UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> hapkido

10/11/05 11:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Frogs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Oct-05

Anyone have any experience with hapkido? How similar or different is it from aikido.
10/12/05 11:19 AM
Willybone
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-05
I took it for 3 years.
It's very ecclectic, but at the very simpliest, I'd describe it as "Aikido crossed with TKD". That's an oversimplification, but it's a start. It's both hard and soft at the same time. It started off as a hybrid art. The Koreans took some cool Japanese techniques, added what they felt was missing, and have continued to import forms, techniques and weapons from other arts.

We did lots of techniques that were just like aikido. Going from a grab or an attack and using minimal force to apply a joint lock (often wrist) or throw your opponent. But, after we'd applied the lock or throw, we were taught to follow up with strikes, lots of them.

On top of the aiki techniques, we learned the same crazy kicking style of TKD. High kicks, spinning, jumping, double and triple combos. Lots and lots of kicking.

Unlike TKD, we spent a lot of time punching, too. My school taught boxing-like techniques but that may not be standard.

We learned what could be called "judo-lite", too. There were judo techniques, but no full-resistance sparring. It included body throws (instead of wrist/arm) and some light groundwork, like escapes and straight arm bars. Lots and lots of breakfalling and rolling. LOTS.

We did weapons, but only for forms. Like other part of HKD, weapons have been imported from other arts. I learned sword (katana), tonfa, and cane.

I felt like the HKD school I went to was quality. They taught a wide variety of techniques and approaches. There was an emphasis on fitness and toughness. And I was able to find a core of fellow students with an interest in training realistically, including grappling in NAGA.

However, I've also seen some really god-awful McDojos with Hapkido on the sign over the door. Be careful.
10/13/05 10:17 AM
Willybone
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Oct-05 10:17 AM
got billed to me as the "brutal"..... too lethal for sport version of TKD
Well, in some ways it is.
When we entered our first TKD tournament, we were told, "It's just like sparring in class only you can't punch to the face or throw your opponent."
So, what I learned was at least a bit more inclusive than TKD, IMO.
10/14/05 11:39 AM
Willybone

Edited: 14-Oct-05
you definately trained somewhere better than i did....

I'll be honest, in addition to learning some decent stuff, I also endured hokey spiritualism lectures and excercises that involved clenching my anus hundreds of times.
No, I'm not kidding.
It eventually got too hard to cherrypick the good stuff and avoid the silliness, so I had to leave.

It was a very mixed bag.
10/28/05 12:18 AM
yusul
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Oct-05
hapkido didn't import weapons from anywhere else. i've yet to see an organized system of cane fighting that predated hapkido, which isn't even in the daito ryu tradition where it came from. also, the sword tradition likely came from daito ryu, as it neither resembles kendo or haedong kumdo. ditto with the stick tradition. while there are only so many ways to kick, ji han jae a highly ranked hkd mater claims to have invented the spinning heel kick. whether or not it is true, the hapkido kick has different mechanics, unles you learned from a tkd /hkd school, which is really a tkd instructor, who learned a few hapkido techniques. the only real external integration comes from chinese medical theory, regarding chi gung, acupuncture, cupping, osteopathic work. of course, the hkd schools that teach realistic resistance and SD, are as about as rare as a tai chi school that does the same.
10/28/05 4:54 PM
Willybone

hapkido didn't import weapons from anywhere else.
It may have just been something my school did. I did learn cane, which seemed pretty unique, but we also had tonfa and sai forms which seemed very Japanese, and fan and Chinese sword forms that were very close to Chinese forms with the same weapons. Again, that may have just been my school and not the federation as a whole.
10/28/05 10:11 PM
yusul
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

willybone, good point. sai and tonfa are definitely japanese. i haven't run into a hkd school that uses it, myself. fan is used like a short stick, from what i've seen.
10/31/05 10:27 PM
glock4life
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Oct-05 10:27 PM

I trained in Hapkido as well for 4 years and have my 1st Dan in it. Everything willybone said is pretty much true, and i've pretty much abandoned all of my HKD training for grappling and MMA training.

With that said, as a police officer and former bouncer, HKD has been the core of what I use to control and restrain aggressive subjects. The wristlocks and standup grappling techniques are way better than the pressure point and basic locking techniques I learned in the academy. I literally have bet my life on HKD "on the job" .

Also, the Gracie self defense techniques and Hapkido self defense techniques are absolutely identical. Incidentally, Royce's kickboxing coach is a Hapkido instructor, but i'm not sure if he still trains with him. 

12/4/05 11:54 PM
Pakyon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Dec-05
I have trained in Yudo and Hapkido and there is NO Daito ryu in Hapkido.
12/5/05 3:15 PM
Stickgrappler
1353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Dec-05
from what i've seen, the fan has aspects of the dan bong/yawara/short stick as well as adding in the distraction elements inherent in the fan. but since fan is slightly longer than basic yawara, there seems to be different strikes than basic hammerhand strikes with short stick. that clenching anus thing generally goes along with tongue on roof of mouth. it's to connect the microcosmic orbit - to help chi/qi/hei/ki flow - something like that.
12/9/05 1:05 PM
Willybone

Edited: 09-Dec-05
that clenching anus thing generally goes along with tongue on roof of mouth.

Yup, that was part of the lessons, but I generally only remember the awkward anus part.

On the other hand, my class was FILLED with hotties, so there was some good imagining to be had during the lesson.
12/9/05 4:33 PM
Robkali

Edited: 09-Dec-05
Pakyon, if you have trained in Yudo & Hapkido BUT NOT Daito Ryu... How can you say that HKD does not have Daito Ryu techs. in it?
12/10/05 12:33 AM
hama1

Edited: 10-Dec-05
Most Hapkido instructors that I met who trained in Korea have all told me it has derived from Daito Ryu.
12/16/05 2:12 AM
NORCALJUDOKA

Edited: 16-Dec-05
I almost have my blackbelt in judo and i took aikido for two classes and they said that i threw too hard and that I needed to soften a bit. Judo is way more effective than aikido we took a rader gun to class one night and I was throwing people at 59 mph and my instructor was throwing people at 66 mph. Do the math i'm pretty sure that is KO. Keith

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.