaeKwonDo or Karate person who's reached Black Belt, cross-trained in a few other styles and decides to give it a new name and then call themselves GrandMaster. 

Then they either start a new Federation themselves or join one created by another self-made GrandMaster to create the appearance of officiality for their style. 

Earning a Black Belt used to mean something.  It used to be respected.  It used to be honorable.  But now, it's hardly as respected as before.  Because too many people are earning Black Belts in a year and a half and in homemade systems like KarateJiuThaiShimDo-KaiRyu.

I'd like to see how many made up styles we can come up with.  Please list legit, made up styles and weblinks if possible; and we'll see how many we can come up with.     

5/27/05 10:05 AM
Willybone
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-May-05 10:17 AM
I also shake my head at the incredible speed that people can come up with names for styles. Some of them have good ideas, like Combat Hapkido, but I really do question how many of them are really different than their source style.

No one, but no one, beats Yellow Bamboo for crazy.

5/28/05 12:28 PM
Bunkou
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-May-05
Actually, I would argue that making up your own style is just as traditional as staying within the school you started. Kano, Funakoshi, Oyama, Choi, Lee...all of them broke away and started their own styles (and Kano only had four years of JJJ). I think it's good for MA in general for everyone to find their own approach and modify their systems to address different things.
5/30/05 4:15 PM
lerdrit

Edited: 30-May-05
Bunkou has just reverse punched the correct in the nuts. Most all "traditional" styles are a blend of arts.
5/31/05 4:15 PM
Robkali

Edited: 31-May-05
I was gonna write what Bunkou wrote... It just in the last 50 or so years that there has been no progression. It like all the "founders" died off & nobody had any better ideas so everything just froze...
5/31/05 11:03 PM
springy palm

Edited: 31-May-05
I think It all comes down to how and why the practioner is creating there own style. The grandmasters of the martial systems that have survived to this day and timee, created there system based on a philosophy or an theory that they found interesting, then cross trained in different arts to find techniques that harmonizes with this philosophy/theory. Alot of people these days try to make up there own style or system based on taking different techniques from different martial arts but don't have an theory/philosophy undermining it, therefore the style/system can look one way one day and another way the next day. The grandmater will always have to play an cathing up game with his styles techniques because someone will always find out counters for the techniques of what his/her system uses and use them against it. If the style/system that is made has an theory behind it, then all the practioner/grandmaster has to do is apply it to modern training and matial techniques. What will happen is the practioner/grandmater will start to create and notice new techniques based on the style/systems theory/philosophy, which is the process of Evolution.
6/1/05 1:25 PM
e. kaye

Edited: 01-Jun-05
I would agree that for the most part most "made up" arts are an amalgam of either an existing art or arts. And usually not done as well as the original. However, every once in a while someone does some up with something truly unique. While it is a rare occurence, it does happen. I think that you just have to make your own judgements on the value of what someone has to teach.
7/30/05 9:39 AM
Vinyasana

Edited: 30-Jul-05
All Arts are made up, someone named them and taught them, tradition does not in itself legitimize an art, the underlying principles and fundamental structure legitimize an Art. Kano at the age of 22yrs developed an underlying principle and approach to apply to the Jujutsu he knew and practiced. Lee did the same, this is a good thing, breaking with tradition tends to freshen things up a bit.
8/4/05 3:49 PM
Subadie

Edited: 04-Aug-05
Yellow Bamboo There was a video clip going around the internet not long ago about a Australian ? BJJ school challenging some YB masters regarding their claim of being able to repel an attack without touching. Basically the video just showed the BJJ guys running into and knocking them over. LOL
8/4/05 5:20 PM
m.g
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Aug-05
I agree with Vinyasana. EVERY style or system are made up and ultimately go through a process of formation, formalization, and establishment as a style, system and tradition. No so-called style or system created itself and no style or system always existed. If you what a list of "made up" styles then you might as well list evry single existing style. And every existing style is born out a a previously existing style (it can also be said that every existing style will, sooner or later give birth to offshoot styles). What often happens is as the style or system become remove or distanced from its "creators" or "developers" due to time (age) and or the death (of the creators/develops) the the style or system loses something. It is the creator/developer of the style which gives the style life and direction because he or she create it with a specific purpose and intention in mind. And when this connection (between creator/developer and creation) is lost then the style or system goes in a direction which the creator didn't originally have in mind to take it. So ultimately you have a styles and systems which have been inherited by people as traditions which aren't "exactly" what the styles creators originally create. They have been dilute by the interpretation of those who inherited. Face the only person who can really apply a system or style exactly as intented by its creator is the person who created it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.