UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Any1 make an instructional vid b4?

8/12/05 4:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Aug-05

A friend just asked if I'd help with making a set of MA instructional videos.
The whole idea seems kind of daunting, but very appealing at the same. I could take my MA video making hobby to the next level with this. So far, I've just been documenting MMA shows.

I'm pretty sure I'd need at least a new camera because I'm single CCD and no remote mic input. I'd probably have to drop $500 at least.

I've burned all my discs directly off my Mac so far, but for this I'd need to output something that could go to a production service. Anyone have experience with any in NYC? What format would they be expecting?

What would be a fair price for turning out a reasonably well produced 40 minute instructional?

If it'd cost more to upgrade my software and gear than I could charge, I might ask for recommendations for someone to pass it on to.
8/12/05 6:49 PM
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Aug-05
To do a MA Instructional series, you could probably get away with your single chip. I wouldn't recommend it, but you could do it. You really need to be concerned with audio and lighting. I would suggest just renting a camera with a good mic (DVX100 with a seinheisser mic) Rent a light kit and do it. You could easily have your DVDs replicated in NYC at many locations. Discmakers is pretty cheap. There's a place on 30th between 7th and 8th that is pretty good too. I used them for a 2000 DVD order and they had a solid turn around with no disc problems on any discs. I just authored it in DVD Studio Pro and burned a copy on my mac and dropped it to them. Easy for a quick project that I needed to get out.
8/14/05 3:52 AM
grapple God
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Aug-05
I am finishing up a set that I did for Joe Moriera and Aaron Blake. I would echo what Lynn stated. We used a 3 ccd sony camera and sure sm 57 mics. Lighting and sound are your most important aspects. For editing I used Vegas on an IBM based pc. For rendering I believe most places what mpeg2 encoding with AC-3 audio. Good luck with your endevor.
8/15/05 4:55 PM
Willybone
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Aug-05
Thanks for the feedback!
It's a little intimidating, but I think I can pull it off, even with my old system (1Mhz G4, 512MB, iMovie/iDVD) and a new or rented camera. I'll probably have some more questions when I get started.
8/17/05 10:59 AM
Willybone

Edited: 17-Aug-05
What's a reasonable cost/rate for shooting and editing a 45 minute video?
Hourly? Flat? I just want to fall somewhere between "screwing myself over" and "pricing myself out of the job".
8/17/05 12:31 PM
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Aug-05
Wiilybone.... That is a difficult question to answer. There are many factors involved when shooting and editing an instrucitional video. How interactive are you looking at making it? You have to also understand that if the person you are shooting doesn't have a recognizable name, the sales that he can expect are not going to be significant so he will more than likely not be able to afford much. You should figure out a daily rate for yourself and your equipment. If you are renting a camera, which I would suggest, that needs to be figured into it as well. Given that you are editing in iMovie/iDVD, I would be hardpressed to make an arguement for much for your equipment fee. What is your experience as a filmmaker? If you are a newbie then use this as a way to gain experience. That is far more valuable than whatever fee you are going to charge. Definitely get paid, but get the experience as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.