UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> HS Fball Hilite: How $$$ 2 charge?

8/3/05 1:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
liedirector
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-05

Hello fellow indie filmmakers. I am a WANNABE ARTIST / Doc Filmmaker and MAY have landed a job creating a Highlight film for a High School football team. They are asking for how much my asking price is. I must admit that this is my first time dealing with a potentially paying client and was hoping some of you more experienced producers may help me come to a FAIR asking price for my services. Here are some more details with regards to what they want. "The project itself is really intended for use/viewing by the players and coaches of the High School team only. A short film (roughly 30-45 minutes in length) that will document the players' progress during the season and the importance of the "team" within their otherwise unstable lives and underprivileged status. The mini-documentary is fundamentally intended to be a gift to all the coaches, players, and parents involved with the team as a private endeavor. They would like a minimum of 6 games filmed, coverage of the team in the locker room, filming of a few practices, and ideally individual interview clips of the players and coaches presented in the context of the team's progress during the season. We would like the footage to be organized logically in a fashion that would allow for an entertaining, engaging, and substantive film. They would like me to execute myself, the shooting, editing, compiling, and releasing of the finished product. We have some numbers in mind, but we were wondering both how, and how much, you would like to be paid." I have heard that most pros charge x amount PER MINUTE OF FINAL FOOTAGE. As I have stated before I have NO IDEA what to ask for regarding fees and would like some guidance in reaching a FAIR price for them as well as me. Please if anyone can help with advice it would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance!
8/3/05 9:42 PM

Edited: 03-Aug-05
I can't tell you what to charge but I do know that it won't pay near enough for all the work you're going to do. Unless you want to do it for fun, the per hour breakdown will probably be less than what you could make flipping burgers. It sounds like it could be a fun gig if you've got the time. The main thing to remember is to not sell yourself short. It does the industry no good and could possibly cause people to consider you work as that of a lower quality. Nobody wants the reputation of being the "cheap" guy. My recomendation would be to put yourself somewhere in the middle (price wise) until you've done more work. Figure out what you'd like to make per hour. During your sell, tell them that you normally charge XXX amount for this type of production. They're sure to come back with what they can afford. My guess is that this project will require somewhere between 40-50 hours minimum.
8/4/05 5:20 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 04-Aug-05
655321 is correct. A project like that isn't a big cash project, one more for experience etc. His advice is solid.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.