UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Giant Squid in the news again

7/29/05 6:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gakami
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jul-05

Giant squid spills cannibal secret Studies on a giant squid caught off Tasmania's west coast six years ago have backed the theory the world's largest squid are cannibals. Giant squid reach up to 18 metres in length and live in deep waters around Tasmania. Little is known about their habits as they are rarely seen alive. Bruce Deagle, from the University of Tasmania, has analysed the DNA of the gut contents of a squid caught off the State's coast and found giant squid remains. "We found some small tentacle fragments that were actually giant squid remains, so it seems that they were actually cannibalistic in [that] they're eating other giant squids," he said. But he says other explanations are possible. "It's difficult to prove definitively because there's the possibility that the squid could've bitten off it's own tentacles, which is something we can't discount either," he said. "It's been reported before that squids, when they're captured in a net as this one was, they've actually taken bites off their own tentacle." http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1425294.htm
7/29/05 6:20 AM
Dizzy Boredom
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

even squids agree, calamari tastes good.
7/29/05 10:48 AM
QTyp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bite my arms sometimes and I only have two. I can imagine how many times theyd get bit if I had 10.
8/3/05 3:22 AM
gakami
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-05
lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.