UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> biggest non-typical elk ever taken

9/20/05 3:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Munkehed
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Sep-05
Some people are just dumb. I like hunting for my food, its fresher, better for you, and is less likely to carry a disease. Fairness, are you stupid? Would you be stupid enough to wrestle a bear, elk, or tiger? Why all the hatred towards people who decide to hunt? You liberals kill me with all that stuppidity, just because we don't want to conform to your way of life.
9/20/05 4:02 PM
checkuroil
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i ask for your conformance for the sake of the life of another creature that deserves to be on this planet as much as you do.  thats like saying "im sick of you guys telling me i cant murder people."

"Fairness, are you stupid? Would you be stupid enough to wrestle a bear, elk, or tiger?"

no, thats why i dont do that. 

hunting has gotten to the point that its a massacre, not a sport.  moreover, even if all planes were levelled, it is wrong to kill for fun.  yes, many of you will say that you do it for food, yet i think that its easier to go to the supermarket to get food than to go to all the hassle of buying a gun, getting a hunting license, tracking an animal all day, killing it, dragging it to your car, butchering it, etc.....  thus, you do it for fun. that is gross.

9/20/05 4:13 PM
Hawkeyefan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"hunting has gotten to the point that its a massacre, not a sport." Prove it. BTW - If you've ever driven down a highway in Iowa around late fall/early winter at dusk you'd understand why hunting deer is a GOOD thing - for the deer. There are literally so many of them they are a hazard to drivers AND the population has brought predators such as mountain lions back into the state. The population is out of control. In certain parts of the state they are adding a season this year. It is a fact that there are more deer in North America now than there were 100 years ago. What is wrong with keeping the population at it's best size and allowing people to hunt for not only food but for trophy big bucks?
9/20/05 5:16 PM
checkuroil
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Prove it. "

pouring deer urine to lure them isnt exactly a sport, you think

population control is always the main argument once ethics is over.  again, is it our right to regulate their population?  moreover, humans are overpopulating the earth. there are more humans now than there have been ever. in fact, many scientists believe that we are past our natural carrying capacity, and that if fertilizer wouldnt have been invented, wed be in deep shit.  so, if you are so worried about population control, why dont you go kill humans too?

here is where you say that deers and humans are not equal.  arrogance aside, please tell me how one living creature has a right to overpopulate and the other doesnt.  car accidents garbage eating is not an excuse.

9/20/05 6:06 PM
Munkehed
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you ever been deer hunting? Just because you see that it looks easy on t.v. don't mean that it is.
9/20/05 6:10 PM
Munkehed

Oh yea have you seen over populations of deer and other animals. That starve out live in poor conditions, and come into paths of vehicles were people may get killed. When you talk about going to the store that is more inhumane than anything I may do in the woods. Does it make you feel better letting someone else kill the animal that they put in the store. You really have no clue what the other side of life is like so quit bashing it.
9/20/05 6:12 PM
checkuroil

im a vegitarian, so i dont go to the store and buy dead animals.

why dont you let nature run its course? who are you to play god now?

"Have you ever been deer hunting? Just because you see that it looks easy on t.v. don't mean that it is."

regardless of the difficulty, i still see an ethical problem with sport killing.

9/20/05 6:14 PM
jacktripper

checkuroil- so no leather at all... not even in the car?
9/20/05 6:19 PM
checkuroil

not in the car. not for shoes.

and even if i did have leather, that wouldnt make my argument any less right.

you see, arguments stand outside of the person putting forth the argument. even a serial killer is right when he says killing is wrong. 

9/20/05 6:53 PM
coach

The Hmong dude from Wisconson, would win.
9/20/05 9:05 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Sep-05 09:23 AM
checkyouroil, growing up on a farm in the midwest I've seen how weak and old deer suffer thru the winter and I've found their emaciated, babrely moving cold bodies struggling on the ground. I've seen genetic freaks due to overpoluation. deer without bottom jaws, mangled horns, deformed legs. I can't count the number of deer I've seen on the roadside killed by a car. The reality is that before man came along, there were other big predators that kept the herd in check. but man took the land and drove them off or killed them as they killed his animals as well. so there is always something that has to keep the role of the predator and keep the balance of the herd with the land. people don't hunt like they used to and the populations are always rising. it puts stress on each animal. "i think that its easier to go to the supermarket to get food than to go to all the hassle of buying a gun, getting a hunting license, tracking an animal all day, killing it, dragging it to your car, butchering it, etc..... thus, you do it for fun. that is gross." Nothing worth doing is easy. and being difficult is part of the enjoyment of being an outdoorsman. (Is mma training easy? Why don't you just buy a gun?) I respect your right to be a vegan but I'd like equal respect.
9/21/05 1:04 AM
coach

Edited: 21-Sep-05
Japs kill 20000 Dolphins a year??? Let's nuke Japan into a wasteland!!!!!
9/21/05 2:28 AM
HELWIG

"to make it fair." You mean like how fair it is when a polar bear kills a baby seal. Or when a lion singles out and takes apart a pronghorn? Life aint fair, kiddo. Part of what makes man top dog is his mind. You think if bears could make a bombs they wouldnt be nuking the shit out of us!? Hating hunting is a similar line of thought to hating America. Basically just hating who or what is the top dog.
9/21/05 2:53 AM
pa10002

typical bleeding heart self hate. perhaps he should move to an area of canada or alaska where it hasn't been tamed by evil humans and live off the land starting with nothing, better yet maybe the jungles of south america or africa that way there will be better climate for him to harvest plants since he is a vegetarian.
9/21/05 8:16 AM
Hawkeyefan

My fellow outdoorsmen make some damn fine points.
9/21/05 10:07 AM
yomamafool

BIC has nailed it

however,

THIS BIG ASS MOTHERFUCKER WAS SOMETHING ELSE AND COULDVE BEEN SPARED.

it was the end of an era for those that knew him :(

9/21/05 10:32 AM
Ironbar

Natural selection kids, the elk fucked up and now he's some dudes food.
9/21/05 11:52 AM
Munkehed

God gave me the rite to harvest my meal. That's something you vegans can't take away. Don't try to tell me Jesus was a vegan either. The people from PETA tried it, and when questioned where it's found in the Bible they quit answering the e-mails. What a bunch of jokers.
9/21/05 12:26 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But ofcourse, since you're not hypocrites you're all vegetarian. I mean, it would be ridiculous to point the finger on a guy who kills a wild animal with one arrow instead of torturing it in a meat factory for a couple of years, prodding it to a truck, driving it for 12 hours without water and then slaughtering it. Buying the meat from o concentration camp like that, now thats ethical.
finnfighter is correct.
I'm not going to say it was morally wrong to kill it, just a matter of bad taste, really.
Have you ever eaten elk? Not only is it extremely tasty, it's also much healthier than beef.
i think to myself how easy it is for people to hide behind the supermarkets and judge hunting, but i think i would rather hunt for my meat. there seems to be a bit more honor in it, i dunno, maybe i am wrong.
No, you're not wrong. You're absolutely correct. It baffles me how people don't think they are killing an animal when they order a hamburger at a restaurant, by creating demand for dead animals.
The issue is sport killing, not hunting to put food on the table or thinning the herd.
I agree, but where in the article does it say the dude isn't going to eat it?
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough Without ever having felt sorry for itself." -- D.H. Lawrence
Wrong. That's not D.H. Lawrence. It's Master Chief from G.I. Jane.
and like i said in my first post...i have more respect for someone who bow hunts opposed to someone with a high power rifle sitting in a blind waiting for shit to walk by.
And I have more respect for someone who hunts with a high-power rifle sitting in a blind than someone who gets their meat from a supermarket.
9/21/05 12:38 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the hunter in the pic ate the Elk (which I doubt he did), then it is ok...
What is your source for this doubt? Every hunter I know eats his kill or donates the meat to a local homeless shelter.
nowadays we don't need to hunt for food. There is something called SAFEWAY or the meat market.
What's the difference? Killing an animal is killing an animal. If you don't have what it takes inside you to look the animal in the eye and pull the trigger yourself, do you really deserve to eat meat? I know that if I was incapable of killing an animal, I'd become a vegetarian. Besides, why hunt for fatty, shitty-tasting, chemical-filled, abused animals at Safeway when you can get healthier, better-tasting natural meat hunting in the woods?
what i don't understand is how people can rejoice in the death of something beautiful (posing for pictures, etc.)
I agree with this. Every time I kill an animal, I feel sorrow. I feel like it's a necessary evil, if I want to enjoy meat.
I'm not a tree hugger or anything.. I just think it's ridiculous to kill something with the sole purpose of putting the head on display in your living room.
Once again, where in the article does it say the dude isn't going to eat it? Why in the world wouldn't he?
9/21/05 12:45 PM
Munkehed

Slaps Mullet @ Heart with a high five. I personnaly don't feel sorrow for the animal. I feel overjoyed that the Lord my God has provided me with the harvest.
9/21/05 12:48 PM
Mullet @ Heart

seriously LOL if you guys think that these guys kill to put food on the table. A small percentage do.. but by far most of the hunting is done for recreational purposes.
Source, please. Like I said, every hunter I know either eats his kill or gives it to a homeless shelter.
lol if you think the motive for hunting is not recreational.. but for food. c'mon man.. get real.
For every hunter I know, it's both. It is recreational, and they enjoy doing it, but they all eat it or donate it. It's like when I fish. I fish for fun. I'm not a big fan of eating trout. But if I land one that's not going to live (extremely rare), I take it home and eat it that night.
which does tend to take the "sport" out of hunting...when you can sit in blind, camo'd, with your high powered "legal" rifle...sometimes waiting for game that is fed and bred year round.
As opposed to the challenge of the sport you participate in, as you pull up to the McDonalds drive-through for a Big Mac?
9/21/05 12:54 PM
checkuroil

"I respect your right to be a vegan but I'd like equal respect. "

i dont respect men that kill for sport. 

about your predator issues and overpopulation.  first, in this case, as in many, the hunters dont take out the weak animals that are dieing cause they dont make good eats or trophies. they take out the strong ones, like in the picture starting the thread. second, suffering happens for all as they approach death. humans struggle with cancer, dementia, loss of bodily control, etc... but we dont go shooting them cause they suffer.  they have a right to life as much as the animals do.  and again, car accidents and property damage are not excuses for murdering these animals.

about jesus being a vegan, i didnt say that nor do i believe that.

about me going out in the wilderness and surviving, yes, then i might be a hunter. however, that is not the time or situation than anyone on this forum (internet access) lives in.  we now have the option of not eating meat.

finally, all of you guys talk about this great respect that you have for the animals.  last i looked, i dont go around shooting those whom i respect, then taking pictures over their carcass before i put their stuffed head on the wall.

9/21/05 1:03 PM
HELWIG

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. That kind of ends the debate.
9/21/05 1:08 PM
Mullet @ Heart

If a person gains pleasure from killing then that person is fucked up period.
I kinda half-way agree with that. I know I'm the rare one, but when I hunt, it's a reminder to me of what I'm doing when I get a Six Dollar Restaurant Burger from Carl's Jr. It's a gut check for myself to see if I still have what it takes, because I really am an animal lover. All my charitable contributions go to animal charities. I really don't like the killing part. But I feel If I'm going to kill at Sizzler, I have to have it inside me to do my own dirty work too. That's not to say everyone else should live by this code, but I do think it's a damn good one. On the other hand, the people I know who actually enjoy the kill, all seem pretty normal, other than that. Including most of my famly. I have a hard time comprehending how they could possibly enjoy the killing part, but they do. I wish I could understand. It seems sick and twisted to me. But knowing them on other levels, I know that they're good people, so I just have to have faith that they possess a non-evil quality that I don't. I can only hope I'm right about them, but I'm not inside their minds, so I really don't know. I could be right, I could be way off.
If that hunter donated the meet, that means he killed for pleasure not to provide meat for the homeless.
But is that necessarily a bad thing? Despite the hunter's "evil" intentions, homeless people are fed like kings every fall. Those that don't eat or donate it to homeless shelters, give it to family members, or donate it to their local churches to give to their less-fortunate members. Bottom line, people are fed. But, like I said above, I do have to wonder about those who really enjoy the kill.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.