UnderGround Forums

MMA Wagering UnderGround >> Rose's Rant-MLB and NFL

9/16/05 2:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Oddessa
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Sep-05
JoeyOddessa.com

The 2005 college football season is in full swing as we enter Week 3 and the MLB season is coming to a close with every team having less than 20 games left on the docket.

This is a sports fans favorite time of the year, and an excellent time to get an edge on the books with oddsmakers having to release lines on two of the four majors all at once.

However, don't go overboard. Just because there's hundreds of games to choose from doesn't mean you have to have action on all of them. Pick your spots, follow a reputable service, or have your two-year old kid tell you what he/she thinks at the breakfast table every morning. Don't let it overwhelm you, and you're sure to have an enjoyable time of churning out winners while being entertained by these multi-millionaires earning their salaries.

The volatility of this year's MLB standings has really stepped to the forefront in the last few weeks. The seemingly impenetrable lead once held by the Chicago White Sox in the AL Central is now down to a measly 5 1/2 games, and the Cleveland Indians now find themselves with a 1 1/2 game lead in the Wild Card race after winning eight of their last 10 games.

The AL West is a two horse race with LA and Oakland battling it out. Their four-game set in Oakland at the end of this month will most definitely decide who wins that division. The NL West looks to be the only undecided division race in the league since no club is capable of playing above the break-even mark.

That brings us to the NL Wild Card race. Houston currently holds a half game lead at the time of this writing, but the furthest away a team in contention is 5.5 games back and all these teams will face one another in the closing three weeks of the regular season. This is sure to be one of the most exciting finishes a Wild Card race has had since its exception.

The First Week of the NFL season kicked off this past weekend, and there's plenty of knowledge I picked up as I sat back glued to my big screen watching the Superfan package on DirecTV.

New England will run into trouble against a team that has an above average defense in every facet (D-Line, LB's, secondary). Oakland will score a boatload of points this year, but continue to give them up just as fast. Denver's got some serious offensive problems after making a conscious effort to improve its defense in the off-season.

Miami finally has itself a coach and Cincinnati could be a sleeper in the AFC North. Cleveland will be a tough team to handle further down the road once the new guys gel. Houston still sucks, and QB Carr will be knocked unconscious at one point this year due to a very poor O-Line. Buffalo is Super Bowl worthy, but will only go as far as their youngster under center can take them.

Pitt looked even better on offense without "The Bus" and Staley; scary! Both Chicago and Washington will continue to be letdown by their anemic offenses. New Orleans did a fabulous job picking right back up where they left off a year ago, and made thousands of people ecstatic in the process. I wasn't buying all the talk about Carolina going to the Super Bowl before their game, and I'm still not.

Tampa finally has the offense HC Gruden has longed for, but his defense is old. Minny's got MAJOR problems!!! Seattle looks exactly like a carbon copy from a year ago, while Jacksonville's going to the playoffs this year. The Jets are nowhere near as bad as they portrayed themselves to be, and the Chiefs will be better defensively vs. average offensive teams but will get smoked by potent attacks.

The afternoon slate saw some very interesting events occur. SF smoked what has always been a poor STL team on the road on grass, while the Giants pulled away late from the Cardinals in a very wacky game. I still think the signing of QB Warner was a mistake by the Cardinals as I felt the moxie of Josh McCown was worthy enough of giving him another shot this season. Expect a change either due to poor play or injury down the road.

Green Bay is even worse than I thought they were going to be, and the Lions have all the makings of a high-octane offense but are still a few weeks away from punching the gas pedal. SD's pass defense still sucks, and "The Tuna" with a vertical passing game spells trouble for the NFC East. Finally, the Colts are the best team in the league right now. They WILL get home field advantage this season, and they WILL win the Super Bowl. Get those future bets in now, because the values only going to diminish with every passing week.

That just about wraps up this week in sports, and I'll get into college football a bit more next week after seeing more teams play only their second game of the season.

-Mike Rose

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.