UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Catfishing

6/16/05 6:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WowUTapFast
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jun-05

Hey guys, I went to a local lake by me. The Bass werent hitting at all. I tried Catfishing for the first time. I used Chicken livers since I heard they really like that. I caught 7 fish with one that was really big. Since this was the first time, I never realized how slimey these fish are. How are you supposed to hold them? I know with bass, you just grip their mouth and you have good control. But how do you hold the catfish? Plus, every one swallowed the hook. I had a hell of a time trying to unhook and release them. Any tips?
6/18/05 10:33 AM
Istoleclaveauspizza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Jun-05
set the hook early on them.. let then run for 3 seconds then set the hook... I hold then by the tail and with my other hand under holding the body
6/19/05 1:17 AM
WowUTapFast
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Jun-05
thanks...but they are slimey bastards aren't they?
6/19/05 10:36 PM
Istoleclaveauspizza

Edited: 19-Jun-05
they really are. I remeber nights where I was peeling slime of my hands hours later.. but the are a great fight and they taste really good as well
6/27/05 6:05 PM
Munkehed
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jun-05
I grab them by the mouth. The slime comes off if you wash your hands off in the water.
6/30/05 8:44 AM
ez

Edited: 30-Jun-05
If you are planning on releasing them, its not necessary to remove the hook.Just cut the line close to the hook.Often if you try to remove the hook (if its deep)you will end up causing more damage.Eventually the hook will rust away or weaken and become dislodged.I have pond and everyone in the neighborhood fishs it .We practice catch and release so i know this works.They are slimy and watch out for the thorns.If you get a chance try cut eel for bait .They love it here in s.c.
8/7/05 11:18 PM
crazyhook

Edited: 07-Aug-05
try a treble hook with 3 or 4 nightcrawlers.. or a dead leopard frog
8/9/05 10:37 PM
Jacob Lamb
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Aug-05
If you can't get the hook out, try cutting the end with the barb off then pulling it out. If you have to leave the hook in, try cutting as much of the hook off as you can. If you leave the whole hook in, it can get in the way of the fish eating...
8/19/05 10:58 AM
Stronghold
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Aug-05
Needlenose plyers and use tri-hooks on Cats.
8/19/05 5:14 PM
Jacob Lamb
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Aug-05
A guy caught a 33.5 pound catfish at a lake right by my house last week... The state record here is 36 pounds... I fish at that lake probably once a week, not for catfish though...
7/29/06 1:55 AM
JKING
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jul-06
I have used worms, gold fish with tails cut off same with small blue gill, stink bait (sonny's is the best), old rotten fish that have been left in a jar for a few weeks works good too. I am hosting a catfish tourny August 5. It should be fun.
3/1/09 6:56 AM
Byrd

never let a catfish run. set the hook asap when he starts to run. grab them like a bass. use live or fresh cut bait.
3/5/09 1:16 PM
Stronghold
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/6/09 11:49 PM
ThousandYrdStare

Edited: 03/06/09 11:51 PM
I usually get the most bites with channel and blue catfish between midnight and 4am. I'll put two night crawlers on a treble hook and rest my pole on a Y stick and wait.

Since I'm not actually holding a rod for the majority of my time fishing, I found these glow-sticks that attach to the tip of my rod to tell when I get a hit. They glow for 4-5 hours and are like $4 for 4 (rod connectors included) in the fishing section at Wal-Mart. Dick's Sporting Goods sells an upgraded version of it that has bells on the rod connector as well.

Getting pricked by a catfish sucks for a few hours. Best way to pick up a catfish is to make sure your hand slides behind the three spines (two on the side fins and one on the top). You can always hold it by the mouth, but I'm not a fan of getting bit by things.
4/4/09 7:35 PM
Altair

im a big time cafish and crappie fisherman, but I will be the first to say that im a COWARD when it comes to handling them, im straight yellow after I seen my big bro get stung by one lol
4/24/09 1:36 PM
Byrd

line from the reel then swivel.bead,sinker.bead.swivel. then about six inches of line to the hook. the swivels keep the sinker from sliding when the fish runs causing the hook to set. the beads keep the sinker from damaging the hook. just grab them by the mouth, even 70lbers which ive caught dont bite to bad. use live bluegill for bait for bigger fish.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.