UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Check out Nova this Tues

10/7/05 5:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jgibson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Oct-05

Next on NOVA: "Einstein's Big Idea" http://www.pbs.org/nova/einstein/ Broadcast: October 11, 2005, 8-10 p.m. ET/PT (NOVA airs Tuesdays on PBS at 8 p.m. Check your local listings as dates and times may vary.) Exactly 100 years ago, Albert Einstein grappled with the implicationsof his revolutionary special theory of relativity and came to astartling conclusion: mass and energy are one, related by theformula E = mc2. In "Einstein's Big Idea," NOVA dramatizes the remarkable story behind this equation. Based on David Bodanis's bestselling book E = mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation, the program explores the lives of the men and women who helped develop the concepts behind each term in the equation: E for energy; m for mass; c for the speed of light; and 2 for "squared," the multiplication of one number by itself. Like a multi-plot novelbuilding to a climactic scene, "Einstein's Big Idea" traces the stories of a fascinating range of characters. Here's what you'll find online: Inquiry & Articles The Legacy of E = mc2 Einstein's big idea has been enormously influential, in ways that reach far beyond the purely scientific. The Producer's Story Filmmaker Gary Johnstone describes how creativity fuels both art and science. The Equation Today Three young physicists contemplate how 100-year-old equation figures into their careers. Einstein the Nobody The patent clerk's career prospects looked bleak just before his "miracle year" of 1905. Genius Among Geniuses To rank with Newton or Einstein, you have to reinvent the way we see the world. Relativity and the Cosmos Examine what many consider Einstein's greatest achievement -- general relativity. Interactives, Audio, & More E = mc2 Explained Hear how 10 top physicists describe the equation in a few minutes or less. The Power of Tiny Things How much energy does a paper clip pack? Test your intuition in this quiz. Ancestors of E = mc2 Meet the visionary scientists whose experiments paved the way for Einstein. Einstein Quotes Seven thought-provoking statements from the world's most famous scientist The Light Stuff Find out why the speed of light isn't always 186,000 miles per second. Time Traveler Explore time dilation in this interactive version of Einstein's "twin paradox." Einstein Time Line Follow the arc of Einstein's life from his birth in 1879 till his death in 1955. Also, a video preview of the program, Links & Books, the Teacher's Guide, and more. http://www.pbs.org/nova/einstein/
10/9/05 1:34 AM
jgibson

Edited: 09-Oct-05
***speechless***
10/11/05 6:59 PM
jgibson

Edited: 11-Oct-05
It's on tonight. Set your DVR's and VCR's.
10/12/05 7:26 PM
Dr.Jonwell
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-05
ahhhhhhh I had to read this frickin today!!! dammit!
10/12/05 11:25 PM
jgibson

Edited: 12-Oct-05
I would have posted this on the OG, but I knew you would have seen it Jonwell. Therefore, I posted it here.
11/4/05 2:55 AM
Schadenfroh

Edited: 04-Nov-05
it completely sucked my balls lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.