UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> So Flo 2 promo clip

8/18/05 10:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Aug-05

Here you go guys, Thanks for the amazing support behind So Flo 1. This is a demo/ promo clip of some of what will be on So Flo2 hopefully available in September. Please right click and save so not to crash our server. http://www.onedragon.com/videos/soflo2promo.wmv Three ways to mount all anmed in typical SBGi fashion, (shin slide, leg weave and ninja mounts), some cross side drag and quarter drags to take harness and many z-guard sweeps and subs. Enjoy, -Luis
8/18/05 10:58 AM
Mike Sweeney
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Save as... Luis' clips are the coolest!
8/18/05 2:22 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn it to hell *hands over money willingly to Luis G" Luis, quick question though. I heard you really got into using/exploring the harness when you hurt your back. Well I just recently hurt mine as well and while it heals was wondering how you went about training harness (since you couldn't use closed guard and all)?
8/18/05 2:45 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I learned to play half guard initially and did that for a couple of years, going from butterfly to half. Then came x-guard for quite a while. All of that to prevent stacking and working off of my back. Eventually my sweeps and hooks from bottom got good enough to allow guard passes so instead of holding guard, I started allowing passes and either hitting sweeps off of them or taking the back off of counters to sweeps. So many guys out there have amazing guard games but have trouble tapping people with solid base who stall. This too was solved quite a bit by playing off of a bladed structure that "allows" for guard passing attempts that look easy. That's when I look to sweep, take x, or take the back. Hurting my back pretty much stopped me from controlling much of anything. LOL! So instead I learned to let them do whatever they want....and learned not to be where they expected me to be. this usually ended up being on their back or on cross sides from a sweep. The way I look at jits now is not a matter of holding anything ever but instead shifting to wherever they are not by either giving them a clear opening or applying just enough pressure to motivate them to move. I feel I have a descent top gamme and am usually there but it never comes from forcing it on anyone....initially. ;) If your vantage point is always just yours, you will limit your development with the game. Their are many guys out there who can and do readily impose the same game on everyone but I don't find this as lasting as the versatility that comes from knowing the game as a whole and then playing to their weaknesses. And....they will get old or injured at some point and sticking with anything when it no longer works is a formula for frustration. I haven't rolled in months and as I roll less and less, I happen to see more and more while coaching. Stuff that I have been doing for a few years now but could not express to others. No watching our guys role and compete, I see much more of where timing and pace play out with pressure and/ or space. Needless to say, I think I am finally able to coach a game that is not based on any one person or approach but instead on the individual's particular style as it plays out with others. I am coaching strategy and timing / awareness now more than technique or combinations and am more intrested in helping athletes release what holds then back from progress more so than any specific change of technique or game. Its usually lack of flow or acceptance to movement that is not of their making. Most people tend to go back to what they know when under pressure instead of trusting what will come if they allow it and trust they are prepared for it. Yes, I know this comes from experience and time....but why not start now then? Hope that made some sense. -Luis
8/18/05 2:49 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Needless to say, I think I am finally able to coach a game that is not based on any one person or approach but instead on the individual's particular style as it plays out with others." That is the mark of a great Coach. Letting every athlete have their own game, while supplying the universal fundamentals. I'll check out the clip as soon as I can get my comp to open it : ) www.straightblastgym.com
8/18/05 3:10 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks Luis, I started to let people pass so I could get half guard and then backdoor to the back myself. Glad to see that I am on the same path of discovery! :) And yeah, of course time and experience are a factor, after all, its funner to work for something we want rather then it just be given to us.
8/18/05 4:27 PM
Jeff Duarte

You had me at Ninja mount!  :)
8/18/05 4:54 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just watched the clip. . .great stuff! FUN as always.
8/18/05 5:17 PM
Hunter V

ttt
8/18/05 8:16 PM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: 19-Aug-05 08:02 AM
Oh noez! He cut his hair! They have stolen all of his Rickson like powers!
8/19/05 12:32 AM
asymmetrik

Edited: 19-Aug-05
The clip looks great Luis. I noticed some gi standup in it. Is there a dedicated section of instruction for this on So Flo 2? Wish I could make it down for the Fall camp. I'll have to beg the NYC guys to take detailed notes! -e
8/19/05 1:21 AM
Jeff Duarte

Edited: 19-Aug-05
Great stuff Lou, I can't wait to check it out.
8/20/05 8:53 AM
roblewis73

Edited: 20-Aug-05
yay for radiohead, definitely will be picking this set up!!!
8/20/05 4:38 PM
Luis Gutierrez

Edited: 20-Aug-05
e, No section on Judo. Its just something we work quite a bit at our gym as its also a Judo Club. -Luis
9/14/05 4:41 PM
Ryan Thatcher

Edited: 14-Sep-05
"Needless to say, I think I am finally able to coach a game that is not based on any one person or approach but instead on the individual's particular style as it plays out with others." I wish I could afford to fly to Florida just to do a private with you Luis.
9/14/05 9:12 PM
Luis Gutierrez

Thank you very much Ryan. I wish I could figure a way to budget my time and well....budget to get more stuff out there :) Got So Flo2, ISR-PM and book (Ghost in a Gi) all behind schedule and I am a proffesional slacker or better stated, beach bum. Soon enough though, I think the book will convey the most short of any one on one exchange. -Luis
9/14/05 10:50 PM
Christian Montes

Ronin Athletics
that is an awesome book title!!!
9/15/05 5:21 AM
cdog1955

Edited: 15-Sep-05
I will second what Ryan said! I too wish it was possible to train with you. I started training in Jan 05 and i have a bad back, that and being over 50 i cant not hold positions or be stacked like most the dudes i train with, so i am trying to improve my ability to move, needless to say its tough trying to make myself be super relaxed so i can at least try to move and develope some fluidity, from that clip seems everyone that trains with you is very fluid, and has that flow to their game that seems out of my reach, maybe i just dont have enough time on the mat yet. thanks for your info!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.