UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> What is Leg Fencing???????

7/30/02 6:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AARFRMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jul-02 06:03 PM

By Robert Verdell (Nowaydo) on Monday, July 29, 2002: I have reviewed Scott Sonnon’s Leg Fencing and it really is a bonus for fans of the “Clinch”, which he explains as a combination of a locking arm, power transfer arm, mobile leg and supporting leg. This covers how you use the tools below your waist, where "Fisticuffs" works on tools and strategies above the waist. But, THEY ALL WORK TOGETHER. The strategy is to secure your opponent, shock him and finally saturate him. In securing him you must contend with the appropriate “range”. Mr. Sonnon uses “joint” depth opposed to the traditional kicking, boxing, trapping/clinching, grappling ranges. There is no contact depth, wrist/ankle depth, knee/elbow depth, hip/shoulder depth and spinal depth. After you secure him, you must “shock” him. Here Mr. Sonnon’s Leg Fencing makes no distinction between striking and grappling, for they can both “shock” your opponent. Some of the Leg Fencing tactics consist of post, trips, sweeps, hooks and reaps. They all can be used as either a grappling tool to throw or a striking tool to momentarily shock your opponent. Finally, there is the “saturation” of your opponent or finishing him with an overwhelming and non-stop attack, whether it’s grappling or striking.(Flow fighting) The gems of the material are the drills he includes. He shows “static” drills to work on your mechanics (which should be done for only 25 reps or 5minutes) and he shows “fluid” drills(for decreasing mistakes and recovery time from errors), which are broken up into Asymmetrical (one guy attacking and one defending) and symmetrical (both attacking and defending). The drills are done with fighters holding on to each other’s wrist, collar and elbow, waist-locking(pummeling position). You will definitely find out what tool are and are not wise to use. Mr. Sonnon shows several tool development games also that look very fun. He also does a series on the use of knee strikes in the clinch, how to use and defend against them. You’ll see all drills demonstrated “live” by Mr. Sonnon and his students. The most difficult area for most will be the “Tool development” part. The exercises are not easy, but can be broken down so you can progress at your own rate. It helped that I have experience in dance, yoga and familiarity with his Dvizheniye material. But you’ll see how it all makes sense in the drills. This is a workout within itself. You won't need yoga, combat conditioning or plyometrics if you can do these movements. Why is this different? Well, he reminds us not to forget to use our legs(entire legs from hip to toes) in the clinch. He renovates things you might find on Greg Nelson’s material by providing more information, understanding and options. And again….the drills, I can’t expound enough on how good they are and how they all work in a planned progression. This material makes it clear the ROSS is not a style, but a training method. There are drills that would be great if you only did Judo, only did Thai boxing, only did wrestling, or if you are just a streetfighter(whatever that means). There is so much more to this, but my goal here was to give a “general” idea of what “Leg Fencing” covers. Robert
8/20/02 9:03 PM
nowaydo

Edited: 20-Aug-02
Scott, I introduced one of my training groups to Leg Fencing. We spent the entire night going over Leg Fencing drills. They were extremely impressed. They had to admit that with all the "Clinch"/Greco in our combatives training we had been doing, that we had almost ignored most of our weapons from the waist down. What was most enlightening for them was breaking tactics down to a locking arm, power transfer arm, support and moble leg. With those simple concepts, they saw how they did not need "techniques", for they made their own by embracing those concepts. We were laughing at how effortless the throws became. Thanks again, Robert
8/20/02 10:30 PM
Sonnon

Edited: 20-Aug-02
Way to go, Robert. Send my congrats to your group. Freedom's such a rush.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.