UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Toyota designs 10 new hybrids ?

8/5/05 5:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GucciGucciGucci
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-05

Toyota has 10 new hybrid designs under development. ------------ Hybrids to be major part of Toyota's future Automaker wants models to make up 25% of U.S. sales by next decade TRAVERSE CITY, Mich., - Toyota Motor Corp. wants hybrids to make up 25 percent of its U.S. sales by early in the next decade and is considering adding the technology to its entire lineup, including trucks, Toyota's North American president Jim Press said Wednesday. "To us, it's not a passing phase but a vital technology for the 21st century," Press said at an annual automotive conference in this northern Michigan city. Press spoke as Toyota announced that its profits fell 7 percent in its first fiscal quarter due to research costs and a stronger yen. The news was better in the United States, where Toyota announced Tuesday that July was its best-ever month for U.S. sales. Press said Toyota wants to sell 1 million hybrids worldwide by early in the next decade. That would require the automaker to sell 600,000 hybrids in the United States, or about one-quarter of its projected sales. That would require a significant increase in U.S. hybrid sales. A total of 83,153 hybrids were sold in the United States last year, according to R.L. Polk & Co., a Southfield, Mich.-based firm that collects and interprets automotive data. The Toyota Prius hybrid dominated that market, with 53,761 new Prius cars registered. Press said Toyota will meet its goal by aggressively introducing new hybrid versions of its lineup. The company launched two hybrid sport utility vehicles this year — the Lexus RX 400h hybrid in April and the Toyota Highlander hybrid in June — and will introduce hybrid versions of the Lexus GS sedan and the Toyota Camry next year. In addition, Press said Toyota has 10 hybrids under development. "People are buying hybrids for good reasons beyond fuel economy," Press said. "They realize hybrids are a simple way to make an important difference in curtailing foreign-oil dependence." Hybrid vehicles are powered by internal combustion engines but also are equipped with electric motors to assist with power and with batteries that are recharged while driving. They are more fuel efficient than traditional models, but typically cost $3,000 to $4,000 more. Anthony Pratt, an analyst with J.D. Power and Associates, has said that premium will limit sales of hybrids to less than 5 percent of the U.S. market by 2011. But Press is more bullish on the future of hybrids, saying the price will go down as more hybrids are produced. R.L. Polk analyst Lonnie Miller has said hybrids could make up 35 percent of the U.S. market by 2015 as long as automakers are committed to them. Toyota has been far ahead of the Big Three in production of hybrids. Ford Motor Co. has two hybrid vehicles on the market, but General Motors Corp. and DaimlerChrysler AG are still developing hybrids. But Press said Toyota isn't gloating and expects fierce competition for the coming influx of Generation Y car buyers. Press said 20 million people in the United States will be reaching driving age in the next five years. "Make no mistake about it: Detroit automakers are rebuilding and preparing for a new era of prosperity," Press said. "They will force all of us to get up on our toes." http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8813226/
8/5/05 5:08 PM
eviladam
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what a stupid strategy. they should be offering employee discounts to prepare for the future.
8/5/05 5:12 PM
flowerfeeder
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. My next car will be a Hybrid.
8/5/05 5:13 PM
The PBC
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how much fuel do they really save?
8/5/05 5:23 PM
GucciGucciGucci
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They save a pretty good amount of fuel. When they start selling hybrid versions of the big gas guzzlers, the savings will be enormous. The cost of hybrids should go down too, since a lot more will be built. I'm surprised that they haven't developed a hybrid diesel/electric big-rig.
8/5/05 5:27 PM
MR BIG1
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People are paying top dollar on used Prius's, Hertz is making a fortune.
8/5/05 5:28 PM
eviladam
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the hybrid accord v6 gets gas mileage similar to the 4 cylinder model, and has more power than the regular v6. a guy at work gets almost 50mpg with his civic hybrid.
8/5/05 5:30 PM
Hawkeyefan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How do they stand up in head on collisions with Yukons?
8/5/05 5:35 PM
GucciGucciGucci

They would be crushed. Just like any other car being smashed by a SUV. How would a Ford Focus stand up to a head on collision with a hybrid SUV ?
8/5/05 5:40 PM
TheDomester
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I assume a hybrid SUV would be heavier than a normal SUV, due to the heavy batteries, so you could crush the opposition at will.
8/5/05 5:44 PM
GucciGucciGucci

"I assume a hybrid SUV would be heavier than a normal SUV, due to the heavy batteries, so you could crush the opposition at will." That's a positive selling point right there !
8/5/05 6:22 PM
Mark1

"When they start selling hybrid versions of the big gas guzzlers, the savings will be enormous." It appears that Toyota has no plans for a hybrid pickup or full sized SUV. If you look at the sales volume, that is were the vast majority of gasoline is used, not in a sub compact (Prius). As a matter of fact, Toyota is aggressively building new capacity to manufacture full sized pickups and SUV in the US. Also, their full sized trucks are near the bottom in fuel economy. "build a hybrid Toyota Tundra 4x4 and I will be first in line to buy one " GM will launch a mild hybrid pickup next year and a full blown hybrid soon after. Replacing a conventional Civic that gets 30mpg with a hybrid that gets 40mpg makes little or no difference n fuel consumption when you consider total sales volumes. However, replace a full sized truck that gets 18mpg with one that gets 28mpg and that is a big difference when you look at total volumes. I believe the Ford and GM full sized vehicles and their variants account for well over a million and a half a year in sales in the US. "I'm surprised that they haven't developed a hybrid diesel/electric big-rig." GM has been testing hybrid buses in over 30 large cities for over a year now. Mark
8/5/05 6:23 PM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I go and buy a new car on my own I'll be looking to get a Civic Hybrid.
8/5/05 6:33 PM
Trust
583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is the report from cherry city?
8/5/05 7:10 PM
Trust
583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, I have a few relatives in TC, and have been there many many times. One of them actually is a hippie, although she's not dirty. I was just wondering if Toyota had some operations up there, or if the reporter was just making the report from there, or both.
8/5/05 7:15 PM
GucciGucciGucci

When will GM test a hybid diesel/electric 18-wheeler ?
8/5/05 9:13 PM
Mark1

"When will GM test a hybid diesel/electric 18-wheeler ? " Never. They aren't in the business of making tractor trailers. And its not the correct application of the technology. A hybrid operates in electric mode at slow speeds and stop and go traffic. The engine powers it at highway speeds. Tractor trailers operate 99.9% at highway speeds. Mark
8/9/05 12:49 AM
kanotoa
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Aug-05
What about fringe benifits of hybrids like using the regenrative braking as a jake brake for going down mountains? I also heard of putting electric motors at every wheel. That would increase efficiency and add AWD!
8/10/05 10:11 AM
Hawkeyefan

Edited: 10-Aug-05
Just talked to a good friend of mine who sells Toyotas in Phoenix. I asked him about the hybrids and he told me they have gotten quite a few calls from hybrid buyers who aren't getting the fuel economy they expected. He also told me that he recommends his customers buy the Camry which can get like 38mpg for $17K instead of the Prius which gets like 48mpg for $27K.
8/11/05 8:07 AM
Mark1

Edited: 11-Aug-05 08:07 AM
"I asked him about the hybrids and he told me they have gotten quite a few calls from hybrid buyers who aren't getting the fuel economy they expected. " I read a review of the Highlander hybrid today. It got a little over 20mpg in combined city/highway driving. Fuck, I get 24mpg in my 1999 minivan. And I probably have 3x the useable room. Mark
8/11/05 8:44 AM
flowerfeeder
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Aug-05
"What a surprise, maybe you'll get a free Tofu burger with purchase." That would be wonderful. "he recommends his customers buy the Camry which can get like 38mpg for $17K instead of the Prius which gets like 48mpg for $27K." How do the emissions compare?
8/11/05 9:20 AM
Mark1

"he recommends his customers buy the Camry which can get like 38mpg for $17K instead of the Prius which gets like 48mpg for $27K." Lots of BS in that statement. He recommends the Camry because he has a lot full of them. Mark
8/11/05 9:25 AM
Hawkeyefan

Mark - That may have something to do with it, but this wasn't a conversation where I was trying to buy a car from him. We hadn't talked in a month or so and were catching up and the topic of hybrids came up when I asked about his work. He did tell me there is a waiting list for some hybrids like 9 months long. Even so, it makes some sense to me to buy a very good car such as the Camry & get your 38mpg over buying the smaller Prius with a far less track record of dependability to get 48mpg. BTW - I have no idea about emissions.
8/11/05 10:04 AM
Mark1

They aren't gonna get 38 and 48 mpg respectively. The Prius might get about 38 in the real world. The Camry will get around 30. And the base price for the Camry is $18,500. Mark
8/13/05 7:01 PM
yarzy1

Edited: 13-Aug-05
The Prius in my eyes is much more than MPG. Has anyone here actually driven one? They are little spaceships inside. The first (I think) to have the keyless system and it has bluetooth, NAV, full color screen, etc. The 2006 with have a backup camera, iPod port and tire pressure monitoriing system along with some other things. I think it is a great little car that has a lot to offer than just MPG.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.