UnderGround Forums

New York Underground >> What are the NY laws as far as MMA

7/5/05 11:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DrumWarrior
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Jul-05

What are the laws in NY as far as MMA is concerned?
7/8/05 7:26 PM
DrillSergeant"C"

Edited: 08-Jul-05
Does anyone ever post in NY Forums???
7/28/05 2:29 AM
Brian McLaughlin
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jul-05
Absolutely illegal, I ran a grappling tournament in NY and the state athletic board "thought" it was MMA, they made it very clear that anything even resembling MMA was strictly prohibitted. Even my grappling tournament was illegal without sanctioning from a Judo organization.
8/2/05 12:46 PM
siouxNYC
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-05
section 8905(2) of the NYS Unconsolidated Laws is the statute that bans pro mma in new york. it reads: "No combative sport shall be conducted, held or given within the state of New Yorkm and no licenses may be approved by the commission for such matches or exhibitions." -the preceding section of the statute defines "combative sport" as a PROFESSIONAL bout other than boxing, wrestling and one of the sanctioned martial arts listed. -according to this statute (and numerous interviews with the athletic commission), amateur mma bouts are not banned in new york state. -amateur means the fighters cannot receive any compensation for their efforts. also, any trophies or prizes cannot exceed $35 in value. -according to this statute, grappling tournaments aren't banned either. a section of the Consolidated Laws governing Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) bans the sale of alcohol at a venue where either a pro or amateur combative sporting event is taking place. -this means no booze can be sold at any mma show in NYS. -this law was put into effect because a promoter upstate kept having shows in bars and taverns where audience members would volunteer to fight.
8/2/05 12:51 PM
siouxNYC
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-05
drumwarrior, you should've posted this in the main forum. i rarely come here and could've answered you sooner. brian mclaughlin, the nys athletic commission loves to say things are illegal when they have no authority to do so. glad to hear you still had your tournament.
8/2/05 11:50 PM
DrillSergeant"C"

Edited: 02-Aug-05 11:51 PM
Based on what siouxNYC posted, amateur MMA is ok. Does anyone know of an effort to put an amateur event together? DrumWarrior, what new up there?
8/3/05 2:47 AM
Brian McLaughlin
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-05
"-the preceding section of the statute defines "combative sport" as a PROFESSIONAL bout other than boxing, wrestling and one of the sanctioned martial arts listed" This is pretty much what the NYSAC guy said to me, if you're not on the list then you can't play ball. I was able to get the USJA (one of the guys on the list) to sanction my event, then and only then was my event "legal".
8/3/05 8:54 AM
siouxNYC

there is an amateur mma event that goes on in nyc every few months. go to the FCF database and look for the underground combat league.
8/3/05 10:48 PM
Brian McLaughlin

underground combat league is definately illegal, many of the matches are no gloves UFC 1 style rules.
8/4/05 8:41 AM
siouxNYC

Edited: 04-Aug-05
it's not illegal. the law only bans pro mma. amateur is completely unregulated, and therefore, unrestricted. don't believe everything hugo spindola of the athletic commission tells you.
8/4/05 4:06 PM
Brian McLaughlin

I hope that MMA can have a home in NY, but I don't see it happening. Did Hugo ever get wind of any of the Underground combat league events? He sent two state athletic investigators to my grappling event, I figure he would have tried to close down an MMA event given the chance.
8/4/05 4:45 PM
siouxNYC

I've interviewed Hugo many times (i write for FCF). he knows about the underground shows but knows full well the extent to which he can legally act, so he's done nothing. jerome davis in upstate new york exploited the same loophole and put on some amateur mma shows in a dojo. the state couldn't do anything about them, either.
8/4/05 4:47 PM
siouxNYC

check this out, brian: http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=ListMessages&PID=1&TID=571073&FID=1
8/4/05 11:29 PM
Brian McLaughlin

Wow that thread was an eye opener. I'm glad there are people out there willing to challenge the governing bodies.
8/9/05 1:53 PM
Jingles0

Edited: 09-Aug-05
Hopefully if spitzer becomes governor he may be able to change this quandry.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.