UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> So Flo2 now available!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/14/05 11:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-05

SBGi Vice President, East Coast Regional Director, and 2003 North American Grappling Association's Instructor of the Year, Luis Gutierrez brings you the second in a series of sets on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu dedicated to innovation and the technical pursuit and practice of the art. Much like its predecessor, So Flo 2 brings together unique and dynamic components of BJJ that readily blend in with one another and will surely offer your own game new and very innovative avenues to work with. DVD 1 - Covers the pry bar, a simple yet great tactic to attain, maintain or recover cross sides as well as switching to the reverse scarf for three very unique ways of getting mount. Once working from the reverse scarf the three ways to secure mount will assure you get there without your opponent knowing how or when you initiated the transition and also leave them with very little defense to stop what is essentially a cycled triple threat of pressures to mount. Part two of this DVD covers cross side drags, yet another unique So Flo approach to taking the back and one that ties seamlessly in with the previous material on the harness. The DVD ends with more information on tempo rolling and improving the learning curve of jiu-jitsu through progressive and measurable methods created by flow rolling. DVD 2 - Is a FREE BONUS DVD by two of our purple belts, Leo Kirby and John Davis, who cover the fundamentals of the Z-Guard (shin across the belly guard) from attaining it, securing it, and attacking from it. Leo and John have filled this DVD with tons of options from a guard that is available to all levels of students in BJJ and it will surely have you going back again and again for more. This set like So Flo1 , will surely revolutionize your current game by offering you a highly creative and systematic methodology that functions "out of the box" and will have your opponents and training partners wondering how you ended up where you did and how. View promo clip: http://www.onedragon.com/videos/soflo2promo.wmv Ordering available at: www.onedragon.com
10/14/05 4:28 PM
Neckcranku
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Oct-05
Great video clip!
11/28/05 4:45 AM
Shinken4
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Nov-05
Link
12/17/05 6:19 PM
jkdrules

Edited: 17-Dec-05
Very good stuff!

12/28/05 2:50 PM
roblewis73

Edited: 28-Dec-05
this was my favorite christmas present, great stuff as always!!!
2/3/06 2:53 PM
asymmetrik

Edited: 03-Feb-06
i finally got to borrow and watch So Flo2 and absolutely agree that it's fantastic. i can't wait to start working these techs into my game. one thing that really stood out to me was the reverse scarf section since this is (like Luis mentioned) one of the only ways i'm able to pin much bigger opponents. i do have a question about arm position preference when the goal is to pin larger opponents (and of course take the back). i've always done what i guess would be called a "modified" reverse scarf where my top arm is controlling their hip/torso with my elbow far back into their armpit (i think i got this from watching Marcelo Garcia and/or Eddie Bravo's stuff). which do you think is a more secure way to pin (in general)? are there more escapes available against one than the other? also regarding the back, it seems to me that reverse scarf (as on the dvd) allows you to set up/initiate taking the back, while the "modified" reverse scarf is more of a reactive way? maybe i'm just still in awe of the techniques i just watched. great dvd. thank you! -erik
2/3/06 6:22 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Erik, Thanks much. I am not clear as to what you are reffering to as far as the different reverse scarf pins. The ways I pin are always to permit or allow for me to play my game. I don't force a thing. Reaction is fun but response carries the added benefit of awareness and "one step ahead" set ups on your part. In other words, I love to be surprised and have a chance to surprise myself as well and this is what any reflex or raw reaction creates but prefer responding. Response implies readiness fo some sorts and that is why I prefer to leave a little wiggle room so that I have a half beat advantage on anything they have been lead to feel/ think will work. At least that's the idea LOL. Ayway, from what i can tell, are you saying you are not controlling their farm arm or pinning it down? -Luis
2/3/06 9:17 PM
asymmetrik

Hi Luis, Thanks for the reply and for the clarifications. I definitely see the advantages of your strategies and hope to develop a game very similar. A lot of the time when I'm on top I try to impose a heavy pressure game which is of course flawed since most everyone is much larger than I am. Guess it'll come with more time. As far as the "modified scarf" pin I've been using, yeah, I'm not controlling their far arm except for shoving it backward and getting it up off the mat as much as possible using my elbow/tricep. My palm is flush against their ribs and if they're short enough I'll grab their belt/ pants to control the hips as much as possible. My butt is backing up their near side arm and my near arm is either grabbing their pants at the hip or monitoring their legs. Eddie calls it "twister side control" in his book. Marcelo uses it quite a lot to take the back. I've had a lot of success with it, just figured I'd get your opinions on both positions. Thanks again, -erik
2/4/06 12:45 PM
Luis Gutierrez

Edited: 04-Feb-06
Erik, If I rember correctly I show or explain both ways on the set but regardless, the concept is to lock them down via structure more so than pressure or through technique more so than power. Obviously both are always present but a smooth or fluid game favors more of one than the other or better stated, better timing and awarenss with when to use each. To pin is not always to control and that is my main point when coaching position. In other words, pin often carries with it the "at all cost" mentality where I have found control allows for more freedom and healthier strategy for training and overall performance. If I take a beginer and coach pinning they will always do so with everything they got as that becomes the goal. If I instead coach control, they naturally understand that movement, transition and set ups are necessary and must work together to keep that control. I guess pinning is a certain stop where as control by its very nature is open to many variables. In the long run, your jiu-jitsu must take into account better days than others and eventually better years than others. This means playing more than one game or having more than one strategy. The ground or foundation must in my eyes be about timing and awareness over what you can force on another or yourself to do. Injuries, age, illness and just the ebb and flow of life, bills, family, etc all play into your game so why not make your game as open and changing as is our day to day living? So, do you drive in on them through your toes and hips through your shoulders with all the endurance, cardio, speed, power, weight lifting and youth of your being every time you roll or perhaps save all that for a split moment of necessity when you have been out smarted? I truly understand the joy of power plays, styles and games but must also stress what is most lasting and rewarding which is intelligence and the ability to learn over time from mistakes. I coach my kids for example on pure principles off structure and grace in movement. You don't think they are all about the joy of speed and power and seeing what their bodies can do on pure athletisicm? Hell yes but they do so in the grid of structure and flow which is what I coach to all ages. This is what makes a champion in my eyes. Some oe who has the intelligence of presence which embodies their entire being. This is defined by both technique and attribute but be clear that one governs the other though both are displayed equally. Going back to your question, I use both as need be and as the day and moment dictate but the moment I use too much pressure, I personally feel it wear on me almost as much as it wears on them. Instead I allow my pressure to be more about control over time and the ability to be one step ahead. Enjoy the ability to move while you have it. Its your ability to move that should nullify theirs or set them up for yours. -Luis
2/5/06 3:28 PM
asymmetrik

Edited: 05-Feb-06
Incredible information and definitely something that I'll be referring to often. I'm really looking forward to the book :) Thank you!
2/13/06 4:21 AM
Shinken4

Edited: 13-Feb-06
Luis, what would it cost to ship SoFlo 1 and 2 to South Africa? I know this isn't the forum but it's usually quicker than e-mail. Thanks
2/13/06 5:05 AM
cdog1955
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luis, Your statement "I coach my kids for example on pure principles off structure and grace in movement. You don't think they are all about the joy of speed and power and seeing what their bodies can do on pure athletisicm? Hell yes but they do so in the grid of structure and flow which is what I coach to all ages" really opens my eyes to new path of thinking. I am at the other end of the age line (old), and one of the reasons i started training was to help try to keep my body able to move (man its hard sometimes), and i really enjoy watching your dvd's because of the movement you guys employ while rolling. Your talk of understanding structre is where i am kinda in the dark on understanding, is there places on your dvd's where i can concentrate to get a better understanding of structure, and maybe try to start thinking in this mindset? thanks for any info!
2/13/06 9:12 AM
Luis Gutierrez

Shinken, $16.00 I would send it Global Priority. Thanks much, -Luis
2/13/06 9:29 AM
Luis Gutierrez

Cdog, Have you looked at any of Matt's material with the fundementals of the game? FJKD 2 and Florida Seminar 2003 have plenty as will the FKD 3 series on which many of the organization's coaches put in their unique approaches to the basics. My DVDs teach primarily through example since its a visual medium and I did not want to take anymore time away on interview type formats. I think they show the concepts of timing and awareness through movement in both play and through matches in that flow comes easier when you can stay ahead of your opponents intentions through proper structure and transistion. I am juggling quite a few projects but am writing it all down more so than posting lately to finalize a small book I would like to self-publish on BJJ and MA in general. I would recommend Matt's material primarily as he has been a huge influence on me with the explaining and translation of what we all do athletically. I think I myself compliment his ability to get to the root structure of the art by expressing its dynamic if that makes any sense. I have yet to find any other BJJ coach with as much understanding of what lives in everyone's game and then the ability to express it quickly and simply as it is. Have you also looked into coaches like Roy Harris or Michael Jen? Each of these men go directly into methodical and detailed explanations of how and whay they do waht they do. Though different in expression, they may assist you in putting it all together. Roy now has a set on BJJ over 40. I have not seen it but am sure it will cover solid ground. Again, we all learn differently so I have decided since I learn through a way that is very visual and conceptual....I will be putting down in print as that seems to be the best challenge for me and what my own approach and expression needs; some explaining. LOL... Thanks for the thoughts. The workings and details of BJJ as it should be taught and worked on under 18 and over 40 is exactly what BJJ between 19 and 39 always needs! -Luis
2/15/06 5:00 AM
Shinken4

Edited: 15-Feb-06
Luis, Sorry to be a pain in the ass but is it $16 for both or $16 each. Thanks and regards
2/15/06 5:20 AM
Luis Gutierrez

Edited: 15-Feb-06
Shinken, ($16.00) That should cover both. It may be a few dollars more. -Luis

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.