UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Any HS teachers here?

6/9/05 10:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jun-05

I accidentally killed my own previous thread.
Are there any high school teachers here? Science maybe?
Do you like the job?
How's the pay in your area?
Anyone regret the career choice and why?

I'm back in school right now, looking to get a physics and secondary education degree. My projected course load is pretty overwhelming.
6/17/05 8:27 PM
Willybone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jun-05
I am also hoping that a teaching degree will improve my fighting skills, but I think science guys do more standup.
6/24/05 12:30 AM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jun-05
ive thought about teaching high school for a while now. Most kids today are total bastards though. I think the only way I could pull it would be to teach at a prep school or something
6/24/05 4:33 PM
The Hook

Edited: 24-Jun-05
Are there any high school teachers here? Science maybe? Me, but I teach French Do you like the job? Good days and bad days, like any How's the pay in your area? I live in a piss poor area and I found out that I am way above average income. BUT, I coach three sports and drive a bus and those things help. Don't get into teaching for the money. Anyone regret the career choice and why? In a way, I regret it, because I don't make a ton of money, but I get June and July OFF, so it's nice those two months. Any more questions, I'll try to help. BTW, this made my 6th year teaching.
6/30/05 3:14 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-05
I use to want to be a teacher. I did substitute teaching for a couple of semesters and I realized that (unless I use physical force) I can't control the little bastard kids. Kids are just crazy these days. On top of that majority of the kids in this area just don't care.
7/1/05 3:14 PM
Willybone

Edited: 01-Jul-05
Don't get into teaching for the money.
I'm not. It has much more to do with doing something I can take pride in. Right now, I'm a code monkey writing bullshit finance stuff for people I despise.
I love science, and have a much higher tolerance for teenagers than most people. People seem to think I'm a good teacher when I do training sessions at work.
Are you finished with your master's yet? Were you teaching while doing your master's studies?

lilJiuJitsuChick, that's pretty ambitious. Math teachers seem to be in very high demand from what I can see, too. Here in NYC, they're willing to make some big exceptions to get people into their Teaching Fellows program if you're willing to teach math. You don't even need a math degree to get started.
9/3/05 12:59 AM
jscorbett
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Sep-05

Are there any high school teachers here?

--yep

Science maybe?

--agriculture.  i teach forestry, wildlife (how to grow and harvest deer), 2 science credit agriculture courses

Do you like the job?

--yes and no.  yes for working with a few great kids.  see this thread My student does well .being their friend.

no for some of the smartass administrators that i work with.

How's the pay in your area?

--mine is pretty good.  however, i have a doctorate and work 1 hour after school and 40 days in the summer.  i work alot.  i am confident that i will retire making well over $100K.

Anyone regret the career choice and why?

--yes and no.  yes for the discipline problems, the tedium of doing the same thing repeatedly, the long hours, and the smartasses i work with.

no for the great kids i do get to work with.

hit me with some more questions anytime.

9/3/05 4:41 AM
dracovich

Edited: 03-Sep-05
Man knowing what kind of a dick i was in school to some teachers (and my class as a whole, making some cry etc) i don't think i'd ever get into teaching lol. Although my dad (teacher for propably 20 years) says that those make the best teachers usually.
9/6/05 2:04 PM
Willybone

Edited: 06-Sep-05
hit me with some more questions anytime.
Thanks, man. I'm started my secondary education classes next semester, so I may have some.

hose make the best teachers usually.
I'm hoping that's the case with me, too. I was not so nice to some teachers if I could sense weakness. So, at least I know to show no weakness.
9/6/05 2:10 PM
dracovich

Edited: 06-Sep-05
It's weird how some teachers just demand respect without ever even raising their voice. In my last yaer of highschool i was in the trouble class of the school pretty much, still some pretty intelligent dudes in there, but still gave teachers hell etc. Well we got this math teacher, that just as soon as he walked in, everyone shut up, and he never even had to say shh or whatever, there was ALWAYS quiet in his classroom. He always had a very stoic and strict look, never smiled, but never in a bad mood either, just insanely professional, and the dude REALLY knew his stuff. I'd gotten around 6-7 (on a 1-10 scale) in math all my years, and i got a 9,5 with him, bar none the best teacher i've ever had, and i propably would've never gotten the courage to get into something as hard as physics if i hadn't had him as a teacher. Always amazed me how he could control the entire class without even trying, i think it has a lot to do with the fact like you said, he never showed any weakness (or any emotion really). I've actually thought about contacting him just sending him a line saying that if it wasn't for him i propably wouldn't have gotten into physics, but it seems too much like an episode out of boston public or something lol, bit mushy for my style.
12/15/05 1:08 PM
chesskingjt

Edited: 15-Dec-05
I used to teach middle and high school English in Prince George's County, MD, DC, and in NYC. I sucked as a teacher to be honest because I had poor classroom management skills; in other words, I was too nice. I got out of teaching and now work for the government and I'm a lot happier and a lot less stressed. I think teaching is one of the hardest jobs because you have to combine classroom management with good lesson plans. Additionally, the paperwork will drive you insane. In short, it just wasn't for me. All those things should be considered before going into the teaching profession. You definitely have to have thick skin because the inner city kids do not hold their tongues. After teaching in Brooklyn for 2 years(East New York)I knew it was time to get the f..k out of teaching.
12/15/05 4:47 PM
Willybone

Edited: 15-Dec-05
You definitely have to have thick skin because the inner city kids do not hold their tongues.

I think I'm going to have to do my student teaching in the city, but once I get the degree, I plan on splitting the city, if not the state, and finding something out in the 'burbs.
2/13/06 11:22 PM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Feb-06
I am an English teacher in training, and I had an interesting discussion with a teacher that I am doing field experience work with this semester. We were talking about how students who would misbehave in classes taught by smallish women were perfectly well behaved in the courses taught by large males. Apparently physical intimidation still works, especially in areas where the kids make comments like, "He could throw me through a wall." Maybe this is an area fit for men. Have any other teachers out there had similar experiences?
2/15/06 9:45 PM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Feb-06
Yeah, I assumed it was the opposite in most other places. I am in Southeastern Minnesota and have been doing my Field Experience work at various small to mid-sized high schools. This has come up in a number of situations. Most often, it isn't even a fear thing. The size factor is just another way of getting respect. These kids also respect those instructors that they know were good athletes in high school and college. Now that some have seen me on the local news doing MMA, I get this respect even more. I guess it is just easier for those of us outside of the cities.
2/16/06 9:53 AM
Willybone

Edited: 16-Feb-06
BigRed, what did you teach and where?
2/17/06 12:38 PM
Willybone

Edited: 17-Feb-06
What subject did you teach?

Middle school must have been hellish. I remember what I was like during that time, and there's no way I'd want to stand in front of a group of kids like I was.
2/20/06 3:47 PM
Willybone

Edited: 20-Feb-06
A friend of mine teaches at a very schmancy private school in NYC. Because the parents pay so much in tuition, administration will make ANY allowance for the kids, so they can keep getting the tuition money.
Recently, he was told that one (perfectly normal, in his opinion) girl had special needs for exams. So, he was told to let her take it on any day she wanted, in a seperate room alone, with as much time as she needed, any music playing on the radio that she wanted, and if she felt like getting out of her chair and walking the halls, she could. "She'll do better on tests if she gets these considerations."
His response was, "I'd grade papers much better if I could have a fat joint and a blowjob while working, so hook me up."
2/21/06 9:25 AM
Willybone

Edited: 21-Feb-06
*unrelated note*
So weird... I posted up two replies (posts 19 and 20), but they didn't show up until BigRedMackDaddy posted up the 21st. When I deleted 20, both mine and BRMD's posts vanished again.
I'm putting this one in again to see if it causes my and BRMD's posts to reappear.
This forum is strange.
4/24/06 3:52 AM
FightFan424

Edited: 24-Apr-06
ttt
5/2/06 6:03 PM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-May-06
Most jobs in education require a specific personality type. The job description for most educators changes very little. Once you receive all of our education and hone your skills, very few people with that level of training are ok with a the same job description for the rest of their career with little room for advancement compared to jobs in private industry that require the same amount of training and education.
3/27/07 3:30 PM
New2MMA
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-07
I am considering making this my last year in education. Every year I second guess what I am doing and why. In short, teaching can be a great job when you have a group of students who are interested, learning, and willing to put in the work. The thing about teaching is that when it's good, it's great, but when it's bad, it's BAD. Lately for me, it's been bad. I've been teaching physics, chemistry and physical science for the last four years. It's been a wild ride that's had me hopping around a bit, I've seen a few different schools, and even the best school that I was in had some rediculous bullshit with parents, kids and even an administrator or two. If you want to go into teaching, God bless you. I highly advise it to anyone who really cares about kids and their learning, and I warn you to brace yourself and know what you are getting into.
6/1/07 1:45 PM
ReneH

Edited: 01-Jun-07
I used to teach, for over 8 years, and I would not do it again. Unless your a Christian, maybe you experience will be better. There are so many negatives I would not know where to begin, but don't do it!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.