UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> I can't grasp Heidegger

10/9/05 8:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Subadie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Oct-05 08:33 PM
OK, but Sartre is special to me. There is another thread here about what philosophers effected us spiritually. I did not put Sartre but I should have. Sartre to me is like an ideal, one that can be approached only, but never closely.
10/10/05 9:04 AM
sanguine cynic

Edited: 10-Oct-05
Explain to me the signifigance of Sartre, who I loved when I first read as well. And why would you aspire to be like him, I think he was miserable?
10/10/05 9:18 AM
Subadie

Edited: 10-Oct-05 09:45 AM
He had an ideal, inspired by his philosophy. Complete responsibility for one's actions. No blaming "pre-reflective dipositions," no blaming others, no blaming circumstances. We are thus free to an extent beyond what we would like to think ourselves to be. Did I say I anted to be like him ? Well if I did, I'm wrong, as it would be too difficult to constantly maintain such knowledge of responsibility and freedom. I feel glad someone did though. He may have been miserable, but this may have come from his constant remembering of his personal responsibility His being miserable fell from his never being able to meet what he thought was required of him. His life though clearly showed the practical applicatin of his goals, and the world is a better place for it. This is appropriate for a Heidegger discussion. I saw the first post and wanted to respond. Heidegger is intellectually stimulating and he is clearly a top philosopher of the century. However, I believe that I am a better person for Sartre. How many can say this for Heidegger ? A better philosopher maybe, a better person, no. This is why its such a pity regarding his choices re Nazism. If he had not felt compelled to expel ethics from his philosophy, perhaps I would be saying Heigegger is the man.
11/22/05 11:09 PM
goodandevil

Edited: 22-Nov-05
Heidegger has ruined me as Nitzsche ruined him. I too am "kaput" Fucking Heidegger. Dasien, give me dasein. Heidegger reposits metaphyisics as ontotheology, therefore makin everything. Heidegger's "being and time" is also his fitst thinking. Heideggers later thinking is mostly on metaphyiscs as ontotheolgy and over coming Nitezsche's will to power: as explained in the "super man" and the "last man" who blinks. The struggle out of Nilism is the power, the salvation from Nilism. More is requested, Heidegger scholar. James
11/22/05 11:22 PM
goodandevil

Heidegger puts forth that we as beings may experiance " beings as a whole". (87). Ahd that they may manifest themslves in to us, as beings, in unknow ways. Ways that we particeapate in but do not see,
11/22/05 11:32 PM
goodandevil

Edited: 22-Nov-05 11:45 PM
It very well nay be that Heideggers thinking resists. But this is not true. For Heideggers think is based in the thinking of the Greeks. And this thinking does indeed put fotth being and beings being.
11/22/05 11:37 PM
goodandevil

Also I have many articles and papers on Heidgger. Good Stuff.
12/17/05 8:40 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 17-Dec-05

"honestly, some of heidegger's concepts, when interpreted by other thinkers, make some sense to me, but reading his original texts I don't have the faintest idea what he was trying to get at. "

now when I have studied Heidegger at university exclusively for two full weeks, I can only agree with you Bombshelter. If heidegger has some good point(s) to make (which I also doubt btw), he has for sure made it hard to understand it.

1/31/06 11:13 PM
vanbjj

Edited: 31-Jan-06 11:14 PM
Though Heidegger and especially Sartre are unfashionable in postmodern circles, most of the pedants who seek to diminish their importance haven't studied them very thoroughly. It is quite possible to appreciate Deleuze, Lyotard, Lacan, and Derrida at the same time as both Heidegger and Sartre. It's only small-minded dogmatists who think that it's an either-or proposition. Quite the opposite, you're going to have a pretty limited understanding of the so-called postmodern thinkers without a firm understanding of the intellectual environment from which they emerged.
10/13/06 3:12 PM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-06
Dogbert, you are a moron. Heidegger was not a "high ranking Nazi". Actually, the Nazi party hated Heidegger. Being and Time is probably the most important book of the 20th century. All contemporary European philoosphy begins in dialogue with it.
10/14/06 5:31 AM
Gorgeous

Edited: 14-Oct-06
Did whoever started this thread pass or fail?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.