UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Silat and MMA

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/26/05 8:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
anodize
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Aug-05

The last issue of Black Belt had an article about how the Dog Brothers are incorporating silat and kali to their MMA game. My question is: Is silat really better for MMA than other traditional Asian martial arts (like the Chinese martial arts, for example), since MMAists generally denigrate the traditional arts as not being effective?
8/27/05 1:11 AM
TenChiDo

Edited: 27-Aug-05 01:15 AM
Many of the Dog Brothers have past/present experience training with Kali/Silat instructors like Guro Inosanto. Remember, their style of fighting (sticks) is based on the foundations of many traditional Filipino styles, mixed with grappling (Jujitsu). I have studied some Silat styles (Indonesian). They are nasty! By far, Silat is one of my favorite TMAs. But, the entries and transitions can be difficult to prefect. And hardcore training in Silat can be painful. So IMO, the Dog Brothers are incorporating Kali/Silat in MMA because they know and study it. Would it be a good idea for fighters like Couture and Liddell to learn Silat to be more effective? Definitely not! The style would not fair well in competitions like the UFC. I'm guessing the DB's MMA is stick fighting??
8/28/05 11:09 AM
anodize

Edited: 28-Aug-05
Given that line of reasoning, those who know and study the traditional Chinese arts should be able to find useful things in those arts for MMA. Do you know much about traditional Chinese martial arts? If so, would you say that they can be useful for MMA?
9/6/05 4:00 PM
TenChiDo

Edited: 06-Sep-05
I agree that incorporating your past/present knowledge and experience of TMA can be useful for MMA; however, training for the ?sport? of MMA (UFC, Pride, KOTC, etc) is completely different. Having a background in TMA, I currently train in MMA. The set of rules, techniques and strategies have evolved over the years for MMA training, and require one to train MMA (ie. learning to pin an opponent to cage for GnP) to become a successful MMA fighter. With the exception of Juijitsu, the transition from TMA to MMA to not very easy. The footwork, the flow, the clinches?.everything is different. With that said, I don?t see a benefit from a MMA fighter training in a TMA like Silat to better his/her skills for MMA fighting. The popular MMA schools have a proven training curriculum. It?s boxing (hands up, chin in), to the clinch, takedown and ground skills. Just an FYI, I remember a Penchak Silat guy in UFC 2 who tapped pretty quickly. Please note, I?m not bashing any TMA, or Silat specifically. I have trained in the style, and I absolutely love it! I just now train at a MMA school since self-defense drills was not improving my MMA game.
9/6/05 6:21 PM
TenChiDo

Edited: 06-Sep-05
I agree that incorporating your past/present knowledge and experience of TMA can be useful for MMA; however, training for the ?sport? of MMA (UFC, Pride, KOTC, etc) is completely different. Having a background in TMA, I currently train in MMA. The set of rules, techniques and strategies have evolved over the years for MMA training, and require one to train MMA (ie. learning to pin an opponent to cage for GnP) to become a successful MMA fighter. With the exception of Juijitsu, the transition from TMA to MMA to not very easy. The footwork, the flow, the clinches?.everything is different. With that said, I don?t see a benefit from a MMA fighter training in a TMA like Silat to better his/her skills for MMA fighting. The popular MMA schools have a proven training curriculum. It?s boxing (hands up, chin in), to the clinch, takedown and ground skills. Just an FYI, I remember the Penchak Silat guy in UFC 2 who tapped pretty quickly? Please note, I?m not bashing any TMA, or Silat specifically. I have trained in the style, and I absolutely love it! I just now train at a MMA school since self-defense drills was not improving my MMA game.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.