UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> considering a trip to Brazil

9/10/05 2:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kikenyoy
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Sep-05

My roommate and I are tentatively planning a trip in November: 2 weeks in Brazil, and a week each in Buenos Aires and Uruguay. How safe is it Brazil? With only 2 weeks where would you reccommend we go? I study BJJ but I'm not looking to do any training while I'm there. Thanks.
9/27/05 10:05 PM
Otsuka
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-05
my friends from brazil love canada cuz u can walk the streets after 6pm. they also say most cars in brazil have bulletproof windows. I'm still going for carnaval anyway!
10/20/05 2:36 PM
newera
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-05
I was talking about brazil with Royce while training in Milan, Italy and he scared me by pointing out that simply sitting out in an open air restaurant, as we were doing at the moment, you need to be aware of your surroundings cause it wasn't a rarity to have someone run up with a gun and rob you...Id love to visit, but I'm going to do a lot more research before I ever go...and get a better tan.
10/20/05 3:09 PM
kikenyoy
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Oct-05
Holy shit! These are the types of stories I've been hearing for quite a while. I emailed Scott at OntheMat (he is a bjj video producer living in Brazil)...and he said that the nicer areas of Rio such as Ipanema are very safe during the day, just don't walk around too much at night. Copa is a bit more dangerous but probably still ok. Same with Salvador. If I get robbed for a hundred bucks or so I'm ok with that, it's the getting killed that worries me! Still undecided at this point. I was thinking about Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile. Maybe I'll skip Brazil or maybe I'll just go to Costa Rica instead.
1/21/06 2:41 AM
WowUTapFast
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jan-06
Wow...I was in Brazil in Nov. Stayed in Ipenama. Had an AWESOME time. Went out to restaurants, clubs, etc. Never felt threatened ever. I do know there are some areas that are "unfriendly", but we just stayed in our area and took taxi's everywhere. We hit restaurants and clubs in Copa, etc....and again, never felt threatened. Beaches, training, food, chicks....all awesome. Planning on going back in March. PS- I do know a woman, whom I trust very much, who said years ago she was in Brazil and was robbed 4 times IN THE SAME DAY!!!
1/23/06 6:47 AM
Aussie Gumby

Edited: 23-Jan-06
kikenyoy: I spent 8 months in Brazil.. I had a great time and had no problems. That said, I heard many many stories from Brazilian friends of mine about bad shit that had happened to them Rio / SP / Salvador are the most dangerous. I was in Floran?polis (Floripa) in the south. It was great and is one of the safer cities which is why so many of the rich folk from Rio and SP are moving there! It's Caranval isn't on the same scale as the cities I mentioned before, but you are much much less likely to have any dramas. In addition, as it's in the south, travel to Montevideo and BA will be quicker, easier and cheaper. It also has, according to discovery channel, the beach with the most beautiful people in the world - Praia Mole. - It's on an island also... there are 42 beaches... And if you did have the urge, there is plenty of good jj there too.
1/25/06 9:36 AM
kikenyoy

Edited: 25-Jan-06
Aussie Gumby, I ended up going back to Thailand but I still want to do that trip in the future. Thanks for the tip about Florianopolis...sounds nice and it's close to Iguacu falls which I've heard is amazing.
1/25/06 9:38 AM
kikenyoy

Edited: 25-Jan-06
WowUTapFast, I guess the last 3 guys didn't get much! :)
1/26/06 6:16 AM
Aussie Gumby

Edited: 26-Jan-06 05:50 PM
yep Igua?u Falls are spectacular - you can also pop over the border to Paraguay to be cheap electronics ;) Also just some additional info re visas: Brazil doesn't let you in unless you have a ticket out. I bought a bus ticket to Paraguay and they accepted this. When I got to Brazil I cancelled the bus ticket and got a full refund. (I had my g/f post me the ticket and included it in my visa application) Also, as Igua?u Falls is such a major tourist spot and is right on the border between Argentina and Brazil, the border checking here is very VERY lax. I crossed borders without having to even produce a passport. I walked thru their border controls with no problems whatsoever.
4/2/06 12:04 AM
Perry H

Edited: 02-Apr-06
They say thailand has the best ladyboys and Brazil have the best shemales. Anyway, as long as you don't spend all your time in the bad areas of rio, sp, or salvador you'll be okay. Just don't flash your money around and try to show off how "rich you are". Just walk around the same you would in a big american city. I definetly plan to go back.
4/4/06 2:16 AM
HELWIG
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Apr-06
Your trip has been considered and denied by the ruling party of the travelground.
4/4/06 11:21 AM
Perry H

Edited: 04-Apr-06
Usually the people who say don't go are the ones who've never been there and only heard stories.
4/9/06 8:05 PM
alphafemale

Edited: 09-Apr-06
we went there and never felt threatened whatsoever. And we walked around at night - I think it's just a matter of keeping aware of your surrounding and NOT going to the really bad areas. We took buses, etc and there was never an issue. We also found great deals - some of the apartments there rent out and we got an apt with two beds, a separate eating area and full kitchen for $20 a day, right across from Ipanema. This was a few years ago but I'm sure there are still similar deals if you take the time to look for them. I also suggest Buzios...
8/11/06 10:14 PM
Jahz

Edited: 11-Aug-06
stores.ebay.com/directfrombrazil = my shameless plug! I got a course on it for all these questions and more. I am a gringo who moved there 3 years ago. I stayed pretty much str8 thru for 3 years and now am on a half a year here...half a year there rotation.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.