UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Just Got an Editing Gig on a Feat.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/10/05 9:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-05

Well I'm sitting in Florida right now in this amazing condo overlooking the beach staring at this feature I just got a gig editing. I'm a bit conflicted as to whether or not I should be down on the beach eyeballing the babes or editing this film. I guess I'll try to do both. A little about the film. It's an independent feature of the Romantic Comedy variety. The first editor got it to an assembly edit phase but that's about it. His cut is riddled with problems so my task is an arduous one. I honestly don't think the first guy knew much about what he was doing. There was no logic to his logging system which makes clip replacement a bitch. Anyway, I should have a solid rough edit by the end of this week. Any of you guys ever pick up an edit job that someone else started and realize that you have a ton of unnecessary work because they didn't know what they were doing?
10/11/05 3:32 AM
Ari2

Edited: 11-Oct-05
Lynn, you ever assist anyone? Clean up is, not uncommonly, the entire job. It's amazing how many "editors" don't know shit about the programs they work with.
10/11/05 1:49 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 11-Oct-05
Ari2.... I never assist anyone but have helped some editors through some spots. You are correct. Many of them really don't know shit about their programs. This one in particular seems to really have been out to lunch when he was trying to edit this film. I'm back in NYC now and will be hunkering down for a few days to straighten this bad boy out.
10/12/05 10:52 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 12-Oct-05
Well I showed some of my work on the film tonight to the director and he was impressed. I'm the 3rd editor to have worked on this film. The first 2 really gave a shitty cut. It truly functioned more as an incredibly rough assembly cut. I'm now bringing it to a solid rough, which I'll finish by next week. After that I'll get it to a final cut and start dropping in the soundtrack etc. I hope to be done in a couple of weeks.
10/18/05 12:03 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 18-Oct-05
PTM2020.... I don't sleep much. I literally sleep about 5 hours a night and work most of the rest of the time (outside of my OG time...lol.) The boxing doc is going great. I have a big meeting on it on Wednesday. Dealing with B-Roll stuff on it now. That's always a pain. Thursday I have a meeting on a new music video I'm shooting. Should be fun. Lots of stuff going on, but I work hard and love challenges. Since this is what I do for a living, it makes better.
10/24/05 11:44 PM
BzGrappla

Edited: 24-Oct-05
Lynn whats our background Information as far as schooling goes or degree??? just curious how u got into that thanks
10/25/05 12:31 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 25-Oct-05
BzGrappla.... I did 9 years in the Ivory Tower of Academia. I did 5 years in the land of architecture/landscape architecture with some graduate concentration in computer animation/multi media. I then went off and got an art degree after that with film as a minor. I focused on multi-media art. I did some more grad work after that. When I was in school, I did heavy loads year round as well as every summer. I ended up with over 325 credit hours. Basically, I am overly educated. I obsess about learning everything I can when I am involved in it. If you saw my library, I have basically every film book at barnes and noble at my place. When I first moved to NYC, I was showing my films in museums and galleries internationally. They were sort of cinema verite' docs. Basically, that's the long and the short of it. For a period during all of this I owned an interior architecture/furniture design firm here in the city but closed it after 9/11. It was a great practice and I had 14 employees working full time. I had fun in BJJ during all of it and am not solely focused on my film work.
10/25/05 9:39 PM
BzGrappla

Thats my next question How did you like architecture or being an Architect?? can the money be good??? Urban Planning??
10/25/05 10:57 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Urban Planning is a great field if you are in the right area. I had to take some classes in it when I was in school. They were truly intriguing. I no longer am in the design field other than some of my furniture still being sold here in NYC. I'm repped by a showroom here for some of my designs. If you are looking to make money in the arch. biz, there is money to be had, but it depends on you and the firm you are hired by. I had my own firm so life was good. Architecture is a great field. My focus shifted towards furniture design with interior architecture being the other part of what I was doing.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.