UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> social phobia/anxiety

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/27/05 3:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dino69
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Sep-05

I have been fighting this for years now, since around 14 and im now 25. Im embarassed to admit to people how I feel, but its getting worse and im avoiding situations that need to be done in my social and work life. What steps can I take to help this condition??? any help would be great. Thanks
9/27/05 5:57 AM
str8right

Edited: 27-Sep-05
meds may not be the answer,but it may help.go see the doc.
9/28/05 1:34 AM
Losmeister
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Sep-05
Definitely go see a doc. And if you want more help here, be more specific about the situations causing anxiety, i'm sure there are others on this forum who have experienced the same.
9/29/05 12:19 PM
truemanc1

Edited: 29-Sep-05
My brother suffered from this, and similarly it was worse in his 20's as he got in to his 30's and mid 30's it just dissapeared as his attitude to life changed, he use to be so uptight and took life very seriously and put pressure on himself over silly things and situations, I believe it was a learnt process and therfore can be unlearnt. You will get better as you age, believe me. For now meds may help.
10/6/05 3:38 AM
Bench
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Oct-05
I would suggest going to a psychologist/psychiatrist then they can help you with some strategies to work through it, the problem with medication is that it will come back once you go off it. another thing to do is read up on, internet, books, etc, try to find out the causes of it etc etc. hope this helped.
11/15/05 2:12 PM
Baldilocks

Edited: 15-Nov-05
Please keep us informed of what you do. I'm sure this affects a lot of people. I know I'm in that boat so I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.
4/28/10 10:44 PM
Seamus619

I also have anxiety as well as social phobias and anxiety. I know how you feel exactly.
5/2/10 9:40 PM
DevinS
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum

Ive been dealing with this for a while too. Sucks.
5/7/10 11:41 AM
Dan O'Connell
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 later lol
5/15/10 9:02 PM
WhiteDynamite
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take baby steps out of your comfort zone continously.

Get out of your head and stop worrying about what other people are thinking - reframe everything you do as a social experiment.

Change all of your habits and behaviors, even the small stuff - drive a different route to work, wipe your ass with the other hand, etc. Everything you do throughout your day try to do it differently then the day before.

I've heard some good stuff about both Demonic Confidence and Super Confidence, both by Archer Sloan. They're audio programs that give you daily work to build confidence. A little searching around and you should find them...
5/17/10 9:38 PM
cdmontgo
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhiteDynamite - stop worrying about what other people are thinking

This. There are very few people in the world whose opinion you should actually care about (your loved ones/closest friends). Listen to other people and consider their feedback, but don't let it carry a lot of weight if it doesn't make sense to you. If someone does criticize you and their criticism makes sense to you, then feel free to make changes to improve your quality of life. Everyone goes through this process, so don't make a big deal out of it. Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

Set goals and work toward them. Try to improve by 1% everyday in some aspect of your life. 1% may not seem like a lot, but it adds up quickly.

Take time to reflect on the things you do well. People often focus on what they do wrong, so that they can fix it. Fixing it is good, but also take the time to identify what you do right. That will give you a more accurate picture of where you are, and it will help you keep a positive mindset. Keep moving forward.
7/29/10 4:29 PM
mister deez

5 year old thread, but I guess people still have the same problems. Thanks for the website link, it inspired me to take action on this problem. I dont have crippling social anxiety, but I feel its stopping me from reaching my full potential both socially and professionally.
8/2/10 2:59 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a weird kind of social anxiety. I'm a very social person and mingle well with people of all types, but I have a problem making eye contact (like I feel like I'm staring at people). I've been struggling with this for years.
12/12/10 11:26 PM
owlfeeder
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

to all the people with social anxiety:

try sitting meditation.

ive struggled with social anxiety for Years and meditation has made a HUGE difference. if you can find a vipassana course (look at www.dhamma.org to find one near you), it will speed up the process.
1/23/11 7:53 AM
Cheggers
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, this strikes a cord with me. If you were to meet me you wouldnt think I suffer with this...i probably come across quite confident, im tall, do well with the ladies, have degrees and masters qualifications. but im racked with fucking anxiety and lack of self confidence at times. I have always been this way since I can remember. I will be in a group of good friends and think...why am i here, i have nothing to offer, im awkward, nothing interesting to say etc...next thing i have clammed up and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. With people I dont care about this doesnt happen. I realise I have some confidence issues.

fuck, the above seems whiny as fuck. i would never admit this to anyone in real life, i would just say grow a pair and get over it you miserable bitch.
1/25/11 1:12 PM
WhiteDynamite
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheAssMurderer - I have a weird kind of social anxiety. I'm a very social person and mingle well with people of all types, but I have a problem making eye contact (like I feel like I'm staring at people). I've been struggling with this for years.

Baby steps. As you go about your day make it a goal to make eye contact with people, starting with just a little at first and with people that generally have to be nice - cashiers, waitresses, etc are usually nice simply because their job or tips depend on it. Look into their left eye, and smile as you talk to them.

Also as you're walking through busy places practice looking people in the eye and not looking away until after they do. I'm not saying stare - I assume you aren't retarded so you know the difference between looking and staring....

I used to have similar issues.
1/25/11 2:39 PM
jittaz

ttt for more info, i have generalized social axiety phobia, am currently on medication to help, which it does but i do not want to take medication FOREVER.
1/25/11 4:44 PM
groundfighter2000
540 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jittaz - ttt for more info, i have generalized social axiety phobia, am currently on medication to help, which it does but i do not want to take medication FOREVER.

Are you also doing talk therapy with a professional?
1/26/11 1:19 PM
jittaz

groundfighter2000 - 
jittaz - ttt for more info, i have generalized social axiety phobia, am currently on medication to help, which it does but i do not want to take medication FOREVER.

Are you also doing talk therapy with a professional?

no not at all no time really do u think it would help?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.