UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Information Economics

9/16/05 3:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roly_Poly_Puppy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Sep-05

Dogbert could you give me a quick rundown on what is Information Economics? Who are the main theorists? If you don't have time just give me a heads up to some pertinent books on the topic. Thanks.
9/16/05 4:00 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

I had a quick squiz on Wikipedia. I notice they use the term Signalling. Is that similar to the Israeli zoologists Zahavi & Zahavi's work on signalling? Has the concept been applied to Economics?
9/16/05 10:16 AM
Dogbert

There was a Nobel memorial arward awarded for work on information economics in 2001. You can find some info on the Nobel homepage. It´s the same in economics and in the work of the Zahavi brothers. The Zahavi actually call it the handicap principle. But both theories were made independently. Check this out!
9/17/05 11:54 PM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 17-Sep-05
Thanks Dogbert. That page had all the information I needed. I actually read 'The Handicap Principle' a few years back when you recommended it on the forum. It's a pretty good book. That link nicely sums up the main points. On another note, I'm thinking of changing my degree major to Economics however I was never any good at maths as a kid (maybe not good, I just wasn't enthralled enough by it to learn about math). Can you recommend any starting theorists or books on Economics? I've read some of Krugmans and Amartya Sens works. What sort of math do I need a good base in to be competent enough to start an economics major? Can you recommend any texts or authors to pursue this?
9/18/05 7:09 AM
Dogbert

Edited: 18-Sep-05 07:16 AM
What you will have to learn is statistics, some linear algebra, some multivariate calculus and constrained optimization. If you are going for a phd there is much more to learn. The educational system here is different from the one in the US. One directly works for the master, there is more specialiciation and calculus is thaught at the highschool level. Good starting books are Principles of Microeconomics by Mankiw for basic microeconomics, Thinking Strategically by Dixit and Nalebuff for basic game theory. I don't know any good really elementary book for macroeconomics. Both books are elementary and use no complex math. The Mankiw book isn't that good that you should buy it if you can get a decent principles text at your library though. Popular books that introduce interesting economics: The New Financial Order : Risk in the 21st Century by Shiller. Freakonomics by Levitt. More controversial books I like: Hard Heads, Soft Hearts by Blinder The End of Poverty by Sachs Interesting economics from mad scientists: Getting it Right by Barro Armchair Economist by Landsburg Law's Order by Friedman
9/28/05 1:41 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 28-Sep-05
Thanks Dogbert.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.