UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> dog bros tape sets

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/28/05 7:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
circusfreak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jul-05

Hi, could anyone tell me which is the better tape set of the dog brothers web site for a complete begginer. either Real Contact Stickfighting 6 Tape Set or DBMA Series 5 Tape Set .i have no knowledge of stick fighting what so ever, so i need a tape set that has the fundemantals. also could anyone recomend any books on stick fighting. thanks in advance for any replies.
7/28/05 3:50 PM
theMachine23

Edited: 28-Jul-05
RCS is an awesome set. i haven't seen the others. i'm guessing the later series is more advanced. i believe another difference is that the RCS set is taught by Top Dog, and the 2nd set is Crafty Dog. there's a pretty cool book called "stickfighting" by masaaki hatsumi that has lots of moves. IMHO it's much harder to get stuff from a book vs. video.
7/29/05 12:22 PM
circusfreak

Edited: 29-Jul-05 12:23 PM
hi themachine23, thanks for the reply. ive seen the book you mentioned on amazon but its got quite a few bad reviews. is it worth the money?
8/1/05 11:27 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 01-Aug-05
Woof Circusfreak: The first series is mostly about solo training and for a complete beginner it is what I would recommend. Just so I don't scare off more experienced practitioners, please allow me to note that the material presented so there is plenty for practitioners of all levels. Although this series is 12 years old, IMHO it remains quite relevant and it remains a solid seller. In the first series, I assist Top Dog and in the second series I am the featured instructor except for "Krabi Krabong" which is taught by Ajarn Salty Dog. This series is mostly aimed at two man training. In the coming weeks and months several new DVDs will be coming out. Most will be taught by me, but a couple will by taught by Guro Lonely Dog. Woof, Crafty Dog
8/1/05 2:12 PM
theMachine23

Edited: 01-Aug-05
circusfreak, i'd pick up the book used, but not new. it's got a bunch of techniques, but nothing put together in terms of strategy and fighting.
8/2/05 11:59 AM
Stickgrappler
2217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-05
hello circusfreak: if you are looking for books on stickfighting but it's not all techniques that you are after, and has history, i recommend MASTERS OF ARNIS, KALI, ESKRIMA by the late Punong Guro Edgar Sulite. a new book coming out (maybe it's out already) that looks like it's similar format to PG Sulite's MAKE book is Rey Galang's book (i lost url - but there was about a 20 pg pdf preview available for free dl). there are not that many books on stickfighting, especially FMA. Guro Dan Inosanto's book FILIPINO MARTIAL ARTS - i think it's good for beginners. it's out-of-print though. Mark Wiley has FILIPINO MARTIAL CULTURE, and has 1 or 2 books on Serrada Eskrima. the late Remy Presas has a book. his brother has a book (Ernesto Presas). and the only book dedicated to stickgrappling is Judo Gene LeBell's CLUB GRAPPLING book. Michael Echanis (hwarangdo) has a book, as noted by theMachine23, GM Hatsumi has a book, also, he came out with a new book recently. just thinking off the top of my head. i need to go home to check what books i have. although the stickfighting books are not that many compared to the empty hand style books out there, there are quite a few.
8/2/05 3:31 PM
circusfreak

Edited: 02-Aug-05
thanks for the replies. alot to think about:)
4/7/06 8:00 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 07-Apr-06
Marketing moment: Our first series, "Real Contact Stickfighting" is now available in DVD. www.dogbrothers.com The Adventure continues, Crafty Dog

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.