UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Opinions please

9/4/05 7:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
spc36
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Sep-05

I am thinking of returning to the mat after 5 years off.I would very much like to compete.My dilemma is that I have a few injuries, wich is why I qit training in the first place. I used to do mainly MMA and Sub. Grappling. I am thinking I would like to try GI grappling. It seems to be a slower and more methodical pace.It also seems to be a more technical game.Are these things true? And do you think this would be a good avenue of competition for a guy in his thirties with a few old injuries? The GI grappling seems like it would be a little safer. Thanks for any opinions.
9/5/05 12:42 AM
cprevost
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Sep-05
Yeah, I would certainly go for the GI grappling. I learned when I turned 30 that over 30 means you are always training with some sort of injury. I'm 38 now and always have something sore or injured. Good Luck!
9/5/05 8:42 AM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It all depends on the gym and not the cloth. I have seen and trained at gyms that are gi oriented that do nothing but teach a couple of techniques and then go at it where the win is all that matters for the next hour and a half. Ideally, the cloth should slow down the game to the point where the pace an pressure also become more about technique but that depends on the coach or who is running the class. Recovery time changes as we get older. Ask Matt. ;) So its best to learn to train smarter and pace your training sessions throughout the week. Allowing for recovery and knowing who to train with and who to avoid also helps. -Luis
9/5/05 12:16 PM
spc36

Edited: 11-Sep-05 12:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the input.Luis I think the ISR program looks great. I cant wait to see more on the civilian self defense aspect of the curriculum.What do you consider to be essential jits for the street? Thanks, Shane
9/5/05 2:01 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Recovery time changes as we get older. Ask Matt. ;)" Funny, but true. Training smart is always the key. I always suggest people try both. Some of the guys at my Gym were solely no-gi, and hated gi. But when they tried both and realized it can really change the dynamic, even when rolling with the same person, they were hooked. Doing both is fun, and also good for your game.
9/10/05 1:16 PM
mandalalisten

Edited: 10-Sep-05
"My dilemma is that I have a few injuries, wich is why I qit training in the first place. " I'm 29 and when I sit in one place and become sedintary I do not feel like I did when I was 18. Things seem to be "slowing down" slightly. My attention to my bodies timing and cycles has improved though, including my awareness of when a past injury area needs some 'work" to do in order to stay healthy. Another thing if I don't stretch and warmup "properly" before doing jiu jitsu or any athletic activity for that matter, injuries seem more frequent. Loosening up and at LEAST break the sweat and breath barrier is a must to get the proper "feel" of training now. This "feel" is far superior to what I felt when I was 18 and a good warmup seems to intensify it. Without a warmup training feels "surface level". Just muscles, no center hip connection. "I used to do mainly MMA and Sub. Grappling. I am thinking I would like to try GI grappling. It seems to be a slower and more methodical pace.It also seems to be a more technical game.Are these things true?" Yes. Look for your defensive habits to improve dramatically w/ the gi. 'slipping' out of arms bars is one example; w/ a gi it's very difficult unless they are doing the armbar totally wrong. "And do you think this would be a good avenue of competition for a guy in his thirties with a few old injuries?" I think it's in the mindset, if your training properly, working with your own cycles and naturally progressing then the competition just becomes a mind game, not an athletic obsticle. The mind game becomes the obsticle. Hope this helps on your way back to the mat. Good training to you. David Copeland Beaverton SBgi
9/11/05 12:30 AM
spc36

Edited: 11-Sep-05
9/11/05 12:44 AM
spc36

Edited: 11-Sep-05
thanks Matt and David for the tips.I am going to try and hit the mats in a couple of days.Would either of you be willing to tell me your take on the question I asked Luis regarding what is essenstial street jits? Thanks, Shane

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.