UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Why is it wrong?

8/3/05 4:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Logic Rules
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-05

Why is it wrong to cheat on your spouse? Why is it wrong to steal from people when you can get away with it? Why is it wrong to exploit people?
8/4/05 12:11 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 04-Aug-05
What do you mean with "wrong"?
8/4/05 12:57 PM
vermonter
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like fudo suggests the answers to your questions depend on what wrong is. IMO, none of those things are wrong. They might be bad, but they arent wrong. That's based on my own view, however... -doug-
8/4/05 7:23 PM
Logic Rules

Wrong as in incorrect or immoral.
8/4/05 7:23 PM
Logic Rules

Verm, why are they bad?
8/4/05 10:33 PM
FudoMyoo

"Wrong as in incorrect or immoral. "

and what does that ( incorrect and immoral) mean?

I´m not asking these questions to be a dick, it´s just that you need to specify these things first for your questions to make any sense.

8/5/05 11:37 AM
Logic Rules

Edited: 05-Aug-05
What do you think immoral means? Is it not obvious to you?
8/5/05 11:38 AM
Logic Rules

Edited: 05-Aug-05 12:45 PM
edited. double post
8/5/05 1:45 PM
FudoMyoo

what thirdleg said.
8/5/05 2:15 PM
Logic Rules

"nothing is obvious" Is that obvious? ;o) Seriously, do you guys have a different meaning of immoral? You don't know what that is? Do we have to define the little things as well, as if the definition of immoral escapes you, as if you don't know what it is?
8/5/05 2:18 PM
FudoMyoo

"Seriously, do you guys have a different meaning of immoral?"

different from what?

we are still waiting for you to explain yourself.

8/5/05 2:34 PM
Logic Rules

Yeah, but you know what I mean. Don't be dense.
8/5/05 3:08 PM
FudoMyoo

"Everyone understands what we mean by immoral"

I would say that not even this is obvious.

8/9/05 1:13 PM
vermonter
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Aug-05 01:33 PM
Hopefully it's not a trolling. This is a pretty common question, and a pretty common confusion. LogicRules, Aside from acting a little bit like a jerk, you don't seem to understand the questions the nice folks of the forum are posing. That's understandable, considering that your perspective based on a "morals are simple" attitude is quite a bit different from the philosophical perspective that "morals are insanely complicated." Not everyone has been exactly forthcoming in helping you figure out why you need to explain yourself, but then again, noone wants to assume that you might not know. You pose this question: "Seriously, do you guys have a different meaning of immoral?" We all might. Thirdleg's response is a good one, but i don't think it's complete. First, i think it's important to figure out what morals are, and what role they play. I answered your question the way i did, because my fundamental beliefs about morals might be quite a bit different than thirdlegs. To illustrate my point, i don't believe that morals exist as abstract objects, and as such, an ethical system would have to be based on some non-abstract object or collection of these. For this reason, i don't think your examples are wrong, but i do think they can be bad. Cheating on your spouse might hurt her feelings. It isn't bad all by itself per se, but it could be the catalyst for the emotional distress of your spouse, and pain is bad. Second, once we agree on what morals are, and how they operate in conjunction with us, we can figure out (like thirdleg suggests) what sorts of things fall into what sorts of categories (right or wrong). It might seem obvious to you that killing people is wrong, and that saving people from drowning if you are able is right, and few people would argue that, but it becomes a challenge to fit in all of these "obviously right" activities and these "obviously wrong" ones into a consistant system that we can all agree on once you start throwing in borderline cases, like the death penalty, abortion, etc. We can probably drum up some cases even more ambiguous than those. Once you come up with some consistant answers your questions should sort themselves out. -doug-

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.