UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> 19yr old thinking of joining navy

6/12/05 2:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BuuDa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Jun-05

I have a couple questions, though: My recruiter told me about 2.7% of people in the Navy get deployed to war, since they work more with technical things. And on top of that he said you had to be an upscale Navy officer to even be a consideration to fight on the ground. But, on the other hand, my mother has a boyfriend that served in the air force for a couple years, and he says he knows a couple of Navy men who were sent over to fight in Iraq, and that the chance of me fighting in Iraq or something like that is higher than they say. My mind was made up to go to the Navy until I talked to him, and now I'm not quite sure. I'm confused about the navy deployment thing. I guess I'm asking for anyone with navy experience to give me thier perspective on Navy deployment, because it is a big concern of mines. Second, what are my chances of getting a base in Chicago. There's a school I want to go to(Columbia College Chicago). Third, I'm aware I'll be deployed to do missions every so often if enlisted in the navy. My question is how often will this happen and generally for how long? What are the missions like for those who have been sent to do certain missions in the Navy? That is all.
6/12/05 4:27 PM
StephenL

Edited: 12-Jun-05 04:37 PM
the army stopped recruiting for a day as their lies were getting as wild as your recruiter. from what i heard, the navy really only patrols the inland waters of the US. the navy parks all their B2 bombers in a chicago base. stephen
6/13/05 9:10 AM
noshame
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jun-05
If you were a Corpsman (Navy speak for "medic"), you would almost certainly go to the war. In that case, you ucould even be serving right next to infantrymen. God bless the Corpsmen!
6/13/05 6:16 PM
TapoutRookie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is it that you want to do in the Navy. I have 11 years in, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask away and I'll answer them the best I can. You chances of going to war very with what job you take. Corpsman, Seabee, etc have a good chance of going. Your chance of getting stationed in Chicago your first tour are going to be pretty slim. Most often you will hit the fleet for your first tour and then have shore duty for you second...but again that all depends on what job you want to do.
6/13/05 7:27 PM
saint39

I hate to back up recruiters, but that percentage--even though he probably pulled it out of his ass--may be fairly close to reality. The vast majority of the Navy are stationed on ships(at least for their first tour), so unless you are one of a few specific jobs--SEAL, SWCC, Seabee, EOD, MA, CT, possibly diver, you have very little chance of being on the ground in Iraq.
6/13/05 8:05 PM
TapoutRookie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You were also asking about missions...Are you talking about being specops,or seabee type jobs? I am a Seabee and our deployment to Iraq was for 9 months. We have other specific missions that we goto, but they very in time from 3 weeks to a year. It all depends on the job and the size of the workload.
6/13/05 8:42 PM
BuuDa

My main concern is the on ground fighting with guns. If I can do anything not to have to worry about potentially fighting or killing overseas I sure as hell will. What's the best jobs to take to assure that I don't have to do any of that?
6/13/05 8:48 PM
BuuDa

Edited: 13-Jun-05 08:48 PM
Double post
6/14/05 6:45 AM
noshame
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jun-05
oops- Forgot to give props to the "Fightin' Seabees"!!
6/14/05 1:32 PM
TapoutRookie

Well if you don't want to hit the ground, then you don't want Corpsman, Seabee's, EOD or SpecWar. Your best bet would be to find a job that is mostly ship based. Look at the avation fields, fire control ( ship board weapons), mail person, or even some of the paperwork type positions. A good rate is the BM rate...it sucks a little in the beginning, but once you make some rank, it rocks. Like I said, it all depends what you are looking to do. What is it you want to learn? Maybe you can check out the Coast Guard also. They have some really good jobs and are becomming more police type jobs.
6/14/05 3:18 PM
HotSpar

If you're worried about going places then stay at home. The Navy tends to deploy on these things called ships...they float on oceans. Not to many oceans in Chicago. Maybe the coast gaurd or something is more up your alley. Why not just go to school since that's what it sounds like you want to do anyway. If you're in the navy chances are you are going to do a float. Kirk Sgt/USMC
6/15/05 9:23 PM
HotSpar

Edited: 15-Jun-05
If your scared to go to "war" then don't join the armed forces. Go to school in Chicago. Why are you even looking at the Navy anyway? It sounds like you don't want to commit. But...there is the reserves so you could be a weekend warrior.
6/16/05 8:11 AM
StephenL

Edited: 16-Jun-05
but if you spend 6 months on a boat, you may not mind getting a little dust in your socks. hang out on a boat or sub. stephen
6/18/05 12:59 PM
saint39

Edited: 18-Jun-05
Actually, even in this day and age with the war and everything, I have seen Hospital Corpsman come through basic and school(which is in Great Lakes--North Chicago) and then be stationed in Great Lakes for their first tour. But that's a big gamble if your worried about going to combat.
6/21/05 5:06 PM
Shogun of Harlem
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jun-05
"My recruiter told me about 2.7% of people in the Navy get deployed to war, since they work more with technical things." He might be talking about when there is a war. Almost everyone in the Navy gets deployed. "And on top of that he said you had to be an upscale Navy officer to even be a consideration to fight on the ground. But, on the other hand, my mother has a boyfriend that served in the air force for a couple years, and he says he knows a couple of Navy men who were sent over to fight in Iraq, and that the chance of me fighting in Iraq or something like that is higher than they say. My mind was made up to go to the Navy until I talked to him, and now I'm not quite sure. I'm confused about the navy deployment thing. I guess I'm asking for anyone with navy experience to give me thier perspective on Navy deployment, because it is a big concern of mines." Typically, you will leave for 6 months and then be home for 12 to 18 while on sea duty. On shore duty, you will not deploy. "Second, what are my chances of getting a base in Chicago. There's a school I want to go to(Columbia College Chicago)." Slim and none. "Third, I'm aware I'll be deployed to do missions every so often if enlisted in the navy. My question is how often will this happen and generally for how long? What are the missions like for those who have been sent to do certain missions in the Navy?" Depends on your job (rate). See above post. Any other questions?
6/29/05 11:25 AM
sd121

Edited: 29-Jun-05
If you don't want to have some hand in kiling terrorists, don't join the military. We don't want you.
6/29/05 2:39 PM
TapoutRookie

Edited: 29-Jun-05
Funny thing is the people who are so against the war don't realize that thier tax dollars are going to the military, and in the small of it all, they take part in the war by financially supporting it. hahahha...fucking bleeding hearts!! CM3 Laube USNR SEABEE!!!!
7/14/05 1:54 AM
badboyhere
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jul-05
is there a big reason u want to go to the military?
7/14/05 5:52 PM
IrishJiuJitsu

Edited: 14-Jul-05
As of today, there are over 4000 Sailors on the ground in Iraq. That is a small number compared to the Army and Marines but it's a hefty # considering the Navy's primary purpose in this war. Your recruiter is telling you essentially what you want to hear, since in the end, he has a goal he needs to meet at the end of the week. If you want to talk to someone who isn't a recruiter, has been on deployments and has a good idea of what Navy life will be like outside of the SpecWar/SeaBee Navy....then feel free to email me @ STLOTC03@MEPCOM.Army.Mil
7/24/05 1:42 PM
hellstrangle

Edited: 24-Jul-05
Best chance of getting staioned in Chicago (great lakes) Go Corpsman (HM), kick ass in "a" school, hope they give you a choice in orders (they sometimes do for the top couple of places in a class, but no guarantee.) and ask for the hospital there. But you run the risk of not getting your choice and being sent fleet marine force (marines' medics). If you are worried about going to war then you don't want to be there.
7/24/05 9:00 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jul-05
Don't join the Marines.
7/25/05 12:17 AM
Frog66

Edited: 25-Jul-05
If you don't want to go to war, don't join up...we don't want you. Go to school and stay safe. The MEN will continue to do the fighting.
8/11/05 12:57 PM
hellstrangle

Edited: 11-Aug-05
Isn't Coast Guard part of the navy in a time of war? Has that changed with the Homeland defence shuffleing around?
9/7/07 6:10 PM
Esteban Barragan

Edited: 07-Sep-07
Does anyone have ne experience being a FMF corpsmen? I am finishing up some college credit for enlistment and am thinking of three MOSs: corpsmen, EOD or CTI. Anyone go through any of these?
9/7/07 9:27 PM
TapoutRookie

Edited: 07-Sep-07
I worked with several EOD and Corpsman. I knew plenty of FMF guys. You have any questions?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.