UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Trying to use less fuel

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/12/05 8:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Oct-05

I put in a solar water heater in last month. This saves me about half my electric bill. I feel that if a majority of the people in the US put in solar water heaters there would be no energy problem and it would buy the USA some time. I also bought a Scion XB. The ride is not as nice as my Avalon but I get pretty good gas milage and a lot of people like my car! My wife still wants a full sized truck which I think is retarded. She never goes off roading or hauls stuff. They are safer in an accident but they are less able to avoid accidents IMO. I see a lot of accidents in my job and I haven't seen too many people get hurt too badly in small modern car even when they are totally mangled, except if they hit a big truck head on on the highway. Anyway my house has compact flourescent lights, I put up 3 skylights which really light up the house. I'd buy a solar electric system if they can lower the cost and efficiency. I think Solar voltaics with silicon are not the answer and the answer might be a striling engine powered by mirrors or high effiency solar pannel with mirrors lighting up the pannels (see sunflower on Google). Basically I read that every dollar spent to conserve power saves 3 bucks in your solar capacity needs. I am looking forward to more feasible ways to conserve power.
10/17/05 12:57 PM
kanotoa
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Oct-05
This may seem gay but I am also thinking of putting up a small clothes line. Hanging up everything would be gay but I figure this would be a good thing for big stuff like blankets, my gi, towels. The dryer is one of the biggest energy hogs so this will save a little bit more. I got rid of the water heater (solar). My lights are almost all CF (except for the bathrooms that get turned off and on constantly which kills CF). I got a fuel efficient car, I also got a push lawn mower that I try to use more instead of my riding mower. I try to drive less. I still have to install my solar vent fan which should make the house a little cooler. I am also thinking of putting more power strips to turn off stuff to eliminate phantom loads. The next refrigerator I buy will be the most enegy efficient model I can get. I also clean the dust from the coils from my present model.
10/31/05 5:36 PM
kanotoa

Edited: 31-Oct-05
I put up a small clothes line too, the single pole kind with the strings in a square. I will us it for sheets and towels. My Gi too.
11/9/05 8:19 AM
Ponyboy
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Nov-05
Don't run the sprinklers if you have a well because the pumps use lots of electricity. I saved 40 bucks a month by doing that.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.