UnderGround Forums

Chris Brennan >> Brennan DVDs - Need your input

9/3/05 4:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam LaClair
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Sep-05
ImposeYourWill.com

Hey guys, I'm going to be filming Chris' next DVD series later this month. He's reviewing the first set right now to figure out exactly what he wants to put into them. What I would like is some feedback on the first set....... What you liked, what you didn't like, were they too short, too long, did Chris talk to fast, just right, etc. In particular, if there is something SPECIFIC you'd like to see, let us know, and if it's something we get a lot of requests for then we might just slide it in. ;-) Thanks guys, Adam LaClair
9/3/05 7:47 AM
ny boy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would personally like to see a lot of work from the guard like more reversals and not fancy stuff just good solid basics and then go into the more fancy stuff. and more escapind side control and fighting from the top depends if it's going to be a mma series or all grappling series.
9/3/05 9:30 PM
Adam LaClair
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ImposeYourWill.com
Probably some of both.
11/22/05 3:56 PM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 22-Nov-05
ImposeYourWill.com
We start filming this weekend!
11/27/05 6:14 PM
DevonMichael

Edited: 27-Nov-05
sweet!
12/22/05 1:43 AM
BJJStudent

Edited: 22-Dec-05
Did you ever get a final list of what the DVDs will cover? When will they be available?
12/24/05 1:20 AM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 24-Dec-05
ImposeYourWill.com

Final list?  Not yet.  Probably won't have that until we get sick of filming and decide enough is enough for one set. ;-)

Availability is still off quite a ways........ Spring, maybe.

12/24/05 8:06 PM
Neckcranku
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love to see some of his conditioning methods!
12/24/05 11:34 PM
Adam LaClair

ImposeYourWill.com

It'll be covered. ;-)

1/9/06 1:29 AM
BJJStudent

Edited: 09-Jan-06
Any chance they will show the fight class training? He had some pretty good students through the school over the years, so I would be interested in seeing the structure of the class, etc.
1/9/06 6:18 PM
WestsideStrangler
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jan-06
I'll look in to that. Would I need peoples permission if it is on my cam corder and they knew I was taping?
1/10/06 1:22 AM
KillBill

Edited: 10-Jan-06
I trained with Chris in Vernon a couple times and have his first DVD set. He could probably make another dvd on just the Kimura with stuff not on the first one. Include taking the counter to the kimura into an armlock (not sure if that made sense but he did finish someone with it). Counters to armlocks into armlocks.
1/10/06 1:40 AM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 10-Jan-06
ImposeYourWill.com
Chris - look into that, but I don't believe you need any special release unless CA has a law about it.
1/22/06 2:03 AM
amsbjj

Edited: 22-Jan-06
GUARD PASSING FOR MMA
1/24/06 3:20 PM
FarEastGrappler

Edited: 24-Jan-06

adam - how are the new videos coming along.

-don

1/28/06 10:44 PM
Adam LaClair

Edited: 28-Jan-06
ImposeYourWill.com

Don - we still have a lot of filming to do.

Adam

1/30/06 11:07 AM
TheRealLegolas

Edited: 30-Jan-06 11:07 AM
How about some material on stand up striking, the clinch, mma and striking offense/defence on the ground. There is already tons of info available on sport grappling.
1/30/06 11:15 AM
TheRealLegolas

Edited: 30-Jan-06
The ideas of submission defence/counters and getting back on your feet that were mentioned on another post are good because this is stuff that has not really been covered yet on other instructionals.
2/2/06 7:31 AM
republik

Edited: 02-Feb-06
Being an mma practitioner I would like to see different subbs being applied from different angles and different mounts and positions. It's very important to see in slow motion how to subbmit your apponent with the same technique but from different mounts,especially if the apponent knows certain counters. Another thing that would complete the dvd set would be proper foot work while striking. Like how to throw certain combos while sitting on the punches,only to then shoot for the take down once the opponent is dazed. What drills and small tachtics to use during training to properly walk the ring all the while angeling your opponent. I am currently in the process of polishing my skills but we all know that can take a lifetime and so since im constantly learning how to fully improve my hand work, foot work and grappling, I figured why not post what I need help with so I could help another fighter in simelare shoes. Hopefully this isnt to much to ask. Thank you in advance.
2/2/06 12:44 PM
TheRealLegolas

I got a couple of more ideas. Since you have fought in Brazil and Pride how about a couple of DVD's on Pride style and Brazilian vale tudo style tactics such as stomps, soccer kicks, headbuts etc.. Also from reading your m'fin liar post since you have tons of bouncing and street fighting experiance how about a couple of volumes on street tactics and dealing with weapons etc.. People with far less credability and experience pass them selves of as reality tactic experts.
2/2/06 3:18 PM
TheRealLegolas

Its a good thing you guys are waiting a while to film this instructional series. With all the ideas and forum requests for this series it could easily fill 12 dvd volumes. You guys should write down, organize and plan this as best you can then you should post the lesson plan so we can give feedback. I think it will be a best seller.
2/2/06 6:44 PM
WestsideStrangler
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/3/06 2:48 PM
TheRealLegolas

Edited: 03-Feb-06
10 fingure guillotine for MMA Drills to develop skills in striking, throws, takedowns, submission and positioning. Defense to everything. Most instructionals are mainly offense.
2/4/06 8:27 AM
shootthesingle

Edited: 04-Feb-06 08:31 AM
PLEASE, PLEASE do a bunch of stuff from half guard!! Half guard positioning, Half guard sweeps, Half guard submission set-ups, half guard everything! There's very, very few no-gi instructionals that cover the half guard in intricate detail. Eddie Bravo won't put his super secret half guard game on video (as he once promised) so, Chris, you could set the half guard instructional standard. Additional ideas: Guard Passing, Countering Guard passes (closed, open,butterfly), Armbar set-ups,Defending armbar's,Triangle set-ups, Defending Triangles.
2/4/06 10:17 AM
republik

Edited: 04-Feb-06
I think all those ideas are great but realistically speaking we cant expect Mr. Brennan to teach you how to grapple through the tv screen. Some things can only be learnt by doing and going through the motions. If you want to learn how to pass half gaurd,or full gaurd learn how to sweep the leg over. I think Mr. Brennan' dvd collection should really show certain fundamentals to give the viewer the power to try and experiment with out really screwing up.Fundamentals and proper basics is all you realy need. How to bop and weave properly?,or,How to shuffle your feet when striking?, these questions can be answered by demonstrating and then giving excersises to develop those motor reflexes. Realistically though to truley polish those skills is to spar,and spar alot more. When it comes to grappling it's so much harder to really see what little things are being done to set up the leg sweep to pass the opponents gaurd. But maybe then again I guess its all in the way its filmed. I just keep picturing the old school videos where the instructor would demonstrate a move but only show you the 1d version of it, so you never really got to see everything. I guess the one thing we could all learn is proper posture when grappling, that way we could learn how to feel and see the opponent trying to go for their sub. Anyways good luck,to everyone.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.