UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Wing Chun?

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Agent Cooper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

Tony, I noticed that you have studied Wing Chun before. I'd be interested to know your reflections on it. What attributes did you gain from it? What skills did it help you develop? How did it help you when you formed CFD?
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
My study of wing chun was really transitory and was a brief exploration becasue of my interest in Bruce Lee's evolution. I cant say I gained specific things from it because it was never a system I studied as one would or should study an art, it was a superficial evalution. It was fun to play with some of the tactile drills and they did help me explore close range tactics. In some metaphyscial way I am sure th ecumulative effect of all the arts I contemplated have helped me discover and refine the S.P.E.A.R. SYSTEM. Tony
Agent Cooper

Cool. It seems like a lot of guys out there doing the more street-oriented stuff have studied it at one point or another. Thanks for your reflections on it.
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
A personal intuition: I think the reason many street oriented people study or look at wing chun has less to do with its real merits [compliment] and more to do with Bruce Lee whose name is still a magnet for martial art/street defense enthusiasts. T
Agent Cooper

I agree. You can definitely attribute the popularity of Wing Chun over other kung fu styles to Bruce Lee. (an understatement) The cool thing is that Bruce was so revolutionary and left all these writings behind so a martial artist is able to see the total evolution of Bruce's style. Not only see the evolution but recreate it physically by doing some of the things he did. This provides an even greater insight into the philosophy and mindset he had. There's varying degrees of this of course but I think almost all martial artists at some point in time have looked into Bruce's teachings. I also agree that there are some real merits to the Wing Chun system. It's great that the street oriented people have moved beyond the point where Bruce left off but I can definitely see why they have all trained in Wing Chun to some extent as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.