UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Should I buy GF a knife?

9/22/05 2:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
T-Man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Sep-05

There's been a couple of unsolved rape/killings in the city and I was thinking about getting a knife for the GF. She said she had thought about it but was worried it would do more harm than good in a confrontation. What do you think about the usefulness of a knife in an untrained woman's hands in a bad situation? Bad idea? Any other recommendations? We live in Canada so a gun is basically out of the question. Thanks.
9/22/05 3:19 PM
Willybone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think she'd be better off with a whistle, shreiker, or a can of OC. Seriously.
Unless she's willing to put in the time training with it, it'd be a last ditch weapon at best.
9/22/05 3:23 PM
4 Ranges

VERY bad idea. When the adrenaline kicks in, she'll either drop the knife, or it'll get taken from her. Either way, it's worse for her. If she wants to have one, she has to train for it. Same thing goes with firearms, OC spray etc. Never give anyone a self-defense tool that they didn't train to use.
9/22/05 3:30 PM
T-Man

ok, no knife it is. thanks guys
9/25/05 10:42 AM
stevekt
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Sep-05
A knife works great on rapists. Since they typically have forced unprotected sex with their victims it is a pretty good idea to cut them and have them bleed on you. Not.
9/25/05 4:55 PM
T-Man

Edited: 25-Sep-05
ttt for the ghost post
9/27/05 11:15 AM
GrandpaB

Edited: 27-Sep-05
Get here a lock blade with a thumb hole or stud and a lanyard. Show her the basics. Rapists are looking for victims, not a fight. If you have a knife in your hand and on a lanyard anyone without a gun and distance is toast. Grandpab
10/28/05 10:06 PM
Islanddogg

Edited: 28-Oct-05
I once saw three big guys go after a middle-aged woman in the parking lot of a local fast food restaurant. Before I even had a chance to help her, she pulled out a blade and the guys took off like scared little children. I've been a fan of knives for women's self-defense ever since..
10/29/05 2:56 AM
T-Man

Edited: 29-Oct-05
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... lots of opinions both ways...
10/29/05 12:45 PM
Aaron Little

If you are going to carry a lethal force tool (like a knife) why not carry a firearm? If you are legally justified in stabbing someone then you are legally justified in shooting them. A knife is a great tool but it is secondary to a firearm in a self defense situation.
10/29/05 1:59 PM
bigbrawler

Being from canada I can clearly say that no. No You can't get away with using a knife in the same situation that you can get away with using a gun. Most definatly if the rapist isn't carying a weapon.
10/29/05 2:10 PM
Aaron Little

Edited: 29-Oct-05 02:59 PM
I confess that I missed the part about the original poster living in Canada.

In the US, or at least in my state, rape or attempted rape is legal justification for the use of deadly force. If you can legally carry it then you can legally use it in such a situation. I would not choose to live in a city/state that did not allow me to protect myself.
10/29/05 3:29 PM
T-Man

concealed carry permit is basically impossible to get in canada.
11/4/05 7:23 AM
Crafty Dog

Edited: 04-Nov-05
I would add that your GF's personality is a consideration here-- is she going to get timid or mad if put in danger?
11/4/05 1:43 PM
krept
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Nov-05
I recommend one of these: http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php small, easy to learn how to use and very good retention. They are custom fit and use one of the best steels available. the bottom line is that this guy has raped and killed women who probably weren't armed anyways. At least this will give her a fighting chance and it's VERY easy to carry (so she won't be tempted to leave it at home) and quick to draw. If that's way out of the budget, check out something like the CRKT Bear Claw, Spyderco something-or-nother and Emerson La Griffe. I'd absolutely take the hideaway knife over those in a heartbeat.
11/5/05 1:32 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Nov-05
cool knife.
11/23/05 1:05 AM
LeftJab22

Edited: 23-Nov-05
i got my girl a knife! do it!
12/16/05 5:59 PM
ironmongoose

Edited: 16-Dec-05
There are restrictions on OC carry in some parts of Canada, as well. I once tried to get a girlfriend to carry. It was just a Spyderco Delica, for goodness sakes. Though I tried to train her a bit, I just couldn't get her used to it. She eventually cut her finger with it by accident, got it infected, and gave it back to me. Anyone's liable to feel very awkward with these things unless you can get them to train adequately. And by adequately I mean LOTS. :-) Training is all about quick draw and deployment drills, from different positions, with the reverse hand, attacking into different angles, warding off with the other hand, etc. You would need a matching drone (completely dull, but otherwise operational) folder for training purposes. http://www.1sks.com/store/spyderco-endura-trainer.html Like Crafty Dog said, it depends on her personality. But for most people (men AND women) I lean toward no. I carry one, but I'm not a guy who thinks that everybody ought to or else they're "sheeple".

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.