UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> tkd workouts

6/26/05 12:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jimmy23
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Jun-05

Ig to my black belt in tkd in 1987, over time as I got more into mma, I let my kicking skills deteriorate. Ive decided that i want to get more into tkd kickign again, just for the fun of it and the workout. However, otehr than the technical issues of how to throw the kciks, Ive compeltley forgotten how to train them. For the life of me, I cant recall how I went froma novice to a pretty good kicker. Any ideas on how to structure a workout to help em regain some of my tkd skills? Physcially, Im almsot starting from scratch, years of boxing and grappling means that my body simply doesnt move like it used to when I practiced kicks on a regular basis. Any links to websites or books, or just advice,would be greatly appreciated
8/2/05 12:50 PM
SoldAssassin
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-05
geeze, this was posted a while ago and nobody has given advice. I suggest training technique, i.e. making sure you're performing each kick properly. This alone will force your muscles, tendons, to adapt and strengthen. Kicking slow is fine, this is about building up strength and flexibility. Once you get stronger and more fluid, you can increase the speed. When you've gained better flexibility and strength, you can add ankle weights and practice your kicks. (these seriously can add some speed) technique, technique, technique (don't injure yourself)
8/2/05 2:57 PM
zetti
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/2/05 7:02 PM
Jimmy23
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks SA, great advice. I used to do lots of slow kicks, and they seemed to work pretty well. Ill hop on this tonight, and be sore and cursing you tomorrow :)
8/2/05 8:50 PM
SoldAssassin
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

honestly, speed I've found is easier to increase. When training for speed, I train like a baseball player getting ready to bat. My leg is the bat and the ankle weight is the additional weight. (Here is where I start kicking fast but controlled and accurate) Stretch those hips and hamstrings the most. I've competed a few times where I've been out of class, or barely attending class. (injury-broken arm from BJJ, and school) And doing the above has helped me succeed. Consistency is your friend good luck, hope this helps you out

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.