UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Can anyone explain the basic tenet

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/4/05 3:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
McAdam
833 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jul-05

of post-materialism? I feel I have a strong understanding of it internally, but I was trying to elaborate on it to a friend, and found myself struggling to define it adequately. Clearly that shows that my grasp isnt as complete as I thought, so can anyone summarize the thought, or link any good articles on it? Thanks a lot :)
7/5/05 3:18 PM
McAdam
833 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jul-05
Bueller?
7/6/05 6:55 PM
McAdam

Edited: 06-Jul-05
My understanding is that the human race has for centuries lived with a materialistic mindset. That is, that the physical world is the true reality we subscribe to, and thus it is the physucal world we active work to shape. Success is marked in the same way. Physical possessions have traditionally been the mark of status and success. Clearly, imo, this is evident in our culture of today. However, there is a belief that mankind is making the stride to a more post-materialist mode of thinking. That is, that the physical world is not the sole reality, and that success can be marked by other factors. Material wealth, in a post-materialist world, will not be the end all of success, and there will be other facets of global thinking. Humanity, cooperation, things like this will be the new goals, and things like 'my country/your country' will begin to fade as the idea of materialism fades. As you can see, my description of post-materialism is pretty vague, and from my point of view clearly unsatisfactory. Hence my coming here :)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.