UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Thoughts on Cycles & Addiction

8/15/05 2:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mandalalisten
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Aug-05

Some personal thoughts on cycles & addiction. At the edge of our awareness is an experential quality of "now" directly related to our relationship with natural cycles. These cycles seem to be... movement related. Movement and stillness of breath, body & soul. Our attachments to the experiential nowness that any external relationship brings... can be either or detrimental or benificial. You can paddle at the WRONG time to catch a wave. For the ultimately inexperienced, they get eaten by the shorebreak if only because they did not stop look and listen. Observation is key. Stepping away from our personal investments in sensory phenomenon. I say this because I was visiting a friend last night, a long time friend. He's having some "health problems" related to some nerve damage from being cut open by a box knife. Since then there's some functional problems going on, some digestive problem, etc. Massage & exercise helps with the pain, etc etc. Again all things that in a healthy relationship (non-addictive) occre in cycles. Naturally we must move and rest. Motion is met with stillness. Stillness is met with motion. A natural ebb and flow. Now there something else that "helps" with his pain and discomfort.... herb... and I gotta say he isn't using this in cycles... and it shows... Now I don't care WHAT relationships a person has in their life, you know to much oxygen will kill you? The ability to LET GO of any one phenomenological experience is SOOO important... in this case my long time friend has talked himself into believing that the herb is helping him while in actuality what is going to help him is HIM... reaching into and through his BODY... unifying that which has been made seperate by one experience of another. It's SOOOO frustrating when someone says, well what do you think? And I say, well... I think you need to be actively engaged in the now that is not based on an external stimulus... how the HELL do you say that to someone and not sound religious?!?! Very frustrating, if there is a religion of the body what is it indeed? Less is more and moderation is the key to riding the dual tide cycles of life that can so easily pull us to and fro? I'm not so sure this is something that can be taught thru words, I realize how important my experience at SBG is in learning about something as simple as training cycles, something so natural, but that extends even down to my love of Coffee... you know I can drink coffee until my kidneys hurt.... why? Cuz I have addictive cycles as well. It makes me question whether EVERYONE has addicitive cycles... it's curious that the Art we have all chosen gives us results when we follow some primary concepts that apply to pretty much every other phenomenological experience. How we grow is through the flow and the life that results from response and play displays the glimmer that stays in the hearts of many, to be remembered another day. I digress. I am saturated with gratitude for the people around me that motivate me, push me, yet let me be my own person. I am thankful for that. I am thankful for these people because they have taught me to know when to say "no" and when to say "yes". I'm not talking about moral absolutes, I'm talking about personal observation of peak experience and the qualities grown inside of individuals who are practicing this internal wave riding. This game we play does not seem just about "getting good" or even about "personal improvement" or "healthiness". If the truths we learn become cross pollenated with the rest of life, then this art must truly be about transformation of consciousness and not just about transformation of body. Ultimately the situation makes me take a step back and look at how we relate. How *I* related, and how can *MY* relationship benifit those around me. Wassom said a wise thing to me a couple weeks ago. He said you can't MAKE a person want help. You can't force them. Yet when someone asks "what's wrong with me?" I realize that sometimes they will listen, sometimes they will agree with what you "think".... but action costs something. I can't act for you... action is an investment of soul. Timing requires listening. If personal identication with external things (attachment) means more then finding our who you really are, then who are you when you have nothing? Where is nothing when all you have to have is "something" even if that something is a feeling. Where does the life come from? What brings the glimmer to the eye? If I could somehow inject that into someones soul would't that be cool, yet oh so sad and paradoxially wonderful that the choice is ours. David Copeland Beaverton SBGi
8/15/05 11:04 PM
Chuckk

Edited: 15-Aug-05
Excellent!
8/16/05 12:15 AM
PKF
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Aug-05
DC. Thanks for digging, reflecting and sharing....;)
8/18/05 2:41 AM
mandalalisten

Edited: 18-Aug-05
I found this excerpt from "Krishnamurti's Notebook" pg 99 bulging with wisdom. (Paris ; September 11th 1961) "Desire is always there; the objects of desire change, diminish or multiply but it is always there. Controlled, tortured, denied, accepted, suppressed, allowed to run freely or cut off, it is always there, feeble or strong. What is wrong with desire? Why this incessant war against it? It is disturbing, painful, leading to confusion and sorrow but yet it is there, always there, weak or rich. To understand it completely, not to suppress it, not to discipline it out of all recognition is to understand need. Need and desire go together, like fulfilment and frustration. theres no noble or ignoble desire but always desire, ever in conflict with itself. The hermit and the party boss are burning with it, call it by different names but it is there, eating away at the heart of things. When there is total understanding of need, the outward and the inner, then desire is not a torture. Then it has a quite different meaning, a significance far beyond the content of thought and it goes beyond feeling, with its emotions, myths and illusions. With the total understanding of need, not the mere quantity, or the quality of it, desire then is a flame and not a torture. Without this flame life itself is lost. It is this flame that burns away the pettiness of its object, the frontiers, the fences that have imposed upon it. Then call it by whatever you will, love, death, beauty. Then it is there without an end."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.