UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> long capoeira article

7/20/05 5:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stickgrappler
1710 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-05
PRINTIng for train ride home.
7/23/05 3:11 AM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jul-05
Coachpit: There is a gentleman in Wisconsin by the name of Ed Powe who is a well known author and student of the African arts. Mr. Powe has conducted years of research and has compiled somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 volumes of personal, intense research into the African Diaspora/Arts. I'm sure at some point Dr. Thompson has crossed paths with Dr. Powe. I came across Dr. Powe through Mestre Cobra Mansa in Washington D.C., who is one of the premiere Angola Masters in the U.S. and internationally. They often hold lectures at Mestre C.Mansa's school. If you're ever in the D.C. area, you might want to check the lectures out. "Massive emerging evidence, linking mani to ladja to capoeria will one day reveal one of the most dramatic Kongoisms of them all." Interesting to see how you would like all 3 arts, as Mani is a Cuban dance/stickfighting form, Ladja/Danyme is more of an African MMA, combining stand up and ground, and of course Capoeira, we are all aware of, is primarily standup. "As a variety of black dances were pulled together in the formation of the Lindy of the 30's and the electric boogie opf the 80's. So Brazilian capoeira fused the ancient head-butts (cabecadas and kicks (pontapies) together with the one leg bent and the other extended gesture (Brazilians call it negative, and it is classically defense, as in Kongo) and so forth." What they're talking about here is the Negativa, which is a dodge to avoid an attack, primarily a kick or galopante/punch. Basically, you drop to the ground on both hands, leaning to one side, extending one leg out while the other is bent for support. The extended leg can also be used to hook your opponent's heel for a sweep. I was talking to a mate of mine who trains with another Capoeira group. He mentioned a guy in his capoeira class was at work on a construction site. Apparently the crane operator was not paying attention and swung the load at several workers. This poor bastard used a Negativa by instinct to avoid being hit, as he only had seconds to react to the crane swinging at him and his coworkers.
7/23/05 10:16 PM
coachpit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jul-05
Takedown... I hear you good points, I have a freind that knows Ed very well. and I have some of his work. The reason I brought up Dr Thompson essay was due to the many years that he's been researching the art( African Art). He is also intiated in The Ifa traidition. So he would see things that most people would miss. As for Mani and Ldaja they have some of the same elements that still link them to the old fight. Most of what we see today has been modified. I have family in D.C. And I've been by that school a few times, So I will surely drop in. As for the dances like the Liddy hop, they are modifeld from the fighting knowa as KNK that was done here, and whose hey day was during the Jazz era. Once the music changed i.e. doowop and R&B, the fight style changed from KnK, and phased into JailHouse Boxing, and with the birth of Hiphop two forms took place 52hb and Breaking. Early breaking was closer to the fighting stlye , than what we see today. In Brooklyn they have a saying Rah Rah which when you look it up you'll find that it's associated with Ritual Stick fighting in the Diaspora. The other side of the coin is the free style rasling as it's called. trip and flip. So there is plenty of info on the elements, it's the names for these things that is up in the air. Another connect to what Dr. Thompson spoke of is the Gullah people in the south they still have a strong connection to our West African roots. And most of the KnK fighting moves comes from them, as elder have comfirmed several movements for me. Lastly Tap dancing of the late 1800's became the footwork of many southern boxers, so I'm sure this was what started KnK (as Knocking implies boxing and butting). Peace and thanks for the info.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.