UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Learning japanese

7/27/02 5:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
atlantasouthern
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Jul-02

Not only am i going to japan to visit a few gyms but also the culture and expand on my japanese language abilities. I was looking at some immersion schools and damn they are expensive. Anyone go to japan and hook upwith a good teacher. Also after 1 year of japanese courses in college, how much japanese will i be able to understand... I am goin to hawaii first and then japan, perhaps i can hook up with a tutor in hawaii and then japan. TOdd the military is paying for you to be in japan, how about the language do you know any?
7/28/02 12:49 AM
bjjgeek

Edited: 28-Jul-02
I often get irritated when I speak with JSL dudes. It is not because of their lack of language skills or my lack of patience. My disgust arises when I hear a guy talking like a girl. For those who don't know it, the Japanese language has a distinction between male and female ways of talking. I assume that those faggots have learned Japanese from their girlfriends or comfort-givers or whoever. Folks, girls might help you in a variety of ways, but be careful with your Japanese so you won't fuckin' pick up girly dialogues.
7/28/02 8:03 AM
hermeneus

lol. bjjgeek is correct.
7/28/02 9:35 PM
machete

i found out that women use different words the hard way
7/29/02 2:23 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jul-02
once you have learned the basics in class, you will find that you can develop a lot faster if you immerse yourself in the culture, eg spend most of your time speaking and listening to japanese and don't speak much english with other foreigners. You don't really need to know too much japanese in order to communicate at first and after just 6 months or so you will improve heaps. One of my friends came to japan with no background in japanese at all, and after just 1 1/2 years she managed to pass the ikkyu (top)level of the japanese proficiency test. That is pretty incredible if you know just how hard that level is. I'm studying now just to take the nikyu (2nd) level. Obviously most people are going to improve that quickly but still if just try to speak and communicate everyday then you will reach a good level very quickly.
7/29/02 2:28 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Jul-02
BJJgeek, nearly all langauges have a distinction between the way men and women talk. English does as well. However in Japanese there are not actually that many words used only by either men or women. Women just tend to have more polite language while guys tend to use stronger terms. In many cases though, guys will commonly use the politer terms and girls the stronger ones. The dialect used also heavily influences which words people say. In addition guys language can be offensive to many people if used incorrectly, so it is far better for beginners to learn and use polite japanese at first. As long as men aren't adding shit like "wa" on the end of sentences, then it is ok for them to use polite language. the "really tough language" is mostly just used by yakuza and pussy yanky teenages. Regular guys (including a lot of tough guys) don't use it at all.
8/1/02 5:29 PM
Kodou

Edited: 01-Aug-02
I think it's funny that you mention that many women use polite language. If you could only hear some of the ways that the teenage girls talk these days! It's really rude and unpolite stuff. I truly think the best way to learn Japanese is to talk with Japanese people and watch Japanese films or Japanese TV. Japanese TV doesn't use much slang so you'll probably pick up the main dialect (most used commonly in the Kanto district or for business). Watch some kids shows!
8/1/02 9:59 PM
Gunjin EX

Edited: 01-Aug-02
Dogmeat: could you please explain the meaning of saying wa at the end of a sentence? thank you.
8/2/02 1:44 AM
Ryan Bow
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-02
Wa is a femine way of speech but guys do use it from time to time. BUt its best just to not use it at all if ur unsure of how to use it.
8/2/02 2:24 AM
Dogmeat 1

Edited: 02-Aug-02
Kodou, I do hear how a lot of teenage girls talk these days. Notice I only said they tend use more polite language, which doesn't necessarily mean that their language is polite. Teenage guys still generally talk rougher than girls though and few girls really seem to use much rough language once they have entered university or companies. Then again even the guys at university don't talk the same as the high school kids.
8/4/02 8:59 AM
jhenwood

Edited: 04-Aug-02
lol, I moved to Japan 4 years ago with no Japanese ability and ended up living in South Osaka. I picked up Kawachiben which is one of the roughest dialects.
8/4/02 9:58 PM
Dogmeat 1

Edited: 04-Aug-02
there's actually a lot of people in kyushu who think that the kansai dialects are kinda cute though... my kanto friends all think the opposite though. as for me I just speak mostly plain japanese (not even tokyo-ben) and sometimes use a combination of hakata-ben, kokura-ben and nagasaki-ben, which ends up giving me a far from a tough sounding accent.
8/5/02 3:08 AM
Sothy

Edited: 05-Aug-02
the person got the 1st kyu in 1.5 years!!!!...holy shit!!!!!!!!! I start taking Japanese lessons next month (after my first pay cheque). I'll be taking lessons twice a week for a few months then I'll evaluate my progress...I figure that I'll be away from Canada for 2 years, but not sure if I'll be here for the whole time but if I pick it up as fast as the person above, then I'm staying =)
8/5/02 1:34 PM
invalid
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-02
sothy: you're moving to japan?
8/6/02 5:28 AM
Sothy

Edited: 06-Aug-02
I'm in Japan already =) Got here on June 25th local time. In Osaka, guess I should update that profile...
8/6/02 2:01 PM
invalid
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Aug-02
lol
8/7/02 10:49 AM
jhenwood

Edited: 07-Aug-02
Hey Sothy, whereabouts in Osaka are you? I used to live down south in Matsubara, near Tennoji. I'm halfway between Umeda and Kobe now in a place called Nishinomiya.
8/8/02 9:08 AM
gejigeji

Edited: 08-Aug-02 07:36 PM
*edited for intolerable grammatical fuck-ups* Coming to Japan with a year or so of Japanese study behind you, I think, is certainly enough to challenge you, confuse you and keep you occupied for a while. I found that over time that I was able to attune myself to people and relationships that were more nourishing than others as my language ability grew. There were people, for example, who had no interest in me learning Japanese, as I was a way for them to practice English. Those relationships always had a dubious authenticity to them. Actually, rapping with the brothers at the jiujitsu dojo has been the best way to get a handle on one aspect of the language and culture for me. Even talking with my girlfriend in our hybrid Japanglish is not a sound means of establishing my speaking ability. The guys at the gym have little interest in learning English and, in a sense, that makes the best conditions for learning the language. I have discovered that my own ability to teach English may be at stake as I learn more Japanese. Students know they can always pull back and hit me in Nihongo if the going gets rough. The redundancy of conversation topics gets a little frustrating. Often alcohol helps that along, but even then you are just talking about penis length and what type of tits you like. On the otherhand there are those people who won't speak English to you at all in a kind of cultural power play. If it behooves you (as it sometimes does in the form of an interesting game and as it sometimes doesn't in a professional context), don't be disenfranchised. Respond to everyone of their English questions in Japanese. I have found that the most interesting Japanese people are those who have been abroad for extended periods of time. Unfortunately for your Japanese ability, the relationship often takes of with a tendency towards speaking English. Nonetheless, best of luck to all of you.
8/8/02 1:58 PM
invalid

Edited: 08-Aug-02
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.