UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Interview Advice

11/13/12 12:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/13/12 12:27 PM
Haven't seen T0ki's name around here forever! Anyone know if he's still around? Just sent him a PM but in case anyone knows.

Excellent post. About interviews, people really do need to know this stuff. Bullshit is always gonna stink in a tech interview. You can't talk your way around not knowing, just say that you don't know it. No one expects you to know everything on the list for a particular job so just be honest. Honest might mean you're not cut out for this particular position BTW, and that's ok too.

I had an interview 2 or so years ago for a company, I wasn't rocking questions about OSPF, EIGRP, HSRP, etc... stuff I'd worked with day to day for years. Then one guy asks, "What do you know about BGP?"

"I know how to spell it.", everyone laughs. Then I explained I had done classroom teaching on the basics, done it in the lab and simple peering for customers but nothing like running my own AS for a large enterprise, working for an ISP, basically told them what I did know and that I was aware of what I didn't know.

I can't stress it enough, DON'T LIE ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW. You're gonna be found out.
11/13/12 2:36 PM
theseanster
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, and be careful what you put on your resume. If you have acronyms on there, you'd better be able to at speak about them intelligently at some level.

5/30/13 7:12 PM
manganese
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bump

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.