UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Writing a screenplay

8/3/05 7:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KevinMoore
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-05

I have a question regarding writing as screenplay. I recently finished a book that I like and I was wondering what would stop me from writing a screenplay from that book. If I did could I then sell it or does the owner of the book own the rights to a screenplay. BTW, this is more of a pie in the sky thing but I was wondering?
8/4/05 5:19 PM
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Aug-05
You can't just take another author's work and convert it to a screenplay and sell it. You could contact the author and let him/her know of your intentions etc. There are plenty of books out there regarding this subject. For any clearance or copyright concerns you may have as a filmmaker though, check out: "Clearance and Copyright" by Donaldson.
8/5/05 2:17 AM
Liyon
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-05
If nothing else, just do it for the practice of writing a screenplay. What book is it by the way?
8/5/05 12:06 PM
KevinMoore
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-05
Lynn, Thanks for the advice. As I mentioned this is more like a dream than a real project and I appreciate your advice. Liyon, The book was "The Last Juror" by John Grisham. I have read it twice and I thoroughly enjoyed the book and it seemed that it would adapt to a movie very well. I don't know about getting his permission to officially write a screenplay though, I am sure that he has people working on it or something. I will probably right it though just for the experience. Thanks for the advice.
8/5/05 12:28 PM
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-05 12:28 PM
KevinMoore.... No problem. To be honest though, that would be next to impossible to get Grisham to allow that. He has had over 12 of his novels adapted to films already. You would be better off either writing your own story or finding an obscure author to approach for adaptation.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.