UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> national arts

7/8/05 8:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ResuTudo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Jul-05 12:43 PM

Just curious what are the national arts that you can think of that are sponsored and promoted by its idigenous government (ie soverign's tournaments, and millitary application)? Heres what I come up with: Brazil - Capoeira (Is it sponsored by the gov?) China- Wushu (which includes San Da) France- Boxe Francaise/Savate Japan- Sumo (Kings Cup) Myanmar - Lethwai N. Korea- Hapkido Russia- Sambo (they rank its players) S.Korea-TKD Thailand- Muay Thai (King and Queens Cups) Uzbekistan- Kuresh
7/10/05 11:58 AM
sta94

Edited: 10-Jul-05
Uzbekistan - KURASH http://www.kurash-ika.org/
7/20/05 4:39 PM
Willybone
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-05
Does North Korea really sponsor hapkido? I guess it's possible, but I'd never heard that.
8/13/05 10:55 AM
kodak

Edited: 13-Aug-05
Indonesia: - Silat IPSI (sport/standardised) and silat traditional - Tarung Drajat (formerly known as "Boxer"): a fighting "style" founded on the street of Bandung, west java. It looks like a hybrid between kyokushin, a bit of muay thai and (they said) a bit of streetstuff. It's a nasty style, bareknuckle-full contact sparring with heavy emphasised on conditioning. The founder of the style is said to be able to dent a bus with a headbutt (a parked bus..not a speeding one :p). Anyway, this "style" is now used by the indo paramilitary police (anti-terror squad, "swat" team etc). There's a rumor that this style will be standardised so that it could be placed in the "national olympic".

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.