UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Weird starting/electrical problem

9/26/05 6:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joey Crawford
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Sep-05

After my truck sits for a while, usually the first start in the morning, it acts like the battery is totally dead. But for whatever reason, the more you try to start it, the more juice the battery gets and it eventually starts. I thought the battery wasn't getting a good connection so I got new terminals, no change. I don't think it's the starter because my radio is resetting every night like it's lost power. I don't think it's the alternator because the battery charges when you drive it. I don't know what would cause the battery to lose enough power to kill the radio but somehow it gets itself pumped up enough to turn the engine over. I'm stumped.
9/26/05 6:35 PM
Joey Crawford
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Sep-05
If it makes any difference, the truck is a 95 Ranger 4wd with the 4.0 liter V6 and a 5 speed. Which is why I'm not too concerned, it's a small truck and I'm a big guy, I can always just give it a shove to start it.
9/27/05 5:41 PM
elmo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-05
Strong battery, weak alternator maybe?  Battery could be strong enough still to recharge itself.  Alternator could be weak but putting out just enough to keep it going.  Just guessing.  Try to bring to Autozone or something and get them to test both (it's free).
9/27/05 5:51 PM
Joey Crawford

Edited: 27-Sep-05
Yeah, the main thing confusing me is why it gets more juice the more you try to crank it over. I think the radio might be pulling power when it shouldn't be, so I'm gonna try that first.
9/28/05 12:29 PM
Joey Crawford

Edited: 28-Sep-05
Pulled the radio last night, no change this morning but I haven't driven it much either. I'll know something tomorrow morning though.
9/29/05 9:23 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Sep-05
That battery is toast.
9/29/05 12:42 PM
Joey Crawford

Edited: 29-Sep-05
Yeah, it's not the radio, because I had the same problem today. So maybe the battery can hold the charge during the day when I'm driving it every few hours, but not over night. I just don't know why it would somehow regenerate itself and crank over after several tries.
7/27/09 5:41 PM
Crush Crawfish

Never figured out the electrical problem, but I did eventually learn that you can take a Ford Ranger end over end and walk away without a scratch. Don't drink and drive.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.