UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> If you opened a school, knowing...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/23/05 4:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
glock4life
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jun-05

...what you know today, what would you teach?

What I mean is, as either a former TMA'er or as an enlightened TMA'er, would you teach your respective "art" or would you teach a hybrid that included grappling(that is assuming your TMA is a striking style)?

Do you acknowledge the fact that your style has difficiencies, and fill in the blanks with what works, thereby no longer teaching your pure style?

6/24/05 9:17 AM
wayofthedragon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Jun-05
I study Karate and Judo (seperately). The Karate system that I learn has roots in Wado Ryu, but isn't strict to it. My instructor used to do Judo as well as being a British National Champion in Karate. He teaches a hybrid style including a lot of sparring & groundwork. I feel it differs heavily from other Karate styles which usually get pigeon holed for having either unrealistic techniques or having no contact. I feel if more schools evolved, Karate wouldn't have such a laughable reputation in the MA community, and some people might actually think that some of the techniques could be used in a self defense sistuation as well. My own journey in martial arts will not be bound by one art alone, but at the same time I feel that you need to study each art extensively to get the best out of it. I don't want to be like the saying goes "Jack of all trades, master of none". I am keen to look in to Mauy thai & Boxing to compliment my Karate & Judo.
6/24/05 9:44 PM
glock4life
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, i expected a lot more input from you guys.
6/24/05 10:48 PM
Seul
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been heavily influenced by this board, Bruce Lee, and the school I learn at (what u might call enlightened Karate, as we have grappling and arnis mixed in). I would NEVER teach pure, traditional karate. I also wouldn't want to teach only striking, or only grappling. Ideally I would want to focus on one range, and teach the other ranges in such a way that facilitates it's use. E.g., learn to grapple Well, learn to strike/infight/use weapons while grappling or to facilitate grappling. The trick would be to have partners who specialize in the other ranges, so you can be very versatile for your students. In my town, I have studied Kenpo Karate, Judo, tae kwon do, and tai chi. I love my kenpo school the best because it teaches everything, but in a very general basis. I can grapple, stickfight, kickbox, and infight to varying degrees, but I can't integrate them all very well, because we train them separate. I like the MMA concept of doing everything at once, and thus would try to teach that way.
6/25/05 11:03 PM
bluenoser
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jun-05
Ok. I would reach the one that I knew best or the one that brought the most money ( if it was my only source of income ) With that said I believe in the way of Kyokushin.
7/20/05 8:00 AM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-05
glock4life "What I mean is, as either a former TMA'er or as an enlightened TMA'er, would you teach your respective "art" or would you teach a hybrid that included grappling(that is assuming your TMA is a striking style)?" I work for a school that teaches karate for standup and judo/jujutsu for non striking/gound work. "Do you acknowledge the fact that your style has difficiencies, and fill in the blanks with what works, thereby no longer teaching your pure style?" Hell yes! If you know something has gaps you owe it to your students to point out the gaps. You further owe it to yourself to go and figure out how to fill those gaps. Mark
7/20/05 10:25 AM
Willybone
583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-05
I'd have different classes to fill the different wants of people taking martial arts. A traditional class, like TKD, with forms and point sparring. If you're not into getting punched or slammed, this would be the class. Soccer moms and kids. A kickboxing class with a focus on full contact competition. Grappling class for gi competition. And finally, a MMA class for people who want to mix the above two.
7/23/05 8:39 AM
Outkaster
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Jul-05
That would be tough especailly after training some MT and MMA. Plus I started Judo 4 years ago so even with a 4th Degree in ITF TKD it would be hard to know what to do now?
7/26/05 4:21 PM
8LimbsScientist

Edited: 26-Jul-05
I've thought about this often. Part of me loves the TMA I've taken. I love the structure and tradition involved. Another part of me loves the athleticism and straighforward effectiveness of the MMA method. I study Muay Thai and Hapkido, and I enjoy both, although I want to study other styles as well. What would I teach if I opened a school though? I don't know. How could I teach the striking aspects of Hapkido when I honestly believe Muay Thai to be the more effective striking art? Teach my students one thing in Muay Thai, and then contradict it in Hapkido? On the other hand there are aspects of striking I've learned from TMAs that I think could be useful in Muay Thai, but aren't usually trained. Such as sidekicks, or spinning back kicks. I wouldn't want to create some sort of hybrid amalgam of all these styles, lump them together and attach my name to it like I'm some grandmaster either. I always hate when people do that. So what do you do? Provide a strictly grappling class, a strictly standup class, and then an open mat class where students can come and integrate if they choose?
8/6/05 8:14 PM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Aug-05
migo "I would expect that instructors who see the value of grappling but aren't as proficient in it would leave the grappling training to more qualified instructors." Personally, I'd rather see everyone gain some level of proficiency in both disciplines. Then specialize in one skill, but retain the ability to perform the other skill. Above all, be honest with your students about what they'll get from you. I'm not the guy to talk to about grappling at our school. I'll be the first one to admit that my stand up is better than my grappling. I'll show you what I know about grappling and when we exhaust my knowledge I'll point you at the guys who know more than me. "he did complain when I started practicing full contact outside of class." Did he give a reason? Mark
8/7/05 9:26 PM
juszczec

Edited: 07-Aug-05
migo "For the reason it didn't make much sense. He said I shouldn't be fighting people with no skills, but the guy I fought was a decent boxer and I was sore for a couple weeks so I figured I was working with someone of an appropriate level." Sounds like leaving was the right thing to do. Sorry ya ran into one of the controlling jerks. Mark
8/8/05 7:42 AM
juszczec

Edited: 08-Aug-05
migo "Yeah, it was unfortunate that I spent as long as I did when I was there, my hands are still suffering from the abuse I put them through trying to get them in the shape of what I thought was the perfect fist. It's funny how some irrational stuff can sneak in and hide in plain sight with a system that seems on the surface to be based on really sound principles." I place the blame on students being discouraged from asking questions. Its created teachers who don't know and don't know they don't know. Guys who are repeating what was told to them by people who had it told to them by people who had it told the them and on and on and on. Medical science and sports science have advanced more than I can describe in the last 100 years. That some karate people are willing to ignore all the information blows my mind. Mark
9/4/05 3:59 AM
Frost

Edited: 04-Sep-05
I would teach the horse stance. For years, nothing but horse stance to develop a strong foundation. Ok i'm kidding.
9/10/05 10:26 PM
yusul
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Sep-05
if i was doing a primarily stand up style, i would see about hiring a p/t instructor to cover grappling throwing; they would know more about it than yourself. or refer students who are hardcore to practice grappling at a good dojo, maybe create an affliate program;. for the muay thai/hkd option (2 striking arts), i wouldn't create a true hybrid, i would accent one with the other. for example, if hkd striking is less effective, i feel you could integrate aspects of boxing hands into hkd (at least jab and straight and cross), while keeping it more in line with the principles . if you wanted to keep the kicking but wanted to make it more effective like mt, then create a training environment like mt; practice different levels of contact, but going up to full contact. but still use sidekick, turning side, etc. making sure you follow hkd principles. or you could do muay and experiment around with adding 1 kick at a time, like side kick.
9/11/05 11:23 AM
glock4life

Edited: 11-Sep-05

Yusul, I like MT/HKD option.

9/11/05 11:06 PM
yusul
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Sep-05
thx glock.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.