UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> New here, say hello!

10/8/05 5:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vermonter
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Oct-05

I've been lurking on the herperground for a month or so now, and im finally making a post to tell you a little about my animals, and how i came to have all four without actually buying a single one. First off is Mim. She's my tabby. I'm talking about her first because this forum is about exotics, but she's worthy of mention. She was born a feral kitten, so domesticating her took some work. My parents bought her along with a brother of hers (who has been killed by a coyote we believe). When they moved into a new condo they asked me if i wanted her and i took her in. Secondly are the ferrets. I've got 3 of em. Their names are: Weasel, Skinny, and Oldie. Weasel is originally a native of ATL. She moved to vermont with my gf, and now lives with me. She also likes to spend her summers in Cape Cod. She really gets around ;) She is pretty small for a ferret, and def. one of the prettiest ferrets i've ever seen. Very cute face, perfect mask, nice shape with just enough fat. She's also got just one and a half fangs, which gives her some extra character. Defining features of Weasel's personality (since all ferrets seem to have strong personalities): she loves to hide certain objects, namely toys and flip flops. She's also afraid of heights, so when you pick her up, she clings to you even with her lower body, or sits on your shoulders without jumping off indefinitely. Skinny and Oldie were ferrets that were taken in by us for a friend of a friend who couldnt keep them for a few months. He ended up abandoning them (at first he tried to take them to the HS, which i wouldnt allow). They are called Skinny and Oldie because we didnt know their names when we took them in, so we gave them temporary ones that became permanent. There names reflected there most prominent features (Skinny is very long and slender, a total stud, and Oldie has very light coloring, is extremely docile, and has ferret pattern baldness on the tail. He also is awake more than the other two (like old people up at 4AM). Anyhow, i love to watch them wrestle. They totally have different styles. Skinny is the alpha male (long, great jumper, aggressive, has a lot of energy) and he fights like a wrestler. He charges in hard, maintains top control, and either pounces, or bites the neck. Oldie is more of a jiu jitsu fighter. Although he act like he's got a broken hip half the time, when he wrestles he's like a young ferret again. He will actually flop onto his back and use his back legs to control and sweep. Weasel likes to take top control if possible, but she's no match for the other two, and skinny often grabs her neck with his teeth and drags her around like a trophy. My ferrets are mostly free range, although we recently caged them up in a 3X3X5 cage (multilevel with hanging hammocks, totally a sweet pad). Before that they have always had free reign, which i think is good for them. Anyhow, probably most of you dont care, but i'm def. a pet lover and if you've made it this far, thanks for listening :) -doug-
10/9/05 9:27 PM
Cire
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Oct-05 09:30 PM
Welcome. It sounds like you have some cool stories and pets. I currently only have a crazy cat(KGB) and two dags, a Basset & Bloodhound(Dr. Watson & Bailey). But I have had my array of pets: Ferret(Princess; girlfriend named her), Caiman Croc(Pacino), Ball Python(The Snake; we were not too creative with that one). I found my ferret in the wild. She either escaped or was let loose. I rescued her back to health and she lived many more years. Incredibly great pet! The Caiman was really really cool and taught me alot about crocodiles/alligators. Very tame but extremely dangerous. The local pet store ended up trading me Pacino for the python plus some stuff.
10/10/05 2:07 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-05
Hi, and welcome aboard! Ferrets always interested me, cool stuff.
10/12/05 11:31 AM
vermonter
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-05
Thanks guys! :) I've got some pics of them that i'll post later on if i can find a place to host em. Speaking of stories, i had a friend stay with me for a couple weeks and one day she left the door open and Weasel escaped. She out and about, digging in people's gardens and chasing birds (or so i hear) for 2 or 3 days all by herself. Someone found her and left a note on my door (we always walk around the neighborhood with ferrets in pockets and on shoulders, so they all know us) and she was retreived. Like i said, she's a very well traveled ferret. Maybe i can snag a video of them wrestling. I've seen Oldie and Skinny do battle at full intensity for more than 30 minutes. Way longer than i can wrestle for, that's for sure. Afterwards they usually eat and pass out in their home under the cupboards (which we affectionately, and appropriately call "Poop City"). -doug-
10/12/05 11:36 AM
vermonter

Edited: 12-Oct-05 11:38 AM
Oh, any tips on getting them to poop in one spot? i've read that it's hard to do because they have too short a though process. They pretty much require one spot in every room if they are to be taught. Also, i've noticed that they almost always shit in the North East corner. There are certainly exceptions (and sometimes the shit is only confined to the Eastern corners) but this seems to be the norm. Very interesting. I don't know if it's coincidence (E.G. those happen to be the darker corners, or more accessable, etc), or if they actually have a sense about it. Curious if anyone has similar experiences. I also noticed that once you put them in a cage, all bets are off. -doug-
10/14/05 9:45 AM
Elvis
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-05

Just wanted to say hi and welcome... :)

Elvis

10/14/05 11:17 AM
vermonter

Edited: 14-Oct-05
Thanks Elvis. Arent you going to get, or already got a ferret? If you need any help with them, let me know! -doug-
10/15/05 1:56 AM
Elvis
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Oct-05

Yeah I have a ferret.  Her name is Ophelia.  She rocks... :) Thanks for the offer, greatly appreciated.

Elvis

10/15/05 12:51 PM
vermonter

CUTE! Thanks for the pics. I keep wanting to post mine.... maybe i can send em to someone who can host? She looks pissed in that second pic. She's got the big-tail going on! My ferret Oldie has a balding tail, and when his poofs out like that his tail looks just like a rat tail. Hey, if you've got any interest in taking the two boys off our hands, just let me know. I've got a friend headed to Australia soon, and she can bring em over. We've got a massive ferret mansion too. It's all yours if you want it. Send me an E @ bjjconditioning@yahoo.com if you do want em. -doug-
10/15/05 12:56 PM
vermonter

Oh, and... we just changed the ferret's food and they all have diarrea now. It might not be the food, but it's wierd that they all seem to have it at the same time with the new food.... Anyone have this experience? I hope its just because its a new food (happens to me all the time) and not because it's a bad food. We're going to give it a few more days, but advice would be appreciated. -doug-
10/16/05 7:26 AM
Elvis

Edited: 16-Oct-05

That would be cool but I'm not sure how our customs would react to Ferrets coming from abroad.

Elvis

10/17/05 11:18 AM
vermonter

Edited: 17-Oct-05
I thought of that. But how hard could they be to smuggle? ;) You think even if they had papers saying they've been spayed/neutered? The thing is, i love them to death, but i'm a fulltime student and i have a fulltime job. I'm also a strength and conditioning coach, and i spend a lot of time working with fighters, and learning, so that i can pursue that as a career (pretty soon it's going to be reality for me!) With what little time im around, i don't think they get the attention they deserve. I still play with them daily, but its not like it was over the summer for them. I know you'd love em and take care of them seeing how well you love ophelia! Speaking of which, i showed my gf her pics and she flipped. :) She said "he LOVES that ferret." -doug-
10/17/05 11:19 AM
vermonter

Edited: 17-Oct-05
PS. We returned said food for a more trusted brand and the diarreah disappeared :)
10/18/05 8:35 PM
Jay-dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Oct-05
Welcome, good stories!I just actually got rid of all my reptiles.I had so much going on i just had to downsize.I gave them to a friend/dealer though.I will start again soon when my son is older.All I have now is my female pit Aniah! ps:Cire, Caimans, while crocodilians are'nt actually crocodiles.Sorry if that was anal.LOL
10/19/05 11:20 AM
vermonter

Edited: 19-Oct-05
Cool Jay-dog. Thanks for the welcome! -doug-
10/25/05 12:50 AM
Elvis

Edited: 25-Oct-05

Anything is possible, but getting them through quarantine would be a long and costly process.

Elvis

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.