UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Operations Research

9/3/05 12:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Sep-05

Hey all, I'm considering going back to university and doing a commerce degree. Atm I'm thinking between majoring in economics or operations research. I haven't heard pf operations research until now but it sounds interesting. How practical is it for a long term career?
9/3/05 3:50 AM
Revolver of Reason
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Sep-05
operations research will always be in demand as long as there are complex businesses. you better bring your A-level math game with op research though. a good operations research program is basically an applied mathmatics program - you take math major classes and applied and op research classes for your elective math classes.
9/4/05 2:56 PM
Dogbert

Edited: 04-Sep-05
Operations research is applied optimization theory- a subarea of applied math.
9/5/05 6:48 AM
IronMonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Sep-05
Thanks guys for the advice.I've found mathematics more interesting as I get older which is strange because I used to hate it with a passion back in high school. I did an accounting degree but that didn't require me to do any maths subjects (unless you include first year statistics). Can you guys advise me on what maths I should start revising on in preparation?
9/5/05 6:36 PM
Dogbert

Edited: 05-Sep-05
Calculus
9/8/05 12:17 PM
fanat

Edited: 08-Sep-05
I took an operations research course once. It was VERY difficult and I was a math major. You need to study a lot Calculus and linear algebra to get started.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.