UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Some good ways to live while in gr

6/30/05 3:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-05

What are some good ways to live while you are in grad school. When I say live I mean--- food, living area, etc. Is there really any way to do it without being in complete debt after you graduate? Do TA's get paid and what do grad students typically do to survive while in school?
6/30/05 7:49 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-05
FloridaArm Bar
7/4/05 4:58 PM
schow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jul-05
I used to be a TA at your current university. The deal that I recieved was an 80% tuition waiver, a salary of about 9Gs for 20hrs work a week. This was for 2 semesters. Being a TA is a sweet ass job if you work for the right professors. I had one professor out of four (2 profs in 1 semester, 2 in the other) that was a total bitch. Furthermore, there are a ton of jobs on campus. You just have to ask around. I'd also consult your advisor if you are on good terms with him/ her. I swear the more they like you, the better your chances of recieving a TAship. It's not bad at all for students. I'd get a loan too if that's not enough for your extravagant lifestyle. We should talk in person relatively soon. I'll tell you more then.
7/6/05 10:47 AM
FloridaArm Bar

Edited: 06-Jul-05
Hey whats up Sherman this is James (I used to train with you at TFA). I heard you started training at Gracie Tampa. How do you like it there so far? I been training there since Jan and I have learned so much. Rob is an excellent instructor.
7/6/05 6:54 PM
schow

Edited: 06-Jul-05 07:01 PM
Man, you don't need to tell me who you are. I know who FloridaArm Bar is! How else did you think I know what university you attend? Gracie Tampa is hella cool. As always, my bjj is poor. Did you find my info helpful? See ya around.
7/8/05 10:01 AM
FloridaArm Bar

Edited: 08-Jul-05
For some reason I can't see the other posts on this thread anymore. That is weird.
7/8/05 12:43 PM
FloridaArm Bar

Hey Sherman, for some reason your post on July 6th just showed up for me on here. I couldn't see it before. Yeah thanks for the info. I wont be ready for grad school into next may. I'm just getting a head start and doing some research. As a TA did you teach at all? Catch you later. James
7/8/05 6:26 PM
schow

Hey man good seeing you again yesterday. As for teaching, I did teach a class or 2 during the semester for each class I TAed for. The classes I taught were around the end of the year so by that time almost everyone knew me, and more importantly, I was no longer nervous. I'm not sure what the History dept might have you doing, but I TAed for some intro classes that had about 100 students. Only about 85 show up though. It's actually not too bad. Dear Christ, the amount of play you could get with some of these girls is unbelievable. If I were an unscrupulous bastard, it would have been so on.
7/12/05 6:32 PM
FloridaArm Bar

Edited: 12-Jul-05
ttt
7/19/05 7:12 AM
Mozilla

Edited: 19-Jul-05
I knew a guy who was TA for a black history course. He told me he nailed every white girl who was in the class (AFTER they finished the class). Claimed that any white girl in a black history class was just dying to get it on with the black man.
7/27/05 11:21 PM
limpjena

Edited: 27-Jul-05
Financially, get a Sam's Club membership. Its about 35 bucks, which you make back straight away on 2 24 cases of redbull. Think of it not as an expenditure, but the money you've MADE by not buying shampoo/oatmeal/diet mountain dew/stationary at your local mall. Though you'll spend a large amount of money since everything is sold in incredibly vulgar quantities only.
9/20/05 4:22 PM
FloridaArm Bar

Edited: 20-Sep-05
ttt
9/20/05 4:22 PM
FloridaArm Bar

Edited: 20-Sep-05
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.