UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> elapids released in usa

10/5/05 10:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
drjim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Oct-05

On the og there is a picture of a python that had its guts torn open by an alligator. I guess people have released pythons in the everglades. About 10 years ago my sister ( who lives in the bay area) told me of a rumour that a black mamba had escaped and was on the loose. Have there been any documented cases where someone had released either a taipan or mamba here in the USA?
10/10/05 2:11 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-05
Dunno about that. I'm sure it's possibly happened but i'd hope not. I'd think most likely it'd die either to a predator, or disease, or just live out it's life and die of old age.. I doubt it'd breed unless many were released at the same time. Chances are since most aren't giants or really recognizable to the general public that there could be lots living away out there unnoticed for the most part. I know Iguanas have established colonies in places in Florida though.
10/14/05 1:51 PM
Trust
501 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-05
Here in S. FL there is no shortage of vermin and birds to eat. Other than having to dodge cars I think most elapids would fare pretty well here.
11/9/05 8:33 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-05
Iguanas are all over florida. I probably have about 5 in the trees around my place in west palm beach. We also have cuban anoles, ring tails, and red headed agamas. There is at least one elapid indigenous to america.
11/13/05 3:00 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Nov-05
Yep but i dunno if we've had people releasing enough non-native elapids that they could find one another, breed and establish themselves really. Who knows though lol
1/3/06 1:51 AM
Monroe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Jan-06
I've heard rumors of frilled dragons reproducing in the wild in FL. I'm not sure how true that is (considering they're a desert species), but that would be awesome!
1/9/06 3:43 PM
Trust
501 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Jan-06
Naples and Fort Myers have a problem with Nile Monitors that seem to have established a breeding population. They eat a lot.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.