UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> help me pick equipment

6/28/05 2:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
poodollar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jun-05

i am going to film a promo for our jj team. i am thinking about getting a power book, canon gl2, and final cut express for editing. this is my first venture into prosumer equipment. i can get a student discount from apple so that would drop the stuido pro set to $600 so i am thinking about getting that, but it might be overkill. i also thought about getting a canon xl-1s but that might also be overkill for what i am doing. i do know what goes in the camera comes out and you want the best possible you can afford. any help would be appreciated.
6/29/05 3:09 AM
djdb

Edited: 29-Jun-05
If the goal is to get the best video possible, I'd seriously consider renting the equipment to get the most bang for the buck. If you're just seeing the video as an opportunity to start acquiring equipment, there's nothing wrong with your choices. The GL is a little slow on action, so flashy high speed techniques won't look so hot. DVD Studio Pro = entirely unnecessary for a promotional DVD. -r
6/29/05 3:10 AM
djdb

PS: If you are a student, there's probably a department in your uni that can loan you the equipment provided you can spin it as a student project to the right person. -r
6/29/05 1:38 PM
Lynn@Renzos

You should read the academic purchasing agreement. You cannot use an academic version of the package to make a for profit film/video. They are very strict about that. You would be better off getting the legit full version if you plan on making for profit work. I would suggest the Panasonic AG-DVC30 over the GL2. If you are moving up, pick up the Panasonic DVX100a over the XL1s or XL2. I am using an XL2 on a project for grins and highly prefer my DVX100 over it. The image is far superior in my opinion.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.