UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Question on Pot Usage

7/17/05 11:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jgibson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Jul-05

I have a potentiometer. It has 3 terminals. What goes where? Where do I attach the input signal. Where do I attach the output terminal. And why does it have three terminals?
7/17/05 11:28 PM
Power Paw

Edited: 17-Jul-05
troll me once, shame on you, troll me twice, shame on me... mr. EEng can't figure out a potentiometer? or you just wanted to use that thread title i'm leaning towards the latter :-P
7/18/05 12:27 AM
jgibson

Edited: 18-Jul-05
I do like the thread title. But no, really. I am still a newbie to EE stuff. I'm just getting into it after getting rid of all my other engineering requirements. I've got this circuit I'm breadboarding. When I hook up the pot to an LED, it seems to work just fine. But now I've got it hooked to a transistor (an NPN), and when I adjust the pot for less resistance, the NPN should shut off the flow to the emitter, but it isn't. I've tried switching out several transistors and several pots, but I just can't seem to get it to work. I've got the current coming in the A side and the current going out the C side. I am assuming this is correct. What am I supposed to do with the B-side?
7/18/05 11:09 PM
Power Paw

Edited: 18-Jul-05
you might try asking this question on the EE forums at eng-tips.com http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=248 you'll have to register first (it's free) http://www.eng-tips.com/register.cfm the people there will help you solve just about anything, large group of engineers of all sorts, but i've noticed they're pretty picky about how you post questions (make sure that the question hasn't already been asked, and check the FAQ section, and it can't be a homework type of question) just my observations/tips i would try to help you with my good friend mr.google but it seems that i would be reading several pages before being able to understand your question, then several more before finding the answer anyways, good luck
7/20/05 2:24 PM
jgibson

Edited: 20-Jul-05
Thanks Power Paw. Turns out the pot wasn't the problem. I was using the wrong type of transistor. Ooops.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.