UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> The Joy of Pure Maths

6/29/05 11:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jgibson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jun-05

Taking Intro to Abstract Algebra this summer. Holy Schmokes, this shit is difficult. Every thing must be proven. I definitely have a new found respect for mathematicians. Anynody else taken any pure maths? Can you recommend any good books on developing proofs?
6/30/05 2:45 AM
jgibson

Edited: 30-Jun-05
I'll consider grad school when the time comes. Cost is going to be a MAJOR issue. Plus, my wife will probably want a baby by then, so that will tough.
7/15/05 10:48 AM
Trust
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jul-05
Yes. My junior year in engineering I had the bright idea of signing up for a senior level course in complex analysis taught by the math department. That was when I found out how woefully bad my proof skills were. There were 6 students in the class - 4 were math majors and one was a graduate engineering student.
7/18/05 5:11 PM
Dogbert

Edited: 18-Jul-05
There are lots of bbooks with the goal to introduce the reader to the concepts and methods of higher mathematics. This list at Amazon may be of help. A book that seems to be pretty cool and is specifically written for preparing the reader for abstract algebra is A Primer of Abstract Mathematics by Robert Ash. Apart from doing proofs, which is very important, one should also read lots of proofs. Most people beginning to prove abstract stuff have problems deciding what toinclude and what not.
7/20/05 7:53 PM
Rastus

Edited: 20-Jul-05
I took a graduate coursein abstract algebra with a difficult text. I think it was Hungerford...yellow bottom, white top. Incredibly challenging course. I also took applied algebra at the graduate level and found it a relative breeze. Real Analysis is also a notoriously difficult course.
7/21/05 7:59 PM
Dogbert

Edited: 21-Jul-05
I´ve never read Hungerford, but it seems to be a pretty brutal text.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.