UnderGround Forums

ConspiracyGround >> Believe in Supernatural???

6/21/05 7:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TexArcher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jun-05

Do you? Shit, you should hear these two ladies going off about their own out-of-body experiences and psychics that knew everything about them without even asking a question. These women are in their mid-thirties. Personally, I think it's all complete shit. Her out-of-body experience? It's called a dream. Psychics? Charlatans who use vague imagery to convince the weak-minded. Kind of like horoscopes, they're so completely vague that parts of them apply to anyone. If I read the horoscopes I'm quite certain I can find something for each sign that kind of applied to me at a certain time, if I wanted to believe in it. Ghosts? May be there, who knows. But you've never seen one. Like aliens. Now, deja vu, maybe. If you believe in the Jungian collective unconscious and universal symbols and things like that, that everything that is going to happen has already happened and the imprints of it are in our collective unconcious, then that might explain feelings of deja vu or premonitions. Still, I am EXTREMELY skeptical on this, and it's worth noting that Jung was fully psychotic for several years. But it is the only part of the supernatural that I will not boldly laugh at. Discuss...
6/21/05 7:37 PM
cali_grrl

Yup. I've had some first hand experience (not by choice). I don't fuck with anything that is questionable since. Perhaps I'll tell the story later if I have time. :) Cali
6/21/05 7:41 PM
Redneck
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only an idiot would refuse to accept the possibility that it is real. There is much about the universe that we dont have a clue on, Russia and China have done extensive testing and concluded that the supernatural is real.
6/21/05 7:42 PM
crescentwrench
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. I don't. Aliens aren't supernatural though.
6/21/05 7:44 PM
TexArcher

"Russia and China have done extensive testing and concluded that the supernatural is real." Linky please? Cali, tell the story!!
6/21/05 7:46 PM
Redneck
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Linky please? " Google.com
6/21/05 7:50 PM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely. Especially in regards to on how everything came about and what happens when we die. I love science, but it can't explain everything. I've just always had a gut feeling there is MUCH more than what it seems.
6/21/05 7:54 PM
TexArcher

Okay, amorphous's post made me want to amend my original post slightly: I do believe in a soul and an afterlife, I don't believe in the Heaven/Hell scenario, but consciousness definitely doesn't end here. If you consider that "supernatural", and I guess it is, then that part I believe in. But I also believe that no one knows what happens next. What I'm really getting at is stuff like "psychics", ghost sightings, UFO abductions, stuff like that...
6/21/05 7:55 PM
alpo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why do you say consciousness doesn't end here?
6/21/05 7:56 PM
cali_grrl

It was after my Father died when I was 8 years old... I was pretty fucked up after that because I was left with my Mother who was a total basketcase. I had someone once tell me that Oujia Boards were like telephones to the dead, so I got really into them and trying to communicate with the "dead". So one night, I was at a friends house and we were playing in her attic that had become our playroom. I had learned how to make a makeshift Ouija board by doing some research at a library. I was dead set on trying to contact my father, so we would play with this thing daily. Most nights, it never made any sense, and we started to question whether it was working. This night started much in the same manner...the triangular ruler we were using as a viewfinder, was jumping all over the board REALLY fast. We could hardly keep up. Some of it I could make out as words, but most of it seemed like jibberish. At one point, my friend yanks her hands off the board and turns white as a ghost and says she doesn't want to play anymore. Confused, I ask why. She says that she's not sure, but she thought she read that it was there watching us. I think it's all BS and ask the "spirit" "Where are you?"...to which it spells out H-E-L-L, really slow. Then I ask it, "where do you live?"...and it goes nuts! Darting all over the board again, crazy like. My friend again freaks out and looks like she is about to cry. I ask her again what is wrong, and she tells me that she thought it just spelled out "Y-O-U-R H-O-U-SE C-H-A-R-L-O-T-T-E". Now, if you knew my friend, you would know that she would never try to fake something like this. She looked like she had literally seen a ghost and wasn't willing to continue. After some coaxing, she at least let me ask for some clarification (I know, I was a 9 year old bonehead). So I asked it again, "Where do you live?"...and this time...very slowly, it spelled it out for me...You're house Charlotte. At this point we both freak out, throw the board, go run downstairs into her mothers bed and huddle together saying "hail mary's". The next day we burned the board since that is how we heard you had to get rid of it. The next couple of weeks were VERY bizarre to say the least....Not sure if I want to go into much more detail...but that was the start of it all. Afterthat experience, I have no doubt that there is a Higher Being, and that supernatural shit shouldn't be fucked with. :) Cali
6/21/05 7:57 PM
crescentwrench
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFO wouldn't be supernatural either. Supernatural means beyond natural, which just means anything beyond the properties of the natural world. UFOs have just as much a chance of existing as we did without need of anything beyond natural. As to psychics, ghost sightings, etc. They are truly supernatural since they require things that aren't in the scope of our material world. They also don't exist.
6/21/05 8:02 PM
TexArcher

Edited: 21-Jun-05 08:06 PM
alpo, that's a good question, and I can't fully answer it, I guess I would have to say that I have faith that consciousness doesn't stop when we die. I can't fully justify it and I could very well be wrong, it's just what I believe. redneck, calling someone an idiot for being skeptical of stories that have time and time again proven to be hoaxes is a bit much, don't you think? Whether true suprenatural stories are out there is open to debate, what is not open to debate is the fact that more than 99% of the stories are complete bullshit. Hence skepticism and cynicism make perfect sense. cali, interesting story. Not sure what to make of it...
6/21/05 8:05 PM
cali_grrl

Tex: Let's just say, that it left me with no doubt of the supernatural and it's existence. Things got crazy enough that my Mum had our local priest come and bless the house again. They all thought it was poltergeist type shit that happens with young kids during severe trauma. My room was usually 10-15 degrees colder than the rest of the house. No shit. I think I blame that part of my life for my insomnia. Had some freakish shit happen that I wish I COULD say were dreams. I think years ago, I had told the story on the OG...there may be some that remember it. :) Cali
6/21/05 8:05 PM
bjjdna
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've already posted this but here it is again...info on why people believe in the supernatural by studying indigenous people we can observe a glimpse of our ancestral environment...supernatural belief served the function of dealing with anxiety produced by uncertainty...supernatural thinking derived from environmental conditions not inherent stupidity....we find magical thinking wherever the elements of chance and accident cause swings in hope and fear the vast majority of evolution of the human brain took place in an environment of evolutionary adaptation...an envionment in which our hunter gatherer ancestors had to solve real life threatening problems that we spoiled whiners that live in the modern world of science and technology today never faced superstitious beliefs have survived and flourished in modern times because religious belief is part of human nature...all of us retain elements of our ancestral brains...supernatural beliefs, ufos, esp, faith, gambling, knocking on wood, lucky coins, etc...all part of the same ancestral supernatural belief engine beliefs about our immediate environments are learned through experience...passing on this valuable info was a very beneficial propensity that left more offspring...the magical medicines and spells used both today and by our ancestors were beneficial because sometimes they got it right and a magical medicine actually provided a benefit (pharmaceutical companies gained the monetary benefit...not the indigenous humans who discovered them) the process of forming beliefs however is genetically hardwired...forming true beliefs and superstitious beliefs are part of the same architectural framework of the brain developed in ancestral environments... superstitious belief exists today because of the benefit of pattern seeking and critical thinking...scientific thinking evolved right along with superstitious thinking human's able to recognize beneficial patterns, (magical medicines that helped, recognizing that standing upwind during the hunt is bad, that cow chit is good for crops etc) left more offspring and evolved into skilled pattern seeking animals...both the true and supernatural beliefs evolved together...interesting is that humans are especially attracted to patterns with a spiritual link, ie, virgin mary appears on window in clearwater florida, etc so...there is psychological evidence that pattern seeking, repetition, and superstitious thinking reduces anxiety in uncertain environments...there is medical evidence that prayer, meditation, and worship may lead to greater physical and mental health...and there is anthropological evidence that magicians, priests, shamans, and kings who employ religion as there source of power win more females and the most pathetic of all reasons why people believe is because religion sells...people who have tapped into our ancestral brains have made a fortune
6/21/05 8:07 PM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Psychics I doubt, although there is still a lot to learn in regards to how the human brain works. I definitely believe in ET life, don't know if they've vistited us before. But to think ALL of those people who reported sightings are lying? Who knows. Ghosts are also a possibility. Cali, I want to get a Ouija board now. I wish to summon a demon.
6/21/05 8:08 PM
TexArcher

Great post bjj...
6/21/05 8:11 PM
momita

I went to lay a cross where my son fell from the overpass. I felt sick always wondering how high & him falling, did he know, wishing I could be there to catch him, then seeing it & knowing for sure made me even sicker. I always heard of "things' appearing in pics & didn't really believe, but now I do, cause he was there & he showed up in my picture.
6/21/05 8:14 PM
cali_grrl

Interesting post BJJ!! Dayum, lawdy...I got goosebumps reading that. Maybe if a few more people share, I'll give more gory details.... It's all very strange to even talk about...it's been over 20 years since my experiences, but I can recall them like they were yesterday. I too get goosebumps and have the hair on my neck stand up on end when I talk about it. :) Cali
6/21/05 8:17 PM
Ricky T
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One day I was driving and saw my friend's brother driving his car next to me. I looked over when we came to a stop sign and he looked over at me. That night my friend called me and before he could start the conversation, I told him I saw his brother driving. He asked when and where and I told him earlier that day. He told me that was impossible cause he died the day before. I kept insisting I saw him just a few hours earlier.
cali_grrl

Jinx: The Oujia wasn't even involved when shit started going down. Looking back, it was just the catalyst. Once I had opened that door, I couldn't close it on my own. Even IF she was faking it, and moving it, that doesn't explain the shit that happened in the weeks after. Momita: I'm so sorry for your loss...I can't help but wonder what the background info was on your son...did he jump? Was it in a car accident? Please do not answer if it is too difficult. :( Cali
TexArcher

Edited: 21-Jun-05 08:20 PM
More stories... Convince me... Momita, I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine that pain. What is the picture you speak of in your post, if you don't mind elaborating? You took a photo of the area where he fell and he appeared in the photo?
6/21/05 8:20 PM
jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take this crap to the paranormal ground. Really, it needs the help.
6/21/05 8:21 PM
cali_grrl

Shut up. Is there SERIOUSLY a paranormal ground? I'm an OG snob. This is the only place I visit. (other than an occassional peek at Tapout!) ;) :) Cali
6/21/05 8:25 PM
bjjdna
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in regards to ufos the odds favor life on other planets...the odds do not however favor alien life in ufos buzzing down to our planet for a big mac and then heading back to their own planet...the distances are much to great traveling at the speed of light it would take millions of years for life from other planets just to get here...and that is assuming that there is super intelligent life, that they can travel at the speed of light, and they have an unlimited source of fuel
6/21/05 8:26 PM
jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My brother in skepticism bjjdna has arrived to spread the correct. And yes, there really is a paranormal ground.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.