UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Cerebral and Somatic Engineering

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

Scott, Thanks for the letter. I have no problem. Its unfortunate [from a commercial sense] that many of the terms we use are confusingly similar. I would only ask that you direct people to my forum or invite me in on discussions when any possible controversy or complimentary discussion might occur. Thanks fo posting this, another fine demonstration of maturity and respect -- something sorely lacking in this community. Tony
Steub

Forum Brothers, Just a quick comment on what a breath of fresh air this post was. How nice to hear two adults with very high personal standards and opinions express themselves in a polite and professional manner. Beats the hell out of "rickson vs. king kong", or as I see it "my daddy can beat up your daddy". We all have alot to learn from these guys. Just a thought....
bremc

ABSOLUTELY!
Kirik
1664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC
This is the thread of the month, it's heart is the breifest dialogue. I am sometimes saddened by the degree of contentiousness between human beings in general, on the Internet in general, and among martial artists in particular. This thread gives me hope, and points a way for others to behave-with professionalism, intelligence, and a desire to find common ground. Were everyone in martial arts to show even a degree of the character shown here by Scott and Tony, the general public would look up to us like teachers or doctors, instead of perceiving us as, well, that is another post.
Prophet

Incremental victories are what we strive for in combat sometimes. If pursued, they add up and eventually snowball into the conquering of our foe. I see this thread as blow to the political bickering that has plagued our arts for far too long. I hope it spreads and helps to act as an anti-virus for this seemingly eternal plague. Unique and thoughtful insight is invaluable, and I find it in abundance in both Tony and Scott's forums. I hope more discover the wealth of knowledge therein. Joel
Tony Blauer

Thanks Joel & Kirik: Naturally, leading the horses to the water is what is needed initially, so please spread the word. Whether anyone comes back for a sip or mouthful is then up to themselves. Tony
Prophet

Tony, You're quite welcome. Thanks for all the insight as I've printed a book's worth of pages from here and Scott's Q&A. Don't worry, I won't be forgetting where the words came from. :) On a side note, I finally got my Advanced Spear tape, popped it in and it kept me up til 2am. I look forward to going through the rest of the library of your work that I've invested in. Joel
bremc

Advance SPEAR tape?? What? Am I missing something?
Prophet

"ADVANCED SPEAR SYSTEM APPLICATIONS FOR MIXED MARTIAL ARTS" is the exact title. Tony ran a special for members of MMA.com on it when it came out. In my first cursory viewing, I found it to be quite revolutionary in regards to competition fight preparation. It certainly fills in a lot of gaps neglected in the current training paradigm. What some fighters gain through experience and attrition in adjusting to reality competition fighting, Tony breaks new ground into shortening the learning curve for a first time fighter. It's a great piece of work, and Phil's fight at the end exemplifies what Tony and he worked on prior. I've seen many fights, both in my amateur boxing days, and some live MMA events...and I don't think I've seen a first time MMA fighter as calm throughout his match as Phil was. Joel
Tony Blauer

Joel - I'm so happy you saw the magic of the Replicaiton PRinciple, that insight has literally saved Police Officers lives. It was easy to apply it to the MMA arena. How about a more detailed review for the MMA crowd and please, please [did I mention please?] post your thoughts on the UNDERGROUND - the MENTAL EDGE is 'Sacred Ground' and few venture here [its kind of like a secret meeting place for us that know :-) ] Tony
Prophet

Tony- I'd be happy to do a full review once I've gotten a chance to take an in-depth viewing of the tape. I meant only to skim through it since I started it late at night, but my fascination kept me up until it finished at 2am. It'll be my first shot at a "review" of someone's work and hopefully I can weave something seamless enough that does the work justice. I'll give you a heads up prior to posting in the Underground. Joel P.S. I kind of like the "sacred ground" feel that both yours and Scott's forums foster. I feel its kept the levels of discussion at much higher, open-minded levels than the typical "my momma's JJ can beat yo daddy's catch rasslin'."
Tony Blauer

NIce Scott. I'd like to add another point that echoes Scott's above regarding the quality of the forum's threads... In my PERSONAL DEFENSE READINESS Instructor developemnt program, each participant is given a treatise called NOTES ON THE PHILOSOPHY OF TEACHING where the importance of the student is layed out. Teaching & coaching exists only because there is a student or a team. The teaching/coaching should not/does not exist simply for the coach/teacher, without the student there is no 'us'. Embracing this reality would change much of the curricula in the MA world - it would certainly change a lot of attitudes and egos if those in the 'leadership' role embraced this TCMS Maxim: "Never show someone what you can do, only show them what they can do." Anyhow, this ramble was to get to this point: Over the years I have been asked how I came up with the insights, ideas and drills that make up the TCMS curriculum and my answer has always been simply that I have had some great students and great students force great classes, great dialogue and great introspection! Tony
socal
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tony great point. With out students a teacher would be worthless. It is a dual relationship Too often teaching has used the model of 'The full container teacher fills up the empty container student'
Tony Blauer

"An expert is someone who memorizes someone elses material." It must be interdependent and too many instrcutors fail to realize that the lesson exists soley for the student and in that process, serendipity occurs and the teacher grows. "Qui Docet, Dicet" From the ASLET slogan, translates as "Those who teach, learn." Tony
DI MadMan

Tony, I am impressed and inspired by your words and your philosophies. I incorporate your ideology daily in my Academy classes. It is amazing to see the students develop and more amazing to see the growth in me by learning from them. I am so indebted to you and your teachings I have no words. I and my students and more importantly my loved ones Thank YOU!!! Scott very refreshing to see your wonderful views also. Thanks too all..Stay Safe as always...Charlie

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.