UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> What are the top Universities in

9/20/05 4:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Sep-05 04:42 PM

the World?
9/20/05 4:50 PM
GrandInquisitor
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Sep-05
Sorbonne in France Indian Engineering Institute various in the US most of the PolyTech's in France McMaster in Australia The big problem is that the University structure is so different in Europe/Australia that it makes it very tough for American students to go over and have a successful undergrad tenure.
9/20/05 4:58 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Sep-05
Is Sorbonne better then schools like Oxford and Cambridge?
9/21/05 3:43 AM
Revolver of Reason
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Sep-05
it's really easier to rate by country - obviously, U.S., Brit, Canuck, French schools tend to dominate internationally, with a few blips like IIT on the radar screen. Cambridge, Oxford, and ULondon are tops in Britain. the Ivys in the U.S. (Havard, Yale, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania, Cornell, Dartmouth)- and Stanford, UChicago, Duke. for U.S Tech schools - MIT, Cal Tech, CMU are tops- GATech, UCBerkeley, UMichigan bring up the rear, Stanford and UChicago are also great tech schools but also great liberal arts schools - Stanford is up there with MIT and Cal Tech. Berkeley is good liberal arts as well. Indian Institute of Technology for India, definitely. I'm not sure of anything else world class they have produced. in Canada - York, McMaster (I think), and University of Waterloo for technology. in Russia - Moscow State University. I have heard that the Sorbonne isn't actually the top-ranked liberal arts school in France, but some other one is, can someone confirm/deny? Germany? Italy - University of Turin? Spain - University of Salamanca? I have no idea about Japan, and it's a little early to tell with China, their uni system is going to be restructured massively with the urban growth. South Korea and Taiwan- ? info on Latin and South America would be appreciated.
9/21/05 11:49 AM
Andrew Yao

Edited: 21-Sep-05 09:50 PM
9/21/05 12:28 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could add McGill to the Canada list.
9/21/05 1:25 PM
asdf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol. People from the "main" IIT are pretty damned impressive.
11/9/05 10:45 AM
FloridaArm Bar

Edited: 09-Nov-05
Which 75 are they?
11/12/05 4:44 AM
Revolver of Reason

Edited: 12-Nov-05
"harvard, yale, and princeton are superior to the others" ehhh... maybe in graduate, for research, and in the caliber of their professors. it's an open secret in the Ivy League that Cornell undergrad works their students far harder than Harvard and Yale do their students, and that they have been far less susceptable to the grade inflation that has taken over most of the rest of the Ivy League. I'll take a hard worker over a golden boy/girl who's been pampered anyday. (awaits Bea Arthur and disposable underwear jokes)
11/12/05 5:58 AM
FiatLux

I always find these threads interesting because no matter how things change, very little if anything alters how the masses view elite eduction.
11/12/05 8:12 PM
Greggie

Revolver of Reason is very correct. I think for undergraduate education, small liberal arts schools are totaly underrated. I went to one, and totally loved it. I probably wouldn't have stumbled across my chosen field at a large university. Greg
11/14/05 6:40 AM
Revolver of Reason

Edited: 14-Nov-05
" Who cares about how hard they work or lack of grade inflation." people who want to know that the student can actually perform at a college level? by your logic, Harvard should just choose students based on SAT scores and not pay attention to the GPA or level of HS rigor of prospective students... after all, who cares how hard they work or whether their grades are inflated? "but they still (on average) will never be as capable as a randomly picked Harvard student." yeah, OK. I would put engineering and science majors from any decent state school against a communications or English major from Harvard anyday.
11/14/05 7:48 AM
asdf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Nov-05 08:02 AM
"I would put engineering and science majors from any decent state school against a communications or English major from Harvard anyday. " Yes, but that's a slam on English majors, not the school. You wouldn't put a Harvard chem major vs. a Michigan State chem major. You definitely wouldn't do the reverse - an MSU english major vs. a Hahhvahd chem major.
11/18/05 1:56 AM
Revolver of Reason

Edited: 18-Nov-05
Navin - sorry, dude, but I just don't agree with you. "Any Harvard English major could have gotten into UCLA's engineering program." lol, but they couldn't have passed it successfully. also, putting Harvard undergrad engineers and most of their undergrad hard science majors against, say, MIT or Cal Tech, would be a complete slaughter of Harvard. MIT and Cal Tech have their pick of sci/tech students AND work their students brutally AND have no grade inflation. are we going to worship them now too? asdf - he said "any student".
12/2/05 1:34 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Dec-05
IIT grads can be arrogant SOBs at times. My late father had a MS in Civil Engineering from IIT Kharagpur and could never seem to converse with anyone (esp other Indian folks) without mentioning it. "Sir, will that be paper or plastic?" "Hey, I've got a Masters degree from IIT Kharagpur!" "Err..." **************************** On an unrelated note regarding Harvard, can anyone explain to me why the writing in the Harvard Crimson is so utterly ATROCIOUS at times? My unedjumacated ass finds tons to laugh at whenever I read it online. I imagine that the ridicule from students that go there must be constant.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.